Universal Chrono Trigger (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    #81 gwet17, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
    Well, based on these impression, it looks as if Square Enix has done it again. And by that, I of course mean to insult the memory of a game hailed as one of the best RPGs of all time with a shoddy port. *golf clap*

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. pen_sq

pen_sq Member

Dec 15, 2009
    #82 pen_sq, Dec 9, 2011
    Nah. The hardest part of SNES emulation is getting the sound hardware right, so the port team substituted a magic opcode to trigger their emu* to play a wav. It's disappointing that the porters didn't use some sort of psychoacoustic frequency domain something three science to compress their results. Do they have any appreciation of how much Apple Gigabytes cost?

*Wouldn't be very proper to nick a copy of Bsnes9xticle, would it?

3. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

#83 Arashi541, Dec 9, 2011
    I am not really experiencing any game crushing difficulties with the joystick. I have learned to work around its flaws and to use it in the right way.

EDIT: Wow this sounds almost spiritual! lol

4. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    This_is_awesome.

5. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    As much as i loved the original, the photos of this game turn me off. I won't be buying it anytime soon and certainly not for the amount of money they are asking. A free promo code, i might give it a try. Otherwise i'll just keep playing mini motors.

6. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    #86 ikemike, Dec 9, 2011
    Does anyone have a reason why the graphics in this game couldn't have been pixel-sharp? I seriously think that these game porters would benefit from having crisp, pixel-perfect graphics in their ports, so they'd better have a good reason to have continued not doing that with the retina display's existence.

EDIT: I suppose, as a graphic artist, I can appreciate the difficulty in resizing images to be sharp— especially if it's of a certain file type. Still, it takes a healthy amount of laziness to simply convert those images into something more sharply upscaled. And— with the exception of FFIII— SE has shown to be an extraordinarily lazy developer.

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    No access to my iPad at the moment so I decided to give this a shot on a 3GS. Much better. In fact, seems perfectly playable and looks "alright." Ironic that you must go 2 device generations back to be able to enjoy a premium priced game though, no?

Another issue: the game does not appear to automatically save your progress. Anything gone from your device's short term memory is lost. I looked in vain through the menus to find some sort of manual save. No dice. So I'm assuming that means save points? Haven't played this game before so no idea how frequent they are. Regardless, the situation strikes me as being less than ideal.

As for the game itself, after all the messing around, redownloading, losing my progress and beginning again, I've still very little idea.

8. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Just guessing, but I think their reason may have been something like this: the chumps will be all over this at $10 as is, so why put in the extra work?

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Consider me a chump.

I'm just ecstatic that I've got Chrono Trigger on my iPod. Something I loved as a youngster is with me yet again, and just like then, I could care less about the graphics...

And it's what? 1/4 the price it is on any other platform? I can't complain about that one little bit.

10. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Good for you. You represent a particular (and sizable) group of gamers. I represent another group that comes to this sans rose coloured specs. I think this port will do little to capture the latter, (regardless of quality of the actual game) and the better this game is the more that is a pity and a lost opportunity. Fair enough?

11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    wow i cannot figure out how to save. lost 30 minutes of gameplay =\ can someone tell me how/where to save? this game is pretty bad in that it doesn't explain anything to you. you just.. play. even with "help messages" on i haven't seen one message giving me any gameplay tips.

and yeah i have to agree... graphics are kinda underwhelming. wish they were at least sharper

12. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    if i remeber correctly, you can only save after renting a room at an inn an spleeping there

13. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

You should be able to save anywhere in the overworld and at green sparkly places in dungeons. From the beginning I suggest going to the Mayor's Manor. It's the green house the farthest to the west in the southernmost cluster of houses. I hope those directions make sense - if they're not clear enough, just tell me and I'll try to think of some other way to say them. At the Mayor's Manor you'll learn about game mechanics, save points, etc.

@TheFrost: That's incorrect.

14. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    I'd appreciate it if someone could open iBooks with this in the background and see if the game is still running when you come back to it. That's really the only other app I would use in-between gaming sessions...

This is the only thing holding me back from a purchase, aside from the graphical quality which will likely never be changed.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The game supports fast app switching, so as long as you are not using a lot of other apps, you should be able to go back and forth between CT and iBook.

You can save anywhere in the overworld -- just hit menu and scroll down to the options till you see "Save". In addition, you will find purple glowing spots in the dungeons -- those are also save points (there's usually one before a boss). When you start getting some cash, make sure to stock up on Shelters, which will fully restore a party at a Save point.

16. AlienSEX

AlienSEX Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I still have the ORIGINAL JAPANESE SNES cartridge of Chrono Trigger! it is now worth quite alot of money :D

17. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    I don't know. I turned the game off about 2 hours ago. Since then I answered one phonecall, played one other game (briefly,) and posted a couple of times here. Just opened CT again and got greeted with the title screen and a "New Game" option. So now I have to restart for the third time, and not know if I'm going to be able to continue or not next chance I get to play. I don't know if I can be bothered.

If I am playing a game on my iPhone and have to go, often I have to go. I don't always have X amount of minutes to look for a save. After "having to go" I'm often not sure when I will have a chance to play next.

Perhaps iPhone gaming works differently in Square's world.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    A quick, spoilery note for those folks like Gabrien who are playing CT for the first time. The first hour or so of the game comes across as a perfectly decent but unremarkable JRPG.
    Keep at it. After beating the first boss, the game pulls the rug from under your feet and turns into something, well, remarkable.

19. Oreniishi

Oreniishi Active Member

Oct 12, 2011
    #99 Oreniishi, Dec 9, 2011
    ok made a video to show the quality so people can decide before shelling out $10 or £7 for the game. Personally I dont mind the quality. Theres a little footage of ib2 just to show the quality of my camera more than teaching people the difference between HD and non :D

Also towards the end of the video around 3:38 I've added an extra footage of where the save button is via the menu screen. This can only be used on the map section of the game I think.

http://youtu.be/3pXQ1CWDCSE

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I understand. I wish Square had implemented the same "quit and save" system that they used in FF3. There are, however, plenty of opportunities to save in the game. Just leave whatever area you are and go to the overworld.