Universal Cinco Paus (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zen_mode, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Bitcoin

Bitcoin Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Well I respectfully think the opposite to you. Mr Broughs games and critical thinking is not about kindergarten handholding. He wants to take you out your comfort zone and challenge you. It’s almost Dark Soulsesque. He is hands down one of the best and most ingenious game devs out there. I love the way he thinks.

2. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I think I'll be showcasing the game on my channel tomorrow morning around 11am Est here at twitch.tv/esty8nine because this game needs exposer !

3. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area

Agreed. Normally, I would have purchased this immediately, but the lack of English translation is absolutely off putting. 868-Hack is one of my all-time favorite games. This one could be as well, I guess, but I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed with the dev's design choice, such as it is. He's only hurting himself.
    Waiting for English update.

4. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I live in a small country where they speak 3 languages and I also speak a bit English. Nevertheless I was afraid to buy this game because it was in Portugese. But the game is very good and addictive and I am glad I ve bought it.
    After a few hours playing, I know 90 % of the symbols by heart and know exactly what they do. I must confess I have read the symbol guide someone posted here in the forum. But now I hardly have to look at it. Great game so far, much better than I expected.

5. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Anyone holding out due to the language is seriously missing out. The whole purpose of the game is to figure out what the different wand abilities do, and to figure them out by playing, not reading any descriptions.

This is such a fun, classic Brough roguelike and a perfect addition to the collection. I’m loving every second of this.

6. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Can't get enough of this. It may be my favorite M. Brough game yet, and that's saying something.

7. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Weird. I do see you on my friends leaderboard, xjaff, but can't seem to get the game to register me/my scores. Hmm.

8. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    Just got 75 points over 4 games. Damn, that was a fun couple of runs!

9. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    I see you now!

Did you make any changes or did it just start working on its own?

10. lookmark

lookmark Active Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Took a little while to get past the obfuscatory aspects of this one (for better or worse), but this is so good.

11. lookmark

lookmark Active Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Q: anyone figure out why one of the wands will sometimes pulse...?

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I wondered this as well but then noticed it appeared they all were pulsing.

13. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    It's a shame to think of those who will be turned off by the obfuscation and miss out on this amazing game.

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I reinstalled the game and realized that I kept starting games with the tutorial, which accounted for my score not showing up. In other words, I was being obtuse and hadn't realized that a proper game starts by touching the central wand star on the menu screen. Ack. Anyway, looking forward to playing more in the next couple days.

15. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Ah gotcha. Glad you figured it out! Now that the busy holidays are over I am looking forward to getting some time with this and learning how it all works.

16. lookmark

lookmark Active Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Oh yeah, look at that. Bit of an optical illusion (for me anyway) - the wands with undiscovered markings attract more attention so the effect is more noticeable.

The more I play this game, the more I like it. One of his best, I think.

17. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Anyone care to share their strategies for early game?

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm far from a master at this point but a couple of tips I learned early on:

-Don't be a hero: Your priority should always be to simply exit the room and eventually the whole 5 level run, so, unless you're confident you can reach some treasure across the room with minimal damage, forget about it. There is nothing gained by clearing all of the monsters in the room (with the exception of the treasure dropping roosters, but even then, it's not worth dying over).

-Know your wands: Even if you've already cleared a room, or the only remaining baddy is a shrimp you can easily dispatch by hand, make a point to use all of your wands each room so, by room 4 or 5, you have a pretty full idea of what your wands can do so as to best plan your escape (you don't want to be caught flat footed once the roosters show up).

19. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    1. The frogs that spawn at the end of your level are your friends. You know where they will spawn, so you can usually safely fire spare wands into it and use that info for future levels.

2. Try to arrange things so that you can just take out Shrimp with your autoattack rather than wand abilities. You want to scout for the frog/lizard specific kill spells, if possible.

3. If you get into a situation where two monsters are going to hit you in the same turn, you messed up somewhere earlier.

4. The wall abilities are some of the most important to scout for. If I took 2 or more damage I prefer to scout for healing from the bottom wall. If I’ve discovered a way to make treasure I prefer to scout for the refresh ability from the top wall. Otherwise (and usually) I prefer the right wall. Honestly though a big factor is just the wall that the frog spawns on.

5. There are some secondary checkboxes in my head when it comes to scouting. You can’t always meet these but you should try if it’s relatively easy:
    a. It’s better for the monster to be at the end of your beam’s path rather than the middle or beginning, to scout for “Alvo Preciso”, the one that instant kills if the monster is at the end of your path.
    b. It’s better to fire through the center if you can, to scout for O Terremoto.
    c. It’s better to fire into a 3-wall enclosure if possible, to scout for Tesouro Escondido.

6. Remember negative information. Let’s say a wand passes through a frog and does nothing. You should prefer to not use that same wand again when you fight another frog! Similarly, from the 2nd level onwards, try to fire spare wands at a wall you haven’t fired them at yet.

7. All this being said, you can still quite easily die on the first level to unlucky Polymorph/Duplicate/Teleport shenanigans. The best way to insure yourself is to make sure you’re getting lots of artifacts.

20. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Awesome tips! You might want to add them to your guide or at least a link to them at the start.