Universal Clash Royale (by Supercell)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by oscar123967, Jan 4, 2016.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Getting bored of those spam decks just had a guy using all cheap minions and had about 4/5 spawn buildings out. It's just silly

2. Setz

Setz Member

May 18, 2015
    Fireball? Arrows? Wizard? All pretty basic counters to spamming low cost

3. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Lightning spell and Rocket work well but it is annoying as you spend all your elixir to defend against the spam but then they drop a balloon or giant down the other side.

4. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #244 GiHubb, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Sometimes when I win a battle I get a silver crate and sometimes a gold crate - is this random or is there some kind of rule behind it

EDIT: read some earlier posts on this thread. People seem to think it's random aside from some special occasions - such as when you win your first Arena 2 battle and you get a magical crate.

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Deleted the game it's not worth it sorry.

6. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I am almost to arena 4 and level 5, haven't spent a penny. But I hit a huge wall and I don't win games as much anymore. It's easily because I refuse to spend money. I am not loosing because of strategy. It's because other people have higher level cards.

This is a fun game to play but man is it p2win early on.

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm not sure I agree with this, as the way the trophy system works you're getting matched up by overall win/loss rates and skill level. If you rank up on a big win streak, you're going to be matched up with people who have similar trophy levels and they could have gotten there on lucky streaks themselves or by buying cards. What you're likely seeing is the matchmaker putting you where you should be, with most of your games being a pretty challenging 50/50 win/loss chance. When I started playing, because I've got a pretty huge history of playing CCG's I was doing better than most people just because I understand how things like mana curves work, so I was just steamrolling everyone.

Now I'm closer to a 50% win rate, which is fine as I like that the game has gotten a lot more challenging. It's a big mental thing though, as it's real easy to look at a game like this where you can pay money and just immediately jump to that conclusion as to why you're losing. It's a lot like the phenomenon you see in MOBA games where people just incessantly blame their teammates for losing because it's easier to just point your finger at something/someone then be analytical about what you could do differently to improve your play without the best cards, teammates, or whatever.

It's like people in the Magic world complaining about how their deck hates them, how they got mana screwed, or whatever else. It's hard to be like, "I lost that game because I was simply outplayed."

8. pisiform

pisiform Active Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Interesting game and I can certainly see how this will open up and expand in the future in the way that Hearthstone has. Only been playing 36 hours but its getting its hooks into me.

Anyone got a good clan spot open? Can't claim to be very strong at present but I'm playing regularly.

#YGR8J2C

9. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    +1 to Eli for pointing this out.
    I'm not a rookie to CCG's either and I know when I've simply been outplayed and when the enemy just has better cards than I do. I am on a different account so I couldn't spend money if I wanted to (which I'll be completely honest, I am apt to do with certain games like this) but I've made it to Arena 4 and sit between 1390 and 1350 trophies. I win some and I lose some, I'm not a "pro" but I have a blast playing. I'm ok with that knowing that I haven't spent a dime. I see people with lots of epics and I still manage to win just because they play them stupidly or because I got my right card combo at the right time and can counterattack properly. There are times when I play something and the enemy counterattacks and I audibly say "shit, I got caught for overextending on that one" This game is a game of strategy and plays and misplays like hearthstone or MTG get you rekt. You need to know your opponents and your decks the same. Know what you can put out and when. Don't go putting your minions straight on the bridge everytime unless you know they overextended. I place certain troops in the back wall and by the time they get to the bridge I have supporting troops to go with them. Yes an unfortunate fireball or whatever comes every once in a while but it works more than it doesn't. I usually wait to go HAM until I see they have used all their mana on something. Know the card costs for everything it helps.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Something else to consider is that the number of players now is very low compared to what'll likely be playing when it launches worldwide. When I play at off times and the game has to search for a few seconds I sometimes get matched with someone who has way more trophies than me. In Clash of Clans though, the difference is often microscopic with regards to who the game is matching you with because they've got enough players that their matchmaking is basically flawless aside from the random off-chance of finding someone purposefully de-ranking. I imagine when Clash Royale goes worldwide the matchmaking will similarly improve.

11. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    When you arena up, you're hitting people who've been in that arena for some time. So it's a 'natural' pay wall. Eventually, you'll grind your way through it... but it usually means getting demoted again for me.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I think it's super exciting when you break through though, as getting to a new arena is super tough especially when you're like 50 trophies off.

13. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    On that regard I just made it to Arena 5 (; still haven't paid a cent

14. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm hovering around 1000 trophies at the moment, I still find it hard to decide what I want in my deck with there being so much choice.

15. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    THIS!
    Patience is a virtue.

16. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Its a rock-paper-scissors game. Most of my losses come from when they have a better team comp, not different card levels.

17. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Sorry for this post but I am back in the game can't resist it Ha ha.

18. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Starting to match people with freeze spell. Man, now thats a good card lol. I really want it

19. PirateRidingParrot

PirateRidingParrot Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2015
    Did they give a date for full release? Everyone's saying it's awesome but I can't try it in my country