ChromeOS

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by The prez 12521, Dec 16, 2010.

1. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Hey guys!

So...anybody apply/make it into the cr-48 (google chrome notebook)? I did! It's pretty awesome, seeing as you are given no notification...you just get a laptop! But mine wont boot..it may be DOA!

It's pretty slick still...!

Now back to dungeondefender, hookworld, and aralon

2. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    i applied. but i doubt they will choose me.. i have zero to offer there demographic. i mean i do not even own a cell.

all i told them i could do is give them feed back what 60 years old think.. as they all are living here at this time of year then they leave.. and im all alone on the block for most part. did you get a email saying they accepted you, or did the laptop just show up.. if they did send you a email.. then i def did not get picked.

chris.

3. danrel

danrel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Software dealings-with-er, Illustrator
    Central NC
    I applied and hopefully I'll come home to a nice new laptop today. I've been using a tracker in the link below to see if there are any cr-48's that have been shipped to my zip code. So far there are two on the way to my zip code that are to be delivered today.

http://addicted-gamer.com/cr48-tracker/

4. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    wow you actually got accepted?

i filled out the application and forgot i even did it...i'm not expecting to get anything...though i desperately need a new laptop...my current one is falling apart and blue screens all the time :(

5. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I also applied. Hopefully I'll get one.

6. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Where does one apply?

Any actual requirements needed?

7. StarCraftIsGreat

StarCraftIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    ^Seriously. Can you still even sign up anymore? There have been 5 delivered in my zip code but I never signed up. :(

8. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program.html

you have until 21 so tomorrow. would seem my date is off. hah, that happens with old age we forget.. ( im 36 )
    Limited number. Expires 11:59:59 PM PST on December 21, 2010. US only.

no requirements.. just fill in the data.. if you have a cell phone and are young and on the go.. is my guess what they want for testers.

not us old dead beats like my self. who are in retirement from life.

chris.

9. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    About a week and a half ago, my Cr-48 showed up. Like the prez, I totally wasn't expecting it. It's pretty nice, and I love how fast it boots up and shuts down.

If you don't get chosen for the pilot program, just use Google Chrome. It's basically the same thing, IMO.

10. swishinj

swishinj Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    CEO at Apple Inc.
    true dat!
    I just dig the free laptop. Too bad I probably won't get picked. 20 minutes outside indianapolis is probably too far. Google probably thinks i'm a hillbilly using dial up.:p:rolleyes:

11. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
    Just signed up. I also found out 5 were shipping to my zip too.

12. iStephen

iStephen Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Ohio
    Yeah the free laptop is definitely a plus!:D

13. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    So it turns put mine is probably going to need a replacement cuz I can only use an external monitor. It's really cool though. And that application on getting in? Well I just said how we are using it. I provide tons of feedback and use it all the time for most stuff. But if I want to use the adobe suite or a movie editor for commentating, then I will wip up one of my windows/Linux boxes.

I did go inside the beast though! It's quite cool. Blue motherboard and there are practically no brand names showing. The ram is covered by pretty much a black sticky note. The 16gb Ssd is nice too! It's all very cool! If I don't have to give back my current one when I get a replacement, I will probably put Linux on it and play minecraft :). Haha and it is just like chrome, but that's all you need. Maybe you have to do something else for work. Well use a work computer. But it is cool how fast it is.