iPad Circulate

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Carlos-Sz, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #1 Carlos-Sz, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
    In 08Jul2008 Circulate Prologue was released as a demonstration. It's now free.

Circulate is the full version and it's now available for $5.99.

The game looks very polished and you can also check the video thriller.

It has 90 levels with different goals as states the game description.

I may buy this later... :)

Update: here's a PocketGamer Circulate review for mobile phones (Rate: 8).

[​IMG]

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #2 Donburns99, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
    Interesting, seems kind of pricey for a puzzler though. Is this a match-3 type game? To me it looks like you got to spin the chamber to get the balls to match up and clear the level. Going to pick up the prologue and see how it plays.

3. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Finally!!!

Prologue is only one small level. The other levels, as seen on the video, are completely different and more puzzle bazed.

Regardless of this, Prologue is one of the best Match-3 games with gravity involved and tilt control.

4. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    looks amazing. Judging from the video, this is very different from a match three.

I am buying it now.

5. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    This a pretty cool game. It is like a cross between Enigmo and Labyrinth. Levels have different goals. Sometimes you need to bring all the balls of a particular color together, other times you need to get them to thier color-coded "drop slot" and some times you need to make certain balls come into contact with each other.

I wish I could use touch controls to rotate the play area instead of just tilt controls though.

Good music.

Bad sounds (too loud usually).

6. mek

mek Well-Known Member

glad i didn't buy the demo

7. Ahiru

Ahiru Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    public servant
    nowhere near you!
    i downloaded the 'free' prologue but it doesn't work! i tilt and tilt and nothing happens... what am i doing wrong?

8. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    C. Prologue is working here.

Just try to restart/reboot your iPhone.

9. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    I've just added a link to a PocketGamer review of the game in the initial post.

And the rating is 8 (Silver).

[​IMG]

10. gcl

gcl Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Prologue plays itself?

I picked up Circulate Prologue and was thrilled with the graphics and production but I couldn't understand the game as it seems to play itself.

The balls would pop out from the center of the circular field moving to the periphery and then those that matched burst with sound and disappear. It was a fun interactive experience until I realized that the matches made themselves when just don't do anything and lay the game flat, ie no tilt. It was a fun movie to watch and occasionally touch a bomb to burst, but I hope the pro is not as self-playing. Enticing, but not enough pull for the full version.

11. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008

What can you say now that you've probably played it more?

I'll probably get this week...

12. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Did you get it in the end? If so what are your thoughts on it?

I'm thinking about getting this but I want to know what more people think before I go for it.

13. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    I didn't purchase it yet. But if I do I'll write here about it.

14. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Ok thanks.

15. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I gave in and bought the game, I will give my thoughts in a couple of hours.

16. Alichan

Alichan Guest

#16 Alichan, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
    Totally agree with you. Circulate P. was one of my first iPod Touch gaming experiences. Despite all it's visual splendour, the game-play, or lack of, really is about as interactive as staring at your clothes going around and around in the washing machine...

17. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Personally, I think this would be much more appealing without the accelerometer controls.

18. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    So I've been playing on this game for about half an hour and I think it's pretty good.

There are 3 game modes: Puzzle, Death Match and Table Mode.

Puzzle has 94 puzzles for you to complete by tilting your iPhone to put spheres of the same colour together to eliminate them or put them into the right pots. There are also some levels where you are limited to the amount you can tilt and if you tilt too far you lose the level, to control these you use a "push sphere" which you touch to control but can be unresponsive at times. These levels are infuriating to say the least because in order to do the levels you have to keep your iPhone very still, the easiest way to do this is to turn the sensitivity right down, but this gets annoying after a while. To fix this they need to introduce a "lock" feature so that you can turn off the tilt feature while you do these levels. Once you complete a level it gives you a number of stars from 1 - 5 depending on how much time you took and how many spheres you put together.

Death Match is the same as Circulate Prologue so you are matching spheres of 3 or more together as they appear.

To unlock Table Mode you need to get 160 stars and then more to unlock levels in it. There are a total of 14 levels in it and I'm not sure what they are like because I haven't unlocked them yet...

Overall you get a lot for your money but only having tilt control does let it down and some levels can be very annoying. The frame rate is OK but can be slow sometimes when there are a lot of spheres (bear in mind I'm on a 1st Gen iPod Touch). The game is also let down by some poor work as I have found many spelling mistakes in the text and the help section only states how to play death match so it has just been copied and pasted from the prologue.

I will email the developer shortly with my suggestions and hopefully they will fix these few things and the game will then be perfect.

19. TimothyB

TimothyB Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Huh, I can't believe I missed this. I only found out that the full version was out when I noticed an update for the prologue (firmware compatiblity) and checked.

I found the prologue, what I guess is deathmatch mode, where matching 3 colors as long as you can, a serene experience. The motion and music was kind of relaxing, but challenging. As it progresses it can be difficult and I was stumped on the strategy to get even close to that score they mention you'd get a special surprise or something. It was more that say watching clothes spin in a washer. The bubbles let you flip it upside down and push through the spheres to mix them up, then you had the metal spheres to change up the gameplay.

Control was easy to me, you just titled it enough to spin the game, kind of a like hitting an accelerator, and would continue spinning until you level it out.

The trailer of the full game was almost a different game compared to this.

I'll wait for more reviews before buying.

NOTE: Cirtculate P. is now FREE, which I'm sure most know: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=285100093&mt=8

20. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I recently sent an email to the developers at LemonQuest about Circulate with some suggestions. They said that they will try to update it as soon as they can but are currently working on their next iPhone titles. I can't wait to see what they have in store. :D