iPad Chop Sushi - 3 Match With Battle Mode [Now FREE]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Carlos-Sz, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    #1 Carlos-Sz, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
    Chop Sushi was released.

It's yet another 3 match game but it has an unique gameplay as you can see in the video below (J2ME version).

What it is interesting is that the game features battle mode.

So in this approach we have a new matching mechanism along with a welcome battle mode.

Once it is available I'll purchase it but it'd be nice to hear about the game from someone that can purchase it right now.

Price: $2.99

First impression:

It's now available at US Store.

- Great graphics, sounds and OK music
    - Options to set sounds and music volumes
    - Unique gameplay: tap to select a sushi then swap with your finger anywhere on the screen to set the direction (top to bottom or vice-versa, left to right or vice-versa); the sushi will be placed in the same row or column as seen in the video (see initial post) so you can't place the sushi anywhere you want
    - Adventure mode will explain details about the gameplay (start here then!)
    - It seems that once you start any of the 3 game modes you also start to build a Profile (level, health, power, experience, recipes etc.); New Game here seems to mean new profile too, so even if you just played a Quick Battle and won the game will ask you if you want to continue next time you'd want to play.
    - Reasonable loading time
    - In the beginning at least battles are not too deep: green sushi to kill opponent health; orange one to get experience; however, later it seems to be more like recipes... Well, time will tell.

Tho I didn't play it that much I'm enjoying it so far.

2. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Actually looks like it could be fun. I like the new twist on how it's played. We'll see what happens when it gets to the US store.

3. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Not in UK either FYI.

4. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Strange... Maybe the developer needed to make a fix or something because the game is displayed in AppShopper but not available in US or UK.

5. radiostar

radiostar Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sorry to say so.
    But it looks just like a porting game from mobile phone to iPhone.
    Nothing special.
    Anyways its graphics make me want to chop sushis for sure!

6. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    It's now available at US Store.

- Great graphics, sounds and OK music
    - Options to set sounds and music volumes
    - Unique gameplay: tap to select a sushi then swap with your finger anywhere on the screen to set the direction (top to bottom or vice-versa, left to right or vice-versa); the sushi will be placed in the same row or column as seen in the video (see initial post) so you can't place the sushi anywhere you want
    - Adventure mode will explain details about the gameplay (start here then!)
    - It seems that once you start any of the 3 game modes you also start to build a Profile (level, health, power, experience, recipes etc.); New Game here seems to mean new profile too, so even if you just played a Quick Battle and won the game will ask you if you want to continue next time you'd want to play.
    - Reasonable loading time
    - In the beginning at least battles are not too deep: green sushi to kill opponent health; orange one to get experience; however, later it seems to be more like recipes... Well, time will tell.

Tho I didn't play it that much I'm enjoying it so far.

7. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    I've seen some info on this before and I was interested, but I have way too many puzzles games that I haven't even put any time into, so I won't be trying this out for a while.

8. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    I know exactly what you mean. :)

9. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Saw this earlier in the week and it looked very interesting. So many match-3 games though and each one I keep around has something specific I like about it. This one seems to have numerous things I like about it.

If this keeps up, I'll eventually be able to devote a entire page to match-3 games. >.<

10. smear

smear Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    U.S. (Detroit, MI)
    This game is really fun and it has a great art style. If you're a fan of puzzle games, pick this up. It's very polished and well worth the $3.

11. Ok Chop Sushi lite version is out so you can decide for yourself if you like turn based match 3 instead of timed. I love Chop Sushi got my got to a little over 1,000 HP currently only have 2 recipes so still a ways to go.

12. holliberry

holliberry Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I just bought this game a few days ago. I had the light version, played for a few min, and was frustrated with the controls because it was like the exact opposite of what my brain was expecting (pick up the sushi and swipe to the right to place it on the right side and scoot the row left) but once I figured that out it was tons of fun :) I really like how it goes above the normal match 3's by adding recipes, challenges, fishing (!) haha, etc. This will probably be one of the few games I play to completion and will actually play again.

13. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I'm stuck on a challenge at last! One of the hard challenges towards the end is very hard.

It's called Kaibashira Rage and it's really tough. I finished it in 5/4 moves but I can't complete it. It's really frustrating me. Anybody play this game to completion?

14. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    ^ I did horribly on more than a few challenges, even though I finished the game itself. I meant to try to get back to them but my iPod got all messed up and I accidentally deleted the game. I wish I remembered which one it was so we could walk each other through it :(

15. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Chop Sushi is one of those games that I absolutely love but never seem to play :rolleyes:

16. ataloss

ataloss Well-Known Member

..thank god I'm not alone in this feeling. Every time this thread pops up, I load it back on my device for a few rounds but then... it seems to disappear again... strange that... :rolleyes:

17. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    This has quickly become one of my favorite Iphone games. It's a great pick up and play game if you have a few minutes to kill. Pretty soon, you will realize you have been playing for an hour.

Does anyone know whether you can just keep fishing on the left side of each island or whether eventually there is nothing left to catch? I have sometimes fished 10-20 times without moving to the next battle and just wondered whether the fish stop coming at some point.

18. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    In my experience, the fishing was endless.

19. Universomo

Universomo Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Updated version right around the corner!

Chop Sushi! gets a facelift

Hi, guys! This is Universomo, the developer of Chop Sushi! (along with many other fine titles).

We just wanted to let you know that we submitted a new version (1.0.17) of Chop Sushi! to App Store last Friday. It’s still waiting for approval, but by all accounts it should be available pretty soon. We are really excited about the update as we have completely re-done the graphics and the framerate has been doubled – all-in-all, it’s a much smoother game now!

Oh, and since many people have requested it, in the new version you CAN play your own music in the background (the game has good music, but we totally understand that after dozens of hours you might want to hear something else for a change ;) ).

Below are some screenshots of the new visuals. You can find more screenshots from here.

Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. SpontaneousEd

SpontaneousEd New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Ah, an official Universomo post! This is exciting! It looks really crisp, guys!
    Great job on a really fun game by the way. it will be nice to play Chop Sushi listening to some Ryuichi Sakamoto, eheheh...