Universal Civilization Revolution 2 - (by 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 2, 2014.

1. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    This is always a bit of a problem in Civ games, often seeing modern tech means you haven't been playing optimally...

In Civ Rev, try aiming for a science victory instead of domination. That way you get to see everything all the way to the spaceship you have to build to win a science victory. Don't take all the enemy capitals to avoid an accidental domination victory. Unfortunately domination is relatively easy, so building up the kind of advantage you need for the other victory types often leads to you being powerful enough to get domination faster than the others. But since the game remembers which ones you've managed to do, there's still an incentive.

2. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Starbase orion

3. Utfan

Utfan Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks for the help!

4. g0omba

g0omba Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    It's actually pretty balanced. You have to pick and choose what's most important to your nation and prioritize.

5. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    I'll admit. I was a bit skeptical about this game since I'd played a lot of Civ Rev 1. I figured it wouldnt be different enough for me. Well, for me, the question has been answered. My eyes hurt so bad because I cant stop playing. I am glued to this more than I ever was the first game, and I enjoyed that one! The new graphics are beautiful and I find it more immersive than the first game. For me, even though the mechanics are familiar, the experience is different enough that it is a new game to me.

Anyway, thats my two cents. Back to the game!

6. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    Just like in real life, war is more popular than science lol

You can call that an involuntary social commentary.

7. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Actually, science is extremely popular (useful) when waging war. Modern warfare and modern science have had many joint ventures together. Science can be used to create or destroy.

8. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    Oh no argument there.

But the fact remains war is more popular than science.

9. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    #129 Jake7905, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

That's like saying that the irrational is more popular then the rational.
    If that was true, progress, civilization itself (pun intended), wouldn't be possible. But don't get me wrong, human beings have used science since our inception to perfect the art of waging war. After all, we didn't invent bows and arrows just for hunting.

10. Wisely

Wisely Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Why are there so many complaints about bugs in the App Store reviews?

I am thinking of buying the app but am a bit worried with all the bugs complaints.

How are your experience with the app like?

11. candyjet

candyjet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Favourite 4X?

Ascendancy, by far.

Didn't like Starbase Orion at all, despite spending weeks on it.

12. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Totally agree with this ^^

13. manneger

manneger Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    On my iphone 4S the game is almost unplayable. It is slow early on - and late game it can take minutes to just move a tank. One game i had to give up entirely due to tanks impossible to move. Also there is a bug where buildings that upgrade production wont show up on the city production tile screen, although the production does increase. More importantly i cant see the whole city tile layout due to the info/build menus?
    The difficulty of the AI seem strange as well, only the hardest difficulty appear to be a challenge, and as far as i can recall it was a lot harder (?) in civ rev I..

14. Jake7905

Jun 20, 2013
    The App Store reviews are, as always, highly exaggerated and untrustworthy. I haven't had a problem playing on my IPad Mini Retina. Keep in mind that a lot of the bad ratings on the App Store are from people who are mad that this isn't a "true" sequel.

15. 61050

61050 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2013
    starbase orion was pretty good i thought, but ascendancy was def. better.

16. orenwolf

orenwolf Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Game Impressions

Some more issues beyond what was in my first post:

- when you add buildings (granary,etc), the terrain icons in city view do not update to show the new yield (they are, however, correct in the summary bar at the top).
    - there is no visual way to know if a city has a great person. There is also no way to tell if YOUR cities have a great person from the city summary - on by visiting each city simultaneously.
    - there is no way to make a great person "sleep" until needed.
    - there is no way to tell visually if a unit is an army without selecting it. True, also, of multiple stacked units.
    - there is no way from city view to tell what units are garrisoned in the city.
    - there is no way to tell who you are at war with, short of visiting other leaders or trying to encroach on or attack their troops
    - there doesn't appear to be a way to see air unit fuel remaining.

Look at this list, as well as the one from my last post, and tell me the UI wasn't rushed.

17. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010

Well, you can see details about the city by pinching your fingers at the city screen, and you can see the great people settled there and the buildings there. Armies have the little yellow emblem on them. You don't need to select them to see it. You can tell who you are at war with by going to the diplomacy screen on the menu and talking to them. You can move your great person to another city if that's what you mean by clicking one of the options. For fuel, I think there's a little green bar that tells you how many turns left below the plane.

I hope that helped some of your problems.

18. orenwolf

orenwolf Member

Nov 6, 2012
    You cannot tell visually if an enemy city has a great person. This makes deciding on where to send a spy much more challenging. In civ rev 1, the city summary screen had info on which great people were in which of your cities as an overview. There is no such option now.

Armies are only visible as armies *when selected*, not otherwise, AFAICT.

I already mentioned that you could talk to your opponents to see their status. In civ rev 1, a "war" flag would be over them in the diplomacy panel. There is no equivalent functionality.

There is no way to have your great person "defend". If you hold him in reserve, then he will be selected in your unit list every turn until you use them.

You are, however, correct about the air units. The rest, however, remain missing features from the civ 1 UI not included in the civ 2 UI.

19. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    No, it's not like saying that at all, and that analogy makes no sense

Not "if that was true", that IS true.

Probably we'll never know but I'd be willing to bet that the club was "invented" way before any systematic methodology of gathering and constructing knowledge, and civilizations have been possible because the guy with the biggest club wins.

Countless countries have spent so much money funding their wars without regard for social well being that results in recessions.

I doubt the budget for scientific research in any fields combined even reaches half the military budget in a vast majority of countries.

And the fact that part of your point is that wars drives science forward and not the other way around further proves that war is more "popular".

You're being naive if you think science is more popular, sadly, it's not.

20. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Not only you are right but science for military purposes is not really science it is more engineering and application of science.

Budget for 2011 military in the US is worth more than 60 years of NASA:
    http://www.upworthy.com/defense-budget-1t-50-years-of-nasa-budgets-800b-chart-of-this-ridiculous-dispari