Universal Civilization Revolution 2 - (by 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 2, 2014.

1. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    Ill gladly add this to my ios collection of strategy games alongside xcom, i will buy the eventual android version too :)

2. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    So, as a new player, I have to admit I feel more than a little lost. I understand the controls and how to build units or buildings, and I'm researching new technologies and whatnot for sure, but I guess I feel a little... Bored? Aimless?

Everyone immediately offers peace, so it feels like any attempts at combat are completely voluntary. I've yet to be attacked or feel threatened, let alone encouraged, to actually do anything.

Military domination seemed too straightforward at first, but trying to win through cultural, economic, scientific, or knowledgable means are starting to seem the same. The only difference is that when I do that, I pretty much have nothing to do with my land units except wait around in hopes of a building enough boats to deport them across the many water barriers to another piece of land to explore.

I admit I've only been playing for an hour, but so far nothing in the game is really egging me on or making me feel the need to progress. This is true of all games, but I feel like the only motivation keeping me going is that I'd like to try a civ game and see what all the rage is about.

Am I going about things the wrong way? Am I missing a part of the gameplay? Are there things to come later in the game that change this feeling? What do I need to do to get in the right mindset?

Much thanks.

3. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

Guaranteed that some of those nations that offer peace will expand right up to your border restricting your growth. You might be fine with that, until that other nation decides that it isn't fine with that and decides to sneak attack you. So who blinks first? Maybe you should put a defence force on your border, just in case. Whoops you just provoked your neighbour.

4. Gamingvideo

Gamingvideo Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Sweden
  5. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    That's kind of what 4X games are like. You explore, you eventually build a settler and found a new city, you eventually build an army and fight someone else. That's the genre in a nutshell. Civ Rev is no different.

There's some hidden depth. E.g. as techs unlock more buildings and units, you can get a tremendous advantage by building the right things at the right time, or by micro-managing your production, or by "discovering" the right ancient artifact at the right time, and so on. On lower difficulty you don't need that advantage, so that'll always feel a little less complex just because you might not notice and because you generally need to do less things to be able to win.

They just default to peace when you meet a new civ. On higher difficulties, they'll keep extorting you and they'll keep declaring war, and you'll also need to at least take out some strategic targets to keep the AIs from winning culturally or economically even if you're not going for domination. (You're not likely to out-research bonused AI by playing peacefully, and they'll build their cities on land that should rightfully belong to your people...)

The way I see it, the other victory types basically add things you have to do in order to win. You still end up using your military, but you might choose to focus on building an army of spies to steal great people etc.

I guess domination being so straight-forward in Civ Rev games does cheapen the other victory types a little. If it took more time to win by domination, that would make the other victory conditions more attractive. But the decision makes sense on mobile where making games longer for no good reason when it's already clear you'll win isn't the best idea (and apparently they felt it makes sense on the desktop too, since CiV adopted the mechanic too).

Maybe it's just not your genre? Civ games are relatively popular, but it's not a type of game that everybody can just pick up and enjoy.

For me, part of the fun that I guess does come later is figuring out how to play to the advantages of all the different leaders. I admit I also like collecting achievements. But most importantly, I generally enjoy watching my small settlement develop into a powerful nation.

6. Keitch83

Keitch83 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Most importantly does this version give you the option to continue once victory conditions are met like the old skool civs?I don't like rushing world domination!

7. Karl Schmidt

Karl Schmidt Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    I have put a warrior on defense.

How can I move the warrior again? I don´t see a button to cancel the defense.

8. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    This game is so perfect! I love it and feel that the 15 dollars tag isn't a problem at all.

9. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I really want to play this game, but I know that I won't have enough free time. For now I'll just stick with Hearthstone, FTL, and X-Com. (First World Problems)

10. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    Not really an issue in Civ Rev, since the non-domination victories require you to build something after meeting the conditions. You can't accidentally get a cultural or economical victory.

Tap and hold until it becomes active.

11. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Notice the game does not bear Sid's name.

12. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I'm very tempted to grab this but if it's just a coat of paint on the old game then I'll hold off. I can't really justify dropping £10 on the same game but with better graphics if important stuff like the AI isn't better.

13. Tutt22

Tutt22 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    The App Store description calls it Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution 2.

14. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Well, goodbye world! My wife and I spent days in the last Civ Rev and I've put weeks into pretty much every previous installment. It was nice knowing you guys!

15. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Downloading now without care for price :) I'm a rebel... Will post imps during work hours since I'll be unproductive

16. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I've never played a Civ game, but this looks tempting. How big is the installed size?

17. j.e3diu

j.e3diu Active Member

May 28, 2014
    Just one question, should I buy this?
    I've played Civ Rev on iOS before, loved it. Other Civ's I've played for days.

18. Keitch83

Nov 19, 2010
    Installed size is 945mb

19. Keitch83

Nov 19, 2010
    Anyone know how to rush production?

20. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist