Universal Civilization Revolution 2 - (by 2K)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    Hard to explain but it just don't feel the same controls as the first installment great graphics tho

2. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Seem to recall the first one had some stability issues too. I'm pretty sold on buying this one.

3. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    My mistake then, that's what happens when you listen to Pocket Tactics. I'm glad they're wrong on this one, might have to pick this up tomorrow.

4. 3mry5

3mry5 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Is the game actually any different to the first (aside from the couple of new units and leaders) or is it just a reskin?
    And is it worth the fairly hefty price tag?

5. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Do the AI units attack each other in this one?
    One of my hates about Civ 1 was the AI would attack me, but not each other.

6. Piph

Piph Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    I feel like this post should be on the first 10 pages of this thread so no one has to ask, "What's it like? Is it worth it??" Perfect quick answer here, thanks man.

Convinced me, anyways. Just clicked the purchase and download button. Played a little of the first civ rev on Xbox 360 back in the day, and got sucked in within minutes. I've always been too intimidated to play the pc civ games, so I was surprised at how quickly I got caught up in it. I'm really hoping to have the same experience here.

7. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    In defense of my 2nd favorite website, pockettactics, they did not say anything bad about the game. What they said was just in line with ' the gameplay does not seem to differ from the 1st'.

8. JonnyRo1

JonnyRo1 Active Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Just wondering, is there any kind of multiplayer, with it being via GameCenter, wifi, or bluetooth?

9. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    They didn't say anything bad about it, but reading on Pocket Tactics that Civ Rev 2 was developed by 2K China with no involvement from Firaxis had me hesitant. Thankfully, that isn't the case.

10. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Loving it on my iPad Air. Graphics and controls superb and runs smooth as butter. The menus are very intuitive and I'm right into the game. I'm finding it very immersive. Worth the price as there's heaps of replayability and the game is fun.

11. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    No multiplayer.

12. asaw2

asaw2 Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2013
    South korea
    How many install size?

13. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I have already played a little, I too am curious about the AI as it was a BIG joke in the original.

-Can AI put up a decent run for the win?

-Does the AI attack the other AI players or is it still the player vs. the world for the most part?

-While I like the idea of little bonuses via achievements, can the AI players ever get these boosts as well?

14. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    #35 dannythefool, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Game Impressions

As expected, it's basically Civ Rev 1 with more polish. The UI is much better, in some cases it's also nicely streamlined (e.g. buttons for unit actions appear directly next to the unit). Only thing that threw me off a bit is that you can't drag units anymore, now it's select and tap to move. Not worse, just different for someone who's been playing Civ Rev 1 recently.

The graphics look better in motion than on the screenshots, and I like how battles take place on the main map now (instead of the Nintendo DS pixel graphics that were never retinaified in Civ Rev 1); this makes it feel faster too. They paid attention to detail with things like different barbarians having completely different looking units. But the graphics are still not on the level of Civ Rev 1 on consoles.

One new addition that I didn't see coming but probably should've is that every once in a while you can choose a "mission" from your advisor, out of a list of a few suggestions. I've seen a bunch of wildly different ones here from "research XYZ" to "flip a city with culture" etc. Not major, but a nice addition.

As far as I remember, all the Civ Rev leaders are still there. The two new alternative leaders need to be unlocked via achievements, which I think gives it a nice touch.

There's also a bunch of new stuff, but obviously more techs, more units, more wonders etc. doesn't really change the game. Tons of achievements too, artworks you can find, and medals for unlocking all achievements in a group.

Other than these small additions, gameplay is more or less the same as Civ Rev 1. All the Civ Rev particularities are still there, you still form armies, you still build roads between cities in one action, caravans are still there, artifacts are still scattered around the map, and so on. If you've played Civ Rev then you will feel at home in Civ Rev 2. If you hated Civ Rev 1, you'll hate Civ Rev 2, it'll just look prettier while you hate it.

The AI is unfortunately not smarter. It seems like playing on Deity is still watching the AI derp around while they research modern era tech by the end of the middle ages due to their bonuses.

Also, as expected, no multiplayer - and no cloud saves. Edit: And while achievements seem to use Game Center, artworks seem to be tied to the device you find them on.

15. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    #36 Saucepolicy, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    In Pocket Tactics's defense it's fair to say that Firaxis was not directly involved in the game design but played a more supervisory role, based on the credits. The design was handled by the 2K China team. However, in my admittedly brief experience so far it's not a radical departure from the first game so the foundation is already solid. I won't be able to comment on any potential balance issues until I encounter some of the new units.

Another minor nitpick- the end turn interaction is not intuitive. I kept trying to slide the "end turn" lozenge to the right, rather than sliding the unit icon towards the text because the popup says "slide the 'End Turn' button in the bottom right corner". End turn looks like a button, but it's just a text call to action. It should be specific and say "slide the unit icon to the left to end your turn".

That's definitely true, I should have been more clear on that point. It's great improvement over Civ Rev 1, but you shouldn't purchase the game expecting the dynamic environments and battles of the console version. That said, I feel like the screenshots make that pretty clear.

16. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm almost certain that the only thing that would have me pay this much for a civ revolutions sequal is huge maps and more civ slots. I might pay $5 if it ever gets that low. But no chance at $15 until this game approaches the real civ experience.

17. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #38 redribbon, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    thanks for the detail impression, man. too bad if thats the case. :(

Tutorial Gameplay:

The Gameplay:

18. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    Yep, definitely not very different. This is not 2K China implementing their own idea of a Civ game. Even if Firaxis wasn't involved at all and the logo is only there because 2K licensed the name, it'd still be their design since nothing here really changed much.

It is a button too, since it's the active unit cycle button if you only tap it. I guess they wanted to prevent people from accidentally hitting it. It's probably less useful on an iPad than it's on a phone, the iPad would have had space for a dedicated button somewhere else.

19. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Universal app and no cloud save??? Man it needs to be updated asap