Universal Citadel 1986 (by Clockwork Pixels)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Clockwork Pixels, Apr 21, 2017.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Haha, yep. It was definitely the deaths adding up. Finished with 341 deaths and 4 hours. That ending was EVIL. Love it.

2. doone128

doone128 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Bought this immediately. Absolutely love it. The speech is just fantastic. Bravo on such a gem!

3. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #43 RHess00, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    I bought this just because it had a lite version. I wish more devs would do this. Absolutely wonderful game by the way. Gonna check out your other games.

Edit: Whoa...all your games have lite versions! I downloaded them all.

4. coolit

coolit Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Nice, I'll keep an eye out for your next platformer.

... 1:57:45 and 138 deaths! Beat that!

5. jabbasoft

jabbasoft Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 29, 2012
    Bought, very easy value-for-money decision! Don't suppose you fancy re-imagining "Juggernaut" CP? ;) one of my early faves, kind of delivery driving combined with GTA1..

6. akolade

akolade Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Programmer
    Lethbridge, AB
    Looks good. I skipped the lite and spent the big bucks on the full version!
    Ever play Zillion on Sega Master System? The massive level reminds me of that.

7. Clockwork Pixels

Clockwork Pixels Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks for the recent posts, much appreciated :)

I've been working on the jump and will send an update later today. It greatly improves jumping out of water sideways and will be slightly more forgiving of mistimed jumps in general.

Congrats on finishing it, but I think you set a new record for number of deaths ;)

Not bad at all! ... I want to make a video of the game being completed with no lives lost, maybe now the jump has been tweaked I'll give it a go. I could complete Son of Blagger without losing a life, but that was a while ago!

Just looked it up, reminds me of Impossible Mission, something about the platforms and computer terminals.

8. retrogamOR

retrogamOR Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2013
    This is great.

All that is missing is a Rob Hubbard/Martin Galway/Maniacs of Noise soundtrack!

Only jesting.Music is fine.......But talk of the C64 always brings back memories of its wonderful sound chip,SID.

9. DenzilofDojima

Sep 20, 2013
    United Kingdom
    This was a great game, a throwback to the days when all platformers consisted of tons of inanimate objects inexplicably moving about and trying to kill you. It's inspiration, Son of Blagger, was dreadful, weird and played like a dog even back in its day. Citadel is charming and weird and plays great.

10. coolit

coolit Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    #50 coolit, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Haha that would take some serious time commitment... I can make it the first dozen or so areas without dying but once I do it's all over and the deaths keep piling up. Staying alive is no minor feat!

I wasn't aware of the spew increase or key option though until you mentioned it in this thread, might make things easier!

11. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    I'll have to resist the temptation to tamper with the game, making it easier just for the video : ) At least I can practice the more difficult areas first though ... new jump code update will help, it's 'awaiting review'.

Nooooo, we can't be talking about the same game! It was revolutionary! :eek:

Don't forget Ben Daglish ... I actually met him once! :) RH's in-game music for Delta was the best SID track I reckon.

12. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Congrats on the front page article! And the fantastic game, of course :)

13. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    One minor suggestion? I've already overwritten my save file by hitting the 'new game' button about halfway through the game. I was fine with it because it just meant I got to play through it again, and potentially shave off a few minutes, but maybe have a confirmation button if you're about to lose a saved game?

14. akolade

akolade Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Programmer
    Lethbridge, AB
    I was going to suggest the same thing. I've accidentally done it once so far.

15. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks, that really made my week :)

The update (1.00.7) should be available now. The jump button is a bit more friendly, especially when jumping out of vertical water. Thanks for spotting that, I've realised my playing style was compensating for the problem :eek:

Ah, this will be in the next update ... I stripped back the UI for this game, going for the basic/retro approach, but the 'new game' button clearly needs an are-you-sure!

16. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    #56 RHess00, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Ok how do I get past the bear in area 16. I can't jump over and I can't run under. I must be missing something.

Edit: Figured it out by accident.

17. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Finally finished. 3:46 with 271 deaths. Fun game. I'll probably try again for a better time.

18. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    Hello, an update's just been released (1.00.8) which includes an 'are you sure' screen for the 'new game' option, so no more accidental overwrites. Thanks for the feedback on that :)

Just played through at 52:10 with 35 deaths ... 10+ of those were from a single area, tempted to get the editor out ;)

19. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    It looks like an interesting pixel game.

Random everyday objects. What does it mean?

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Give it a go. ItÂ’s really good and just one dollar