iPhone Civil War: 1863 (Turn Based Strategy)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Hunted Cow Studios, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Hunted Cow Studios

Hunted Cow Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Company Director
    [​IMG]
    Civil War: 1863

Hi guys,

We at Hunted Cow Studios (a wee indie games studio in Scotland) have now submitted our second iOS title Civil War: 1863 to Apple.

Here are some screenshots from the iPad version of the game:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Relive iconic battles of the American Civil War. Features 2 full campaigns including the 'First Strike' campaign: Learn how to play, mission by mission, as the Union ending with the battle of Deserted House. Then continue onto the 'Hoorah' campaign and fight the battles of Dover, Thompson's Station, Dutton's Hill, Stephenson's Depot and Oak Ridge!

We'll let you know on this thread once the game has been approved by Apple and meanwhile we would be more than happy to answer any questions you guys have about the game :)

If you're interested in the game, please like the Civil War: 1863 page on Facebook to stay up-to-date!

~ The Hunted Cow Team

2. Mystical knave

Mystical knave Active Member

May 29, 2012
    This looks really interesting. Can you say about how is combat resolved? Is there a strategic map or is this played as a series of battles?

3. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Looks great. Don't suppose we could get a map editor too? :)

4. Hunted Cow Studios

Mar 7, 2012
    Company Director
    Hi Mystical knave,

The combat is worked out based on the type of unit, unit strength and quality. On the in-game help, you can view each of the units range and effectiveness at that range.

Each campaign contains 8 individual battles which you play through in sequence (ie. once you have completed one, the next will unlock). So to answer your question, there isn't a strategic map as such, but rather a collection of battles :)

5. Hunted Cow Studios

Mar 7, 2012
    Company Director
    Hi Marcus70,

There isn't in the first version of the game, but it's something we could look at in the future :)

6. Mystical knave

Mystical knave Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Thanks for the response. Is this based on the Tank Battle engine? I really liked this game, although as a boardgamer I am a little disappointed that Tank Battle doesn't show me as a player how the combat is resolved - it gives attack values and an indication of how powerful the attack is, but ultimately I don't know how the game resolves each attack. This turns the game into more of a computer game (e.g. by resolving these without player knowledge) rather than a more classic board game (where the combat mechanism is transparent to the player).

I hope that this aspect of the game is not hidden from the player as I find this aspect of Tank Battle makes me feel as though an important part of how the game plays is hidden from me. This may not bother many people, but it is distancing for me ... I would actually prefer the game to show, for example, die rolls etc as well. Again this may be because I am looking for a wargame experience on the iPad and you may be aiming for something that is more of a computer game.

7. jeannyguard

jeannyguard Member

Aug 28, 2012
    #7 jeannyguard, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
    Look forward to this game. I really want to see More civil war games out on The App Store.

I hope it's priced good. Not like 19.99

I hope this game will show unit strengths - ie. 2367 troops.

8. Hunted Cow Studios

Mar 7, 2012
    Company Director
    The game will be $3.99, however we'll be offering it at an introductory price of $1.99 for three weeks.

This includes 16 single player missions and 5 pass & play multiplayer scenarios. The two IAP expansions are priced at $0.99 each and each contain 8 single player missions and a further 5 multiplayer scenarios :)

9. Hunted Cow Studios

Mar 7, 2012
    Company Director
  10. jeannyguard

jeannyguard Member

Aug 28, 2012
    #10 jeannyguard, Sep 4, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    I plan to buy it.

Wis you guys would add 2 things to the sequel

1. Strategic campaign - Let me send my armies where I want to and fight a strategic war against North or South

2. Numbers - When units go at each other I really want to see hard numbers. My unit going from 7 to 4 isnt as impactful as going from 700 to 400 troops.

Either way Thank you for making a Civil War game and not doing the same old same old games other developers do (ie. zombie, & shooters)