Universal Chop Chop Hockey - (by Gamerizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    does this game have like the lack of depth that the other chop chop sports games have?

2. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Associate producer
    Montreal
    Here are the teams :)

The "Killer Bees": Fast, accurate, and deadly but, yes, they can be squashed...

The "Skulls": Their gameplay is inspired from a particular Philadelphia Hockey team from the seventies. Nuff said...

The "Flamingos": Elegant, artistic, light-footed and dressed in ... well, pink. Their goalie is INSANE.

The "Cops": Methodical, structured, organized though not particularly creative.

The "Commandos": Surgical and resourceful, but is their green camouflage outfit that effective on the ice?

The "Infernos": They fire shots from every angle! Weaknesses? We haven't found any yet.

The "Ninjas": Yes, they wear masks and strike like lightning. No, we don't know where they're from.

The "Cavemen": A new formation from the Ice Age. They may still be rough on the edges as far as skating goes, but most observers agree they've mastered slashing, cross-checking and basic annihilating.

3. matthewwhatever

matthewwhatever Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    government
    Ottawa, Canada
    This looks pretty cool...it reminds me of The Hockey Experiment, except not terrible. I'm eager to try it out!

4. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    #24 Gabrien, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
    Game Impressions

Well, this is very familiar. Top notch technically as far as frame rate, animations go, but the controls just feel "chunky" and imprecise. Flicks don't register with consistency (and often do when you don't mean them to,) intended shots regularly end up as passes and vice-versa, aiming isn't particularly precise. Your fingers/thumbs are constantly covering up a not quite acceptable percentage of the action.

There's fun to be had, in the mad dash and scramble of the whole thing, with the chaotic gameplay actually standing up fairly well just for what it is, for sure, and for a buck I don't regret getting this for a second, but I'll almost certainly forget all about it in a week or less, as I did with Soccer and Tennis.

5. RagManX

RagManX Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    One of my kids plays all the other Chop Chop games, so I'll be picking this up as soon as it's available. Really glad to hear it's intro-sale priced at $0.99.

6. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    The game looks awesome! Would buy it, but I'm tapped out at the moment.

7. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Just played my first game on this and straight away I can tell out of the 3 Chop Chop sports titles released so far this plays the best and for that is alot more fun easily worth the buck .

8. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    good god these games never end!

9. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Out in the US! Insta-bought!

10. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    #30 Qordobo, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
    First feeling, after some training and 3 match at lowest difficulty level, iPad play. Ie I'm very far to master the game yet nor have investigated it fully.

The first point is a warning, don't look in Chop Chop Hokey a sport simulation, don't even look in it another of those stick more arcade sport game that you enjoy (if you do). See in it just an action game with some depth and some tactic levels and cool controls that will change you from overused virtual sticks, no career mode just simple match or tournament and some teams to choose. It's just an action game for quick matches or longer tournaments.

A first thing to quote is that there's a new control scheme not seen in previous games of the Chop Chop sport series. Now most of the controls can be done with touch only. I have still mechanism coming from Chop Chop Soccer and tend overuse swipe controls a lot that are still possible. But it's a great idea to have try something with touch and now I'm starting get used to it, I find it very fun.

You can use touch to pass, shoot, hurt a player when you don't have the ball, hurt a player to try steal the puck, touch one of your player to take control of him when you are on defense, and touch controls are stacked so you can make sort of combo chains:
    • For example, you can touch a player, quickly touch another better placed to the goal and then quickly touch the goal. The resulting action is you pass to a player who instantly pass to a second player who chains with a shoot.
    • Another example is to make "one two" by touching twice close to another player, no need wait the balls arrives to second player. It's not in the help and I suppose it's a true combo when other chains are just generated by the general mechanism and controls stacking.
    Also those touch controls don't need to be fully exact and can be approximative. For example if you have the puck and touch somewhere, the pass is done to the closest player, if you touch more close to the goal then you shoot.

It's just great even if sometimes for long pass, swipe controls will be faster because they are relative and can be done in a small surface of the screen, this means your hand doesn't move long distances and that means something on iPad. A typical example of this in Chop Chop Soccer is pass and shoot, that can be done with two fast swipe gestures in a small surface.

Anyway I hugely advise players concentrate on those touch controls, for veteran of Chop Chop swipe controls to discover the possibilities, for players less experimented to use more easy controls.

The movements involved are slipping movements and you do them with changing relative swipe, it's well done and rather pleasant. It's difficult to explain exactly how this work but they symbolize well slipping movements on ice. There's something purely pleasant in that slipping control scheme, just fun to use it for using it. :D Anyway that slipping movements plus the touch controls are the huge differences with Chop Chop Soccer.

Overall I haven't played enough Chop Chop Hokey to compare well with Chop Chop Soccer. For sure try by yourself is the best. My first feeling is that touch controls of Chop Chop Hokey makes it more easy to master and increase the tactical depth a bit. But on another part those touch controls make it less technical than Chop Chop Soccer and if you like master controls of an action game then Chop Chop Soccer will give you more challenge. Chop Chop Hokey offer also the swipe controls, but despite it's the same team I'm not sure they are as well tuned than in Chop Chop Soccer. I haven't yet played long enough Chop Chop Hokey to tell.

For me it's still the Chop Chop Tennis Double which is the deeper action game of the Chop Chop sport series, alas it is less developed than the Simple Tennis match because you can't do double tournaments and don't have the team approach of the two other Chop Chop Sports. I can't compare well Chop Chop Soccer and Chop Chop Hokey because I haven't played enough Chop Chop Hokey. But from my first feeling you really need try Chop Chop Hokey for its slipping movements and touch controls with sort of combo. I would advise Chop Chop Soccer more for the pleasure of mastering the controls and then use some tricky chains and little tactics.

11. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I like chop chop because it is easy, fast and fun. Something I like to fill short breaks. Thanks for the sale, I took it.

My first impressions are of a better game, control wise, than soccer and lovely graphics.

12. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Great review Qordobo, thanks for the run down.

13. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Associate producer
    Montreal
    Thanks for the reviews Qordobo

More review/news here and here

14. Iphoneapps

Iphoneapps Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Germany
    Dear Kael,

I sent a private Message to you and hope you are able to take the time to answer it.

Thanks very much

15. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    We all know you sent a promo code request. :rolleyes: Not hard to figure out. But, what I do not understand is why you would post here... Boggels the mind...

Anyway, here's a hands on of gameplay.

16. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Gameplay on iPad.

Gameplay on iPad.

17. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I notice this game has been 64-bit upgraded :D