Universal CLARC (by Matthias Titze)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    If you read through the thread you will see that there was an issue with pricing on the app when it was submitted to Apple. This was subsequently rectified. The developer has been on here to apologise over this error and asked that anyone that has been affected should contact them.

I have played through the lite version again and i am going to purchase the full version despite the control issues on the iPhone. The game is very enjoyable and polished in every other way. I only hope that as the game progresses the control issues don't become a major obstacle. But it's a chance I am willing to take.

2. Skimdraft

Skimdraft Member

Mar 12, 2014
    Skimdraft Lead
    Avignon, France.
    Amazing work 0__0 i'll get it soon !

3. I played the first two levels, which were fine. But then out of curiosity I tried the bonus level, and the controls were really getting in my way (I got to the part with the walking laser). I would love to see a couple of different options -- maybe even let us move the arrow keys where we want? It seems like a great game, and I'd like to be able to enjoy it properly.

4. CLARC GoldenTricycle

Mar 25, 2014
    #44 CLARC GoldenTricycle, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    It's the DEV again:
    Sorry again for the price drop issue. We did not plan to rob any player that bought the game instantly after release. That would make no sense as we probably earned 10$ from that but on the issue are nearly provoking a shitstorm.
    This accident happened for two reasons:
    1. The team did not decide for a price for a long time. Initially we wanted to charge 4.99$ but two weeks before the release decided to make CLARC more affordable. However, as the webforms used by Apple are very confusing and moreover locked as long the app is under review by Apple, we did not manage to adjust all price settings correctly. Add to that the confusion between Tier4&5 which are Apple's abstract price descriptions that you have to compare to a huge matrix for all currencies.
    2. The release came as a surprise for us. We did not plan on a release that early, but just sent the app to Apple for review. However, it seem that three months back we somewhere set a release date to February, which we never changed. When we finally submitted the App to Apple for review, they instanly pushed it to the store without telling us. That is why the price point stayed online for a while, before we even noticed the app was up. To that, please add some hours for Apple pushing our adjustments through their system online.

5. CLARC GoldenTricycle

Mar 25, 2014
    The CODER of CLARC speaking:
    I am very sorry for that bug. We discovered it in the BETA already, but were not able to reproduce it reliably. It seems that this one is appearing very rarely. I guess this bug might have something to do with the respawn system and could appear when you leave the game with LAEVE-Menu-Option and later continue on this level. I am still searching for the causes and will definately include a fix in the next update. for now however:
    SOLUTION: This bug is not permanent. REPLAY.Menu.Option will solve this issue and allow you to continue. I am sorry for asking you to replay the level, but this should be done in two minutes, right? Replaying will reset the respawn system and solve this logical bug, which is our mystery.

Sorry for the trouble. CodeMonkey

6. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #46 ColeDaddy, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    I'm at work, so I'll give have to replay the level to see if this solution works when I get home. Thanks for the info.

7. Grafikzeug

Grafikzeug New Member

Mar 26, 2014
    I'd love to see a review of this game here!

8. CLARC GoldenTricycle

Mar 25, 2014
    Controls feedback

THE DEVS speaking:
    From your comments we can see that the most common issue when playing CLARC are the controls. Seems that there are two camps, when it comes to our scheme: Some people like the controls and state that they are dead on. On the other hand there are user who find the controls to cramped on iPhones. We think that your experience might very much depend on your expectations and the other setups you are used to play. That's why we wanted to give some explanations here:

[​IMG]

The small visuals might lead to the conclusion that the controls are cramped on iPhones – however they are not depenent on the visuals at all. The GUI overlay just serves as a general orientation. The TOUCH ARES ARE BIG.

The whole screen is divided in half: LEFT for MOVING / RIGHT for TURNING.

You can touch anywhere in the 4 areas on the left side to move. Therefore the virtual d-pad is as big as can be. We tilted the cross as it is closer to the isometric grid view of the game. According to our testers a straight cross would not imply the real moving direction of Clarc. However we made a mix – just tilting a bit and not by 45°. We also tested a virtual anlog joystick but that proove to be very confusing as it does not fit to gridwise movement and leads to a feel of much less precision – TRUST US WE TRIED – A LOT. I coded 5 totally different control schemes for moving and this is the best, flawed as it might be.

You can also swipe anywhere on the right half to turn. As long as your guesture is roughly a bow around the lower right corner you will get precise turns of Clarc. The schemes transfers the conter of Clarc to the lower right corner of the screen. Most people seem to get along with that fine.

The only area you have to hit precisely is the grab button. I hope this hint will give you more ease while playing on smaller devices. We did not want to blow up the GUI overlay visuals as we felt that this might block the view on the level. But as some users are confused, we will most likely adjust that in the next update and scale up for iPhones.

In future update we also would like to include the following:
    1. adjustable positions for d-pad and grab-swiper symbol.
    2. scaled up overlay for iPhones and other devices with that small 4" screen.
    3. adjustable tilt for d-pad areas.
    4. pro-mode with very subtle lines indicating just the d-pad tilt and center and the grab button area.

By the way: Some testers report that our game already works with iOS controllers. We have not tested this, but have implemeted controller support for Android. This seems to work on iOS too.

We have been working on these controls very hard and tested a lot of variation. After all these input schemes on small touch screen will always be less perfect than a physical controller. Unfortunately CLARC requires more complex input compared to a single touch or casual gyro game. We will of course try to improve this setup depending on user review (we might not be able to fit all tastes).

IT WOULD BE AWESOME if you could RATE CLARC you liked it. Every positive rating or review will help us to get the game up in the AppStore and make our 2.5 years of development and all the love spent worthwhile.
    /// CodeMonkey

9. PanchoVilla

PanchoVilla New Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Game Impressions

I dont have any problem with the controls, they are really smooth and tight. Its feels like an good old gameboy :D

10. vahramas

vahramas Active Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm a moron, sorry. I apologize for not having read the thread. I will (try to) delete my comment and I promise to rate the game in the App Store. So far, it will be at least 4 stars.

11. Wow thanks for taking the time to explain all that! I'll definitely give it another try, as I was really enjoying it until I hit those issues with the controls.

12. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    ^^^ ok bought. Looking very forward to the new options.

13. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I don't have issues with the controls and use an iPhone 5.

14. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Wow. Thanks for such a detailed reply. I went back and played the lite version with your explanations in mind and it is really just down to practice. The more i play the better the controls get. Anyway this reply alone is worth a purchase. Great to see the devs actively dealing with people's issues. Looking forward to getting into the full game. Wonderful graphics and atmosphere. Well done to the developers.

15. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    After playing through the 3 level light version (didn't really take very long), I went ahead and bought as well. I got the full version instead of buying IAP to do it.

The controls seem fine to me, but I get in my own way some times.

Can't wait to get back into it.

16. duh_d_dum

duh_d_dum Active Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm reallllly enjoying this game. The graphics, puzzles, and characters are great. Didn't have any problems with the controller playing on 5S. DIESEL!!!!

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This game is god damn amazing. Definitely my game of the week (for next weeks poll since it game out after Saturday).

Heck, this might make it to my game of the year list!

Honestly, this game is phenomal on so many levels. Especially the visuals.

18. Nice game for sure. Has really cool graphics with a unique set of controls.

19. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I think this is one of my favorite iPhone/iPad games ever!!! Definitely on my list of top 3 all time best iPhone/iPad games!

This game is the complete package! Hoping for new levels since I hear this is 12 hour of gameplay and going slow since I can tell that I'll be sad when it is over.

20. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have got to say that this developer has done everything right. They have a high quality game that looks good and has smart, well thought out controls. They release an upgradable Lite version that gives an excellent taste for those on the fence and a full version for those who prefer it. The game is priced reasonably but not on the bottom tier, so folks know they are getting something with quality and content. Finally, they show a good presence here. I am buying it!