Christmas Air Hockey - Choose the icon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Acceleroto, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Acceleroto

Acceleroto Well-Known Member

Hey everybody-

I'm submitting Christmas Air Hockey very soon & would love for everyone here to help me pick the icon. I do plan on adding the air hockey table air holes to the red icon backgrounds & maybe some glow from the lights to make it look more like an air hockey table. Please pick a favorite and/or share your thoughts!

[​IMG]

Here are some screenshots from the game:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Some details on the game:
    - Full retina display support
    - Game Center and/or OpenFeint - your choice!
    - Sweet starburst particle effects
    - 5 Table themes
    - Snowmen! Santa voices!

Thanks!

2. Anngithsachn

Anngithsachn Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I like #1. I don't really care for puck in the icon. It more like a yoyo.

3. MarkusN

MarkusN Active Member

Jul 26, 2009
    +1 for Nr. 1!
    Nice screenshots :)

4. Acceleroto

Thanks guys. Lots of people on Twitter were leaning towards #3. Here are some variations on #3. Thoughts? Still like #1 best?

[​IMG]

5. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
  6. pablo6630

pablo6630 Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    Number 1 is the best

7. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
  8. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
  9. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
  10. eXistenT

eXistenT Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Germany
    Vote for 3

11. LadyNeddy

LadyNeddy Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Vote for 3b.
    (6 and 9 seem the same for me...or do I need new glasses?)

12. Acceleroto

So....I've had a couple people tell me they really hated the bigger lights on #1, so I'm inclined to not go with that one. Can you guys pinpoint what about #1 you like?

FWIW, I did some more tweaking on 3 - the shadows are "hard" to match the style of the game & refined the light glow. Here's that one:

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone! I'm doing final testing now on the game. If all goes well, I'm submitting it today.

13. Acceleroto

Nope, it looks like I made 6 & 9 a trick question - good catch!

14. Acceleroto

Submitted!

Christmas Air Hockey's now in review at Apple! Here are some extra screenshots showing off some of the particle effects:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

16. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    The 3rd and 5th TABLE look hard because of the plant and ribbons in the way of the goal.

17. Acceleroto

The ribbons on the 5th screenshot actually stay completely out of the way - they're drawn underneath the action. Two of the tables are done this way for so you can have nothing in the view of the action. The lights & plants on the other tables are rendered above the mallets & pucks - they cast shadows & light onto the game pieces. The lights don't really get in the way at all. I think they really give a cool holiday effect to the table!

18. Elimin8

Elimin8 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Please add multiplayer via gamecenter!

19. #19 Mindfield, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
    I'll vote for #2. The bat is easily identifiable on the bottom left and draws the eye, and there's clear conceptual separation between the bat and the pine boughs and Christmas lights. The rest either don't draw the eye to the bat first (so users can instantly identify it as Christmas air hockey), are too crowded/busy (don't separate elements with enough background), or are unclear at a glance on which elements of the icon belong to the game or the theme symbols.

20. Acceleroto

Wouldn't that be great!? I'm sure you've noticed that no one is doing that well with an air hockey-type game. For a game as fast as Air Hockey, you really can't deal with network latency. I've done lots of tests for this over the past couple years & even more recently with Game Center. Even across town (over wifi), pings can be around 100ms. That's 1/10th of a second - it doesn't sound like much, but you'd absolutely hate it in a game like this. Playing over 3G is much worse.

Others have claimed they can do it, but after really digging in it looks like they've all found what I have. The best way to give you a great gaming experience is to NOT have multiplayer over the internet for an air hockey game. Sorry. :cool: