Universal Chrono Trigger (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Badtz!

Badtz! Active Member

Nov 7, 2011
    #62 Badtz!, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    Although I'm not a fan of the new font (barf), and I didn't ever get around to actually playing CT on the SNES9X: I've been waiting eagerly to start playing the game on an actual iOS port.

Anyway, I hope the controls aren't awkward, i.e, joystick control instead of a directional pad. This game (like any SNES game) was meant for a d-pad, no? Either way, it sure as hell wasn't meant for a joystick, and neither was Secret of Mana...

Edit: Went through the thread and watched the video - joystick. I'll wait for more impressions.

2. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    ITunes cards are great gift items to request. I pay for my apps via my CC but Christmas came early when I upgraded to an iPad 2 32GB 3G from an apple store employee on Craigslist who included a bunch of extras including a $100 iTunes gift card! Now I got $123 left in credit! Woohoo!

I don't think an iPad version is coming but since I have enjoyed lots of iPhone games on my iPad, I'm hoping this one could look decent.

3. Varyl

Varyl Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Any chance of someone recording a quick gameplay video? I would love to hear how the joystick is fairing as well, as that's really my only concern before buying this.

On a small side note concerning the size of this release, there was a tweet mentioning it, and it made me wtf.

@millenomi
    Chrono Trigger is 628 MB uncompressed. Of these, 601 MB are .CAF files containing the game's music. In Apple Lossless format. #WHY

4. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    The new approach of Square enix to is to deceive us to get more money... They don't release iPad version, they wait till all the fans who love their game to download it and then when they become sure that most of fans bought it , they release IPad version. Kinda sly attempt to double charge...and of course to make this work, they will never release an an universal version and they will delay the iPad version

5. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I don't think there will be an iPad version. The closest Square release to this is Secret of Mana and it was released at this time last year, and there is no iPad version of that.

6. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

HD Gameplay Trailer (iPhone/First few Minutes of Gameplay):

Note:

I hate that damn Virtual Joystick. Could someone at Square please do his job once right?

7. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I don't like the looks of those virtual controls. I've never played any of the other versions.

Will that floaty looking joystick affect the gameplay, especially battles?

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It doesn't matter if they're "untouched" (which I agree with, BTW): as long as they were upscaled they will take up dramatically more space. Here's an easy exercise; take a screenshot of the emulated version on your PC, bring it to Photoshop, and upscale it to retina screen resolution using bicubic interpolation. The image looks as pixelated as the original, but takes up much more space. Imagine doing the same with every background, every sprite, as well as every frame of animation, of a 20 hr + game. That's how you get to 500 MB.

In general, I start with the assumption that professionals are not morons. I may not fully understand why they makes particular decision, but I assume that there was a good reason (unless I see evidence saying otherwise). Perhaps I'm too charitable...

9. Waks

Waks Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Philippines
    Getting this as soon as I get home! Darn 3G network not allowing you to download more than 20mb worth of apps :(

10. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I actually strongly suspected the file size was mostly due to needlessly large sound files. Strange decision.

In any case, I worry less about large file sizes for RPGs since they get played then deleted. Suspect I'm going to regret this, but here goes me giving yet another chance to a "classic" JRPG to impress me.

11. Badtz!

Badtz! Active Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Confirmed... The BGM and SE folders are ~600 MB. :mad:

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Interesting...

13. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Don't worry there will be a 2 gig update coming to add japaneese dialogue

14. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    I bought the DS version a while ago but didn't get around to playing it. I'm glad I waited now the game plays beautifully on the iPad in 2x. Looking forward to finally enjoying this game. Funny thing, earlier I was just checking the UK psn store to see if they had added Crono Cross yet- they hadn't, then I came to TA and saw this has dropped seconds before- not a bad consolation :)

15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    man i woulda settled for lower quality sound for a smaller file but i guess they want it to look like a BIG game. if it's small i guess some people wouldn't think it's legit. and... they probably want it to sound nice lol

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Are you guys going with the active battle system or the waiting battle system?

17. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I really thought that there was going to be an Ipad version.. but from the looks of it, it won't be..

and regarding the filesize...

The guy with his 4 MB SNES is laughing now...
    if you take the sound files away from the 610 Mb then your pretty
    much ending up with a 4Mb within an emulator... lol

18. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Really? I'm going to try this on the iPad then. The graphics on a retina display make me feel like I need glasses. The fact that the text is actually crisp and clear somehow just makes the whole even worse. I have to admit my initial thought was: this is acceptable for $10? Wow.

19. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Do you think SE considers this a game of FFIII's caliber, and will probably wait either a long time or never put it on sale? If so, I'll just buy it now, because I know I'll end up buying this sooner or later. =P