Universal Cinco Paus (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zen_mode, Dec 25, 2017.

1. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
  2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #22 LordGek, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    WOW! Thanks :D

While I THOUGHT I knew what most of these abilities did, some of the finer details on interactions you provided I would have never guessed.

3. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    So, is this game like Imbroglio but with undefined and discoverable wands/powers? If that is the case, I don't a reason to drop a fiver if it plays similarly. What other unique selling points that separate this from his other great games?

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'd say it's more comparable to 868-Hack. Almost like a mix of 868 and Zaga 33. But still completely its own beast. Even if you own every MB roguelike, I'd fully recommend dropping the fiver. Knowing how much gameplay I've got (and still have yet to get) out of all his previous games, $5 is a steal.
    The complete randomness of the effects attributed to each wand you're given and how they interact with eachother - it's very reminiscent of the Ossuary expansion from Imbroglio. So maybe a mixture of all of his previous roguelike/dungeon crawlers... With a bunch of new ideas thrown on top and polished to perfection. =D
    I'd be absolutely shocked if this isn't on whatever iDevice I have 3-4 years from now.
    =P

5. andrewdoull

andrewdoull Active Member

Aug 30, 2013
    If you’ve played any roguelikes at all, he’s taken the identification mini game and turned it into the complete game. So you’ve effectively got the 5 uses of each of your wands (maybe more?) to figure out the 5 effects each wand does. If you use the wand in a way that activates the effect, it’ll add the icon to the wand.

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So have any of you more skilled players managed to snag an artifact or 2? I have yet to get 1 and am curious, is it simply a spare persistent wand or some clever persistent passive ability as long as you keep your current streak going?

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I got one. One game. If I'm remembering correctly (sorry, I have the flu and have been taking quite a bit of cough syrup... Hehe) you get to chose between one of three abilities. I think you can only use it once. I don't know if it's once every game (every loop/5 levels) or if it's just a one time use ability because I died the stage after using it...
    =X
    Sorry... Not much help... I know... I'm still trying to get my head completely wrapped around the game... =P
    Typical MB, yah? Hehe...

8. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #28 LordGek, Dec 27, 2017
    Get well, there are wands to discover!

Another question for the pro players, does Esquecer (the one showing the side profile of a guy’s head with an X through it) remove an ability from a wand OR merely its denotation until rediscovered? Like say a wand had “Frog Instakill” and after the Equecer effect kicked in the frog killing icon disappeared. Would it mean it no longer instantly killed frogs or that, until I use it on another frog, that ability just isn’t shown on that wand?

9. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    why a game like that is not in english ? its a mistake ?

i think if the developer would give some user difficult, he can just put the text like :

@&€€@& @&€€&

but not in portuguese....

10. Fruityth1ng

Fruityth1ng Active Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks, I was looking for this :) I'm a bigger fan of 868-Hack (also because of the hacker aesthetic) - than of imbroglio - and by looks I would have mistaken this for more of an imbroglio.

*sigh* "opens app store..."

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks SV and Andrew

12. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I really dont understand why this game is kept in portuguise language. If the dev really wants to make a game without using language and just symbols, maybe he shouldnt write any text in his game. This is just weird to hover over wands and effects and to just read it in this language. For me the dev was too lazy and wants his fans to translate it. There is not much mistery about this.

IMO
    For me the randomness of wands and its effects is turning me off totaly. Many games are not solveable because of bad wand effect rolls. Its so much luck involved, so i would not call it a strategy game or a tactical game. It just depends on what wands you get in the beginning. Maybe i would understand more if it was english.

13. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You figured it out. This is just a sloppy game from a lazy dev. The fact that many of us are really enjoying it is because we’re too stupid to realize we’ve been hoodwinked by a charlaton. ;)

14. Someon

Someon Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    #34 Someon, Dec 27, 2017
    So how does it compare to his other roguelike games? Better, worse, clone?Is it any different? I’ve played Imbroglio for few hours when it came out, got tired of it and never looked back. I respect Michael work, he is wise, creative guy, but maybe his games aren’t for me*.
    * autodiss? No, it is not.

15. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    In that case he probably would have just made it in English in the first place, given that that’s his native language.

With careful planning, I don’t generally find this to be the case. And it could just be survivorship bias, but the number of consecutive runs (let alone points) that are being reached on the leaderboard show that it’s not mainly dumb luck.

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While I’m enjoying it, it might be his quirkiest yet. Would you like it? Well do you enjoy finding out what the random potions do in your typical roguelike? This game takes that whole, “figuring out what your randomly assigned equipment does before the baddies take you out” to the extreme.

17. Caminagetcha

Caminagetcha Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    Bought the game because I like the developer but mainly because it is in Portuguese and I’m Portuguese.

I get really amused by all the people complaining about the game being in my language. It’s probably the first time they are in this position, something the people that don’t have English as their main language are really used to and we learned the language.

Kudos to the developer.

Got my respect, especially from now on. :D

18. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    It's a bit early, but this could be Brough's best game so far. Tons of interesting decisions, lots of variety in game states, super fun core mechanic of firing a wand to see what goofy things happen. Would highly recommend if you enjoyed his other stuff.

19. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm with viva on this one

20. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    To be fair its much easier to grasp english as its everywhere, in school early on at least here, movies, music, games etc.