Universal Chrono Trigger (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Haruhi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    On my Pro 10,5 is full screen now with quite crisp graphics (instead of the past phone 2x version). I cannot guarantee for the 12,9 pro but i can assume that it will be OK.

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I've actually been wanting to get this but I heard this game is bad based on the port (not the game itself). I'm worried about spending my money on something that won't play well on the phone. Unfortunately all ports can't be made like FFIX was.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That is incorrect. Starting in April, all new apps will have to support the iPhone X screen. There is no word about when (if ever) Apple will require all apps to be updated to support iPhone X proportions.

Here’s the original story

As to ChronoTrigger, I expect that any iPhone X update will only replace the black bars with a pattern. We’re talking about a very old (but great) game here.

4. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    iPhone X full screen?

5. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I’ve had it all along
    Its awesome to be able to play this classic on mobile especially after this great update

6. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    There is NO iPhone X screen omptimization as of this time. maybe in the future

7. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    #407 Gurney Halleck, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Been playing on my iPad Pro 10.5 and it is now universal with cloud save and looks much much better with the new graphical touches imho.

EDIT: The new mfi controls are working great. Really loving this revisit and the most fun I have had playing CHRONO Trigger since I first played on the DS! Playing with mfi while mirrored on my legacy Apple TV is also working brilliantly!

Between this and the new Scrungeon Depths content and quality of life update I am pretty effing stoked! I have even put down my Switch for my iPad and phone for the first time in a good minute #

8. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I’d definitely appreciate side bars where the controls would still work. And I’d much rather have side bars than the image stretched like FF III. I hate playing games at an unevenly scaled aspect ratio. Side bars get my vote every time.

9. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    I want to buy one game today apart from Evoland 2 ...: Chrono Trigger or FFDII? (both withnot iPhone X 16: 9 a.r. support)

10. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I enjoy them both, and have gotten my money’s worth out of them. But the main question is are you more in the mood to just battle between short story moments or actually explore and battle between story? FFDII is menu driven. So you tap on a map to enter a battle. And you’re going to battle a lot. But you probably won’t get lost wandering around, because the next area is always a menu tap away. Collecting abilities and leveling through battles is quite relaxing and enjoyable for me. CHRONO Trigger, though, has a great story with a lot to it, time travel, walking around over worlds and areas, and battles are classic compared to FFDII’s more F2P design.

So, if you’re in the mood for one of the best classic designed RPGs ever, I’d say get this. But if you’re more in the mood for fast, quick gameplay, based on F2P gameplay, check out FFDII. I enjoy that too, especially since it is now premium!

11. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    Oh, ok. Then... Chrono trigger it´s the chosen one because i´m more an old school player and a person who definitely likes to explore on their own (more than just playing in a menu) I have never played C.T. before because i always hated the idea to sit in a place to play videogames (Super Nintendo) Since i was a 3 years-lifeform ever loved the idea to play game in anywhere (Game boy), and for this reason I could not play this jewel in its maximum splendor.

12. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Personally recommend CHRONO Trigger of the three if you haven't played it yet. Especially now as this new update greatly improves the gameplay experience on iOS.

13. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Are the new updates optimized for mobile? That is, is it possible to enjoy all of the content in this game with the upgrade version without making fatal errors? I haven't got this yet. Previous reviews did not recommend this. People said it is better to enjoy CHRONO TRIGGER with SNES or NDS. If this upgrade is a good way to handle it on mobile, I'd like to buy and play.

And do you think this upgrade could bring up the price later?
    If it is similar to the Final Fantasy 5 and 6, It could be likely to rise to $14.99.

There's a lot to play right now, so I don't play it right now, but it's a game I am interested in. :)

14. RunTheJewels

RunTheJewels Member

Mar 1, 2018

We don’t know your financial situation so only you can find the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Even with the update this game will stay $9.99 I would be very surprised if it ever changed from that
    Sometimes square has sales but it’s usually around Christmas

16. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I think the question is also just whether the game is worth buying after the update since it was the original mobile version panned pretty hard (including by Shaun here at TA). I know I’m on the fence now after the update.

I don’t know if the ranting on Steam is just because of it being a “mobile port” (even though it isn’t) or if there are legit problems with this.

17. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    Already we have experienced it in Death Road to Canada. ;) Of course it's a great game.
    I thought if it was improved in more ways than ever before, it could be.

18. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    Thanks for a wise answer to a silly my question.;)

Okay. Let's focus on this game, not taking into consideration the price.

Is it possible to enjoy all of the content in CHRONO TRIGGER with this upgrade version without making fatal errors?
    In previous versions, this game could not be played anymore because of bugs.

Unlike the current negative reviews at Steam, the upgrade was mostly positive at iOS App Stores.

19. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I haven't personally played through the entire game yet. I was almost 40 hours into it when the update arrived. After updating, all of my saves were there, I was able to upload a save to the cloud, and now there are "Bookmarks" which is like a quick save feature. I don't know if there are any game-breaking bugs, but I haven't found any. And the controls and menus feel a lot better. Also, the auto battle feature is nice when I'm just battling lower level stuff. I've grown to love that feature in these updated classic games!

20. nyanpass

Dec 30, 2017
    Thank you for your valuable comment. If so, this upgrade version would be pretty good. Everyone knows this game's fame, but it seems like it's hard to reach the endings by heart. Is it time to finally enjoy one of the best games ever! :D