Universal Civilization Revolution 2 - (by 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Keitch83

Keitch83 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Rush production anyone?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Truly, class act!

3. mutts

mutts Active Member

Jun 28, 2013
    So it is basiclly a UI and graphics update!
    For 10 euro more than Civ 1 i call that a ripoff.

And the fact that fireaxis is named in the credits and splash screen, does not mean they actually helped with this.

4. Keitch83

Keitch83 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Wow,never visited that forum before but def won't waste my time with either now!

5. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Ha. Yeah... ;)

6. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    As others have said, there isn't a mind blowing amount of difference between this and civ rev 1. Graphics are top notch and run flawlessly on iPhone 5c, no crashes or laggyness. Their are different scenarios to play through and new characters to unlock by achievements. But they aren't reinventing the wheel here... It's 4x genre and it's civ style gameplay. I love it, loved first and prior civ games.

AI, is a matter of debate, depending on your difficulty setting, to me, seems more challenging. I play on deity as a grizzled vet of the game ;) and have had several encounters with rival countries in my 1st saved game. Barbarians as always have been useless but serve the purpose of getting your early fighters going and supplying income or a galley or settlers, etc...

No cloud saves, which I don't like, no MP, which I'm indifferent on. I am hoping for further development of added scenarios or more unlockables if this game finds success.

5 stars from my POV, you can't find a 4x that does it better than this on the mobile market, and in my eyes, multiplayer is not a dealbreaker, because 4x games are not about that...

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    If you buy the first one, you'll have to fork out a bunch for IAP to get the full game though. I'd rather pay all up front so there aren't any other downloads I'd need after the initial purchase in order to play the full game.

8. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    what the hell!
    this repetitious sound when moving unit "BUMP" "BUMP" "BUMP" make me crazy!
    :mad:

9. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I bought this immediately, my completely uninformed thought(and maybe wishful thinking) is that if this does well enough, it may be the impetuous for then to release a full fledged civ game. Really, how far away can we be from civ 1-4 or maybe 5 even from appearing on tablets?

10. Tucker

Tucker Active Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Pocket tactics is hurting for views, so stirring the pot with touch arcade is how they are tapping into the iOS community for hits.

11. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    #92 ImJPaul, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    I just read some of it for a chuckle. A bunch of armchair intellectuals. Just seemed pompous. If they want to bash us TA-ers, that's their right...I suppose.

And on topic...

This definitely looks like CR. On the fence with this but it's only a matter of time before I break. ;-)

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    So let me get this straight:

• no multiplayer
    • no cloud saves
    • AI is still bad
    • UI is lacking

What's new:

• Graphics

Am I missing anything? I am a bit disappointed to hear this :(

13. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    UI isn't lacking, not really sure where that idea comes from. GRAPHICS and UI are the biggest things here, though, is my understanding.

I guess this is civ rev for touch platforms as it should have been when it first showed up.

14. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Also, I've never visited pocket tactics before, but wow, nice to see the maturity. I think they missed a spot polishing their egos.

15. Breinstein

Breinstein Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Always wanted to play civilization but never did, so this release was my golden opportunity :). I must say that I find all rather confusing .. The tutorial , is hardly a tutorial in my opinion . It does not do a best job in explaining what you are supposed to do, and how the interface can be used, but maybe it is just me. For example I can end my turn , but when do I do that? Where can I see what I can do in a turn, will I run out of things to do , is there a limit to the moves Imcan make? Also it says it takes 4 turns to make a warrior, again nowhere a clue where I can see that .. So after an hour or so I am really drowning in all the options and stats etc. without really knowing what to use what for and how .. Maybe It is a lack of intellectual abilities , but for someone who has never played these kind of games it is all very confusing

16. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    Google, my friend. It will help you immensely.

17. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Bottom right of the screen shows a warrior with a number under it, that is the number of moves your warriors/settlers/idle people have, when those moves are all used, it allows you to slide the warrior picture left to end your turn.

Each city displays at the top of the city line what it is producing, you can cycle thru multiple cities with the left and right arrows outside of the city name. To the right of that, shows what is producing and how long it takes to complete.

As far as the workings of research, you will have to decide what you want to Perdue by following the tech tree.

Hope this helps some... If you click on a person that is idle it will give you options above character.. Settlers make city, warriors can defend spots or cities, settle great people... A group of 3 wars/archers etc make a stronger team.

18. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    Yeah, the UI is fine. Gone are the Nintendo DS menus that Civ Rev 1 had.

Sort of... now if iPods had only been as powerful as my iPad 4 back in 2009 when Civ Rev 1 came out on iOS :D

I hope that this new platform enables them to keep supporting this game for a few years again like they did with the last one.

19. Gabriel.Voyager

Gabriel.Voyager Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Turin - Italy
    If you want to learn how a 4X work, just play a 4X game like civilization, not boardgame.
    Play and try different solution, experiment different way, and then you will understand the basis.
    Like first of all, expand, all on food, settlers and colonization new city, city and population is the key of victory.
    Because if you have 1 city you can buld 1 unit in tot game turn, if you have 10 city you can build 10 unit in the same amount of turn, and you can choice to leave culture in one city, wonder in another, military unit in another and so on.
    Expand, then explore, then exterminate, but i prefer the tech victory, sending my ship to Alpha Centaury, i'm a pacifist ;)