Choices, choices... what SP Campaign should I play first?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by kiranb28, Aug 26, 2010.

?

Choices, choices... what SP Campaign should I play first?

1. Crysis (with those new texture/realism mods I keep hearing about)

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. GTA IV (never bothered playing it more than 15 mins)

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. Splinter Cell: Conviction

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Metro 2033 (hearing tons of good things about this)

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Other

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    #1 kiranb28, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Just got a new computer (Athlon X4 635 with a GeForce GTX 465), and baffled at which Single Player campaign to fire up first (one of life's tougher decisions).

Yelp!

EDIT: Forgot to add Mafia 2 to the list... consider that 'Other'

2. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
  3. Corbin

Corbin Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Olympia, WA
    None of those have great single-player campaigns. I'd say fire up Crysis online.

4. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    A) GTA IV
    B) Metro 2033

5. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    Hmm... is Crysis online any good compared to other shooters (MW2/BC2) online?

6. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I vote BFBC2's SP. It was actually fun to play for me. Though I admit, that I still havn't quite beaten all of it yet. I get to distracted with the MP ^.^

7. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    How about Half-Life 2?

8. synther

synther Well-Known Member

Crysis online is absolutely horrible. Metro 2033 campain is good, you won't regret it if you play it.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

There are no good options in that list.

Bioshock, Bioshock 2, the various Half-Life 2 episodes, Portal, StarCraft II... All infinitely better than that garbage.

10. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I'll agree with these but the others were meh for story-wise. While Portal was great... it's story was just goofy. If you can even call it that. Though i am sure I will get hate-f*cked by that statement, it's just my opinion. Bioshock 2 was a letdown to the core. They should have just left out MP and worked harder on the SP.

11. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Portal was goofy in a good way. I enjoyed its sort of sarcastic humor, and I'm sure many others would agree. There was so much about that game to love.

If you really want to play games on the PC (from the looks of your list), I'd suggest playing Bioshock, Fallout 3, Doom 3, or go download Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

If you don't mind getting up from your PC and going to the consoles, pick up Metal Gear Solid 2, seeing as it's usually about $3 at the most. Otherwise play Vice City or San Andreas (which I still have yet to play), seeing as the campaigns are awesome. As aggrivating as it gets, I love playing through the missions in Vice City almost a bit more than free-roaming.

12. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Oh yeah absolutely! It's not like I didn't love it, I just wouldn't put it up there for "Favourite SP Campaign Story" is all lol.

13. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Forget Mafia II Kiran.

14. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    Saying the above games are 'better' than the ones I put up are valid, but calling the games garbage is pushing it, don't you think?

That's like me asking you to forget Solipskier... how dare you!

I did enjoy the missions in VC a lot when I played it, which is why GTA IV is on the list I posted (like I said, I haven't played it much so not sure how good/bad the mission structuring is in this one).

I also played and beat Portal - loved it while it lasted. Fallout 3 was good, played it for a couple of hours but moved on - might re-visit it.

15. Hdsn21

Hdsn21 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Super Mario Brothers

16. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I'll definitely agree with you there. While I loved the ambiguity of Portal's storyline, I do like something a bit more direct when it comes to storytelling. Nonetheless, it's a really cool concept.

17. Corbin

Corbin Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Olympia, WA
    I did enjoy the missions in VC a lot when I played it, which is why GTA IV is on the list I posted (like I said, I haven't played it much so not sure how good/bad the mission structuring is in this one).

The mission structure is easily the greatest weakness of GTA IV. There are a lot of warehouse shootouts, and not much variety. It's worth beating so you can play The Ballad of Gay Tony though :D

18. abruce42

abruce42 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Definitely metro 2033. Its literrally single player only, and ive heard its supposed to be somewhat short but an incredible experience. Gameinformer gave it a 9, which is a lot for a single player campaign game. Id say give it a try, you wont regret it.

19. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    On the list I'd say Battlefield BC2 because after that you could just jump in on MP. I'd get it on the console because the PC version is kinda meh only.

Starcraft 2's campaign is really awesome and also has an amazing MP experience so I'd consider getting that too.

20. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    For singleplayer from that list I'd have to go with Crysis. I got it when it first came out a few years back, aside from the many bugs and bad framerate
    (I had a new high end PC at the time, the first patch installed and it was still bad) Crysis was still an awesome game, especially the intro and first half of the game, as well as the ending. I'll admit the game does fall apart at times in the middle where the gameplay/story kind of sucks or dampers down a bit, but overall its a great game if you can get by/overlook the bugginess. I haven't played it in a few years so there might be new downloadable patches that correct most of bugs.

Also, the game can get very challenging, brutally difficult at times so keep that in mind before you decide if it's what you want to play or not.