Universal Clash Royale (by Supercell)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by oscar123967, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah that seems like a pretty terrible strategy. Even games where you do absolutely nothing still take a minimum of around a minute to lose. So, say you're at 1,500 and want to make it under 1,000 so your chests are "easier" you're looking at (assuming a -25 loss per game) a 20 minute commitment to then steamroll 4 idiots to get your crown chest (which again, would probably take you another 5 minutes minimum, likely 10).

I'm not doubting people do this kind of dumb shit, but to argue it's saving anyone time is really silly, as there is absolutely no time savings to speak of. Even against brutally difficult opponents you can brute force ten trophies in far less than a half hour.

2. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    This is intense gaming, so exciting, glad I kept playing, waiting for global launch.

3. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Man idk what I did but I screwed myself. I was up over 1500 trophies then changed my deck and lost all the way down to 1200 trophies hahaha now I can't remember what I had originally that worked so well. Oh well back and forth battles which are fine to me as I absolutely enjoy this game

4. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    #304 nodoctors, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    This post is just wrong. Towers don't always have equal health and damage considering people get mismatched by a level very often right now, and I'm sure still will from time to time when the game goes global. Regardless of this fact, the cards are upgradable to have more health and damage, and where your card levels stand in comparison to your opponents doesn't seem to be viewable during the match. Honestly, there is never really a time in this game where you can flat out say "you have the same power as your opponents." Different tower levels, different card levels, different cards available to you, etc. The only time where you can say people are truly on an even playing field is if they've all sunk thousands of dollars(people have poured 5k and still haven't maxed out the cards yet holy shit think about that. No, seriously, think about that) and have the same maxed out base, same maxed out cards, in the same maxed out deck. Good luck getting there.

That said I'm currently level 4 and thoroughly enjoying this game. I'm just half laughing and half disgusted by the combo of people thinking this takes more skill than it does, and disregarding just how blatant the pay to win is, and how anti-competitive it actually is. You can have fun with this game without trying to cover up what it really is. And it is fun. So uh....anybody get that Touch Arcade 2 clan going yet?

5. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I think it takes a good amount of strategy, especially after you know what cards your opponent has in his deck and how he uses them. I've managed to take out a couple of people higher level than me :D.

I dont think the microtransactions break the matchmaking system. I feel like I'm always in a decently balanced match for it being a CCG game. Microtransactions definitely do break trophy pushing though, which is why I dont bother with it.

Honestly compared to many other CCG styled games, I think this one is one of the top when it comes to fairness in matchmaking.

6. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    More balancing changes - http://forum.supercell.net/showthread.php/998576-Balance-Changes-in-Context-(Early-February-Update)

7. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    It's important to note that I do think this game absolutely takes skill, and that you can totally outplay the enemy depending on your timing, card comboing, and efficiency in skillshots. It has depth and the more cards that they add, the more depth there will be. But I do think a lot of people are overselling the strategic aspects, and underplaying the pay to win aspects. You don't have to brainwash yourself into thinking you and your opponent are truly equal in a game people readily buy power in to still have fun with it, or outplay those with better cards.

8. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I agree with you nodoctors, I deleted the game 6 times now because I got over run by Some people that clearly put money in the game thus pay to win.

I am ok with pay to win but as long as it is not global I want play again.

Most of the time it's just putting out every card you have it's more like button bashing like in a fighting game Ha Ha.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

How can I directly spend money to beat people? Seems like all you get is more cards, which I can just get myself for free?

10. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    You can buy the prince and witch for 2000 coins that's pay to win.

11. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I spent my earned emeralds for coins which gave me the Prince. I didn't pay (real money) to win. And FYI? I've outgrown the Prince and now use other strategies.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Wait so how do I win by spending the in-game coins I unlock by playing on a card with several hard counters?

13. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    #313 ROGER-NL, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    It's a fun game not more not less that's all I say.

14. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Just making sure lol. Sounded like you disagreed. Sure its no starcraft, but skill is definitely still there. And best of all its super fun

Each to their own I guess. I dont find it too bad. I personally havent ran into problems; that could be from played CCG for years and being used to it or just by sheer probability. Or im brainwashed ofc

You could be at a stable trophy count, then buy a bunch of magical chests. I guarentee if you're a decent player and have a developed strat you'll have a long win streak. BUT that wont last too long as Eventually you'll be matched with people who have a similar trophy count.

But I mean what CCG doesnt this apply to.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

That's what I'm wondering. It seems like the complaints people have about Clash Royale apply to literally every collectable card game that exists or likely ever will exist, both digitally and physically.

16. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    Anybody have a TA CLAN I CAN GET IN IM LEVEL 6???

17. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    The timing of this is funny. I was going to link you to a video from Clash on Gan's channel I saw last night but now his channel has been banned hah. Here's the link anyways just in case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kWAT5nAL6E

In the video, he and Chief Pat(both of these players are very high ranking, Pat being number one for a hot minute) go over a replay of a player they figured has put about 5 thousand dollars just into the deck he had shown since they were all one level off from being max. Pat being at the top was the one matched against him, and within one devastating wave he gives up and explains the damage and health differential between someone who has put in about one thousand dollars, vs someone about five times that into their card levels.

That is how you directly spend money to beat people. You raise the cards to a level that would take everybody else reasonably a decade to grind and then you coast to the top and sit there until the other gemmers catch up. To be more specific, the most efficient manner of gemming and card boosting is to dump all 100 dollar gem packs into the magical chests exclusively and to try not to spend too much gold in the card shop, saving it for the upgrades which eventually cost thousands of gold to upgrade just once per a card in the later levels.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

It seems kind of crazy to call this game pay to win by looking at the absolute top tier of player. Chief Pat is THE Clash of Clans streamer/YouTube guy, I'd expect the game on that level to be a game of who spent the most. Looking at that sort of thing isn't even in the same universe of what players in this thread will experience. It's like saying racing is pay to win because you could go out and buy an F1 car if you wanted.

19. ruphio

ruphio Member

May 8, 2012
    Are we going to start a second TA clan?

20. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    Eli, it's an example that works across all tiers. If you are stuck in place in a particular arena, you could pay to open up chests which will not only level up your cards, but work towards leveling up your base which gives you more attack damage and health overall. You can't argue that that doesn't help you immensely. You don't have to go full on "F1 racer" and gem out a thousand dollars to see these effects. You can be fully cognizant that money = power in this game and still have a blast with it. Again, I'm level four, having a blast, and would like to get into the next TA clan if possible.