Universal Cinco Paus (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zen_mode, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Doug84

Doug84 Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Oooh, insta buy for me. Imbroglio has been on my phone since it came out! Cant wait to spend time with this.

2. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    The impact of not knowing the language at all can be a bit disconcerting and quickly amps up trying to grasp the base gameplay, which may be challenging on its own merits. IMHO, if you're not using a translator and typed out your response in English, I'd say you have a very good command and understanding of the language; and, as a result, you aren't as handicapped playing games using English compared to folks who are playing this game and aren't fluent in Portuguese.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I found 1 aspect I didn't really get until reading Vivafringe's Wand Ability Spoilers were that there were a couple of powers that ONLY triggered by hitting certain outer walls. Like 1 nasty ability that only triggered if, when using a wand with that ability, you bolt hits the far left outer wall of the maze.

4. triwolf

triwolf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2012
    The first thing that caught my attention in this game is that it doesn’t support the iPhone X screen size? Minor detail, but why isn’t this included at launch??

5. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Hey LG, can you see my name on the friends leaderboard? I can see my friends' scores but not my own. Wondering if it's an iOS 10 thing or what. Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

6. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Brough = instabuy
    2 children and family Xmas = less attention than usual.
    Wonderfully obtuse game delivery = I’m completely f*cking confused...

..and yet I’m massively happy about it. Happy Xmas everyone!!!

7. andrewdoull

andrewdoull Active Member

Aug 30, 2013
    I’m not sure if there’s any good ways to discover all the abilities. The pressure is on from turn 1. I really like it.

8. andrewdoull

andrewdoull Active Member

Aug 30, 2013
    That was probably the trickiest thing to get and the most fun to figure out so spoiler tags please.

9. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    It wouldn’ surprise me if the language English will unlock by doing something in the game?

10. ruim

ruim Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Coder, designer, teacher
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Hi guys

I don't have the game but I'm Portuguese and I'd be glad to help translating if anyone needs it. Just reply here or PM me. :)

11. Caminagetcha

Caminagetcha Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Yeah you got a point there :D

i’ve been fortunate to learn English quite early but have many friends that didn’t have that option and see in the posts about this game being in Portuguese, what my friends thought about ganes in English.

I’m not ranting or anything, just thought it was really funny at least to me &#55357;&#56833;

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    New discovery about artifacts for those interested:

Every 5 orbs you gather between dungeon runs on your current streak (runs in a row without dying), you'll get to choose a new ability from a choice of 2. While not sure if that will always be true, these appear persistent abilities you can use 1x per dungeon run on your current streak. Once your streak is broken, however, your next game will be back at square 1.

It looks like getting a bunch of extra keys will unlock a cool bonus as well, but no clue what.

13. Bitcoin

Bitcoin Member

Aug 1, 2017
    #53 Bitcoin, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  14. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't see you on my friends leaderboard, but I do see LG and a few others. Do you see me? I am still on iOS 10 as well.

I haven't had much time with this due to the busy holidays but it looks good so far.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #55 LordGek, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    No, Guise, if Guise is your handle in this game, I don’t see your entry. My top score currently is at 51.

Although I have yet to see a predictable pattern, tapping on highscore entries, especially when tap holding hover text for their artifacts, crashes me out of the game.

16. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    After reading about his language choice and that he still doesn't understand why so many people dislike his language choice, it shows to me how much the dev has to learn about audience and psychology. There is a huge difference between symbols and a foreign language. And it turns me even more away from this game, that he just did it because he is learning the language. This is so random. It just makes everyone who doesn't understand a single word feel totaly uncomfortable. This game could have reached so much more people. What a missed chance just for stupid arty reasons.

17. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    i agree with you on this one. awkward choice for sure, but the game itself is so much fun. what a shame.

18. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =X
    It makes me respect him even more. Then again, I'm also learning another language and getting into translation work to try and help me learn and be even more involved in it... And that he decided to take on this huge project as a way to immerse himself even more... Well... He completely has more respect from me as a fan of language and language puzzles.

I don't see why it matters if it's another language or if it's just symbols. If you would have been happier with it just being symbols and you're clearly not interested in learning Portuguese, why not just imagine the letters you see are symbols strung together that you'll never bother learning? How is it any different to you?

It's obvious by reading comments from others that don't speak the language that it's most definitely playable by just paying attention to the game and learning what actions the icons represent. I'm just... I'm failing to see your logic and where your contempt comes from here...

19. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Thanks for posting the link to the dev notes. @ghostdog1 - In a sea of formulaic games which are commercially focused, how interesting to see choices like this, including for apparently whimsical reasons. You see it as a missed opportunity to reach more people, but I feel you may identify opportunities differently to Mr Brough!

20. Doug84

Doug84 Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Only up to 44 points so far, but getting better. This will stay with imbroglio on my phone for sure though.