Universal Choices: And The Sun Went Out (by Tin Man Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Nov 25, 2015.

1. sagittaeri

sagittaeri Active Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Video Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Subscription can be cancelled from the iTunes user account page (Apple handles all subscriptions management in iTunes). This page might help: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

Your feedback will be appreciated, if you have any. :)

2. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Is there a schedule for updates? I'm hooked on the story and I'm curious to known when new installments are due.

3. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    They said: "Content updates (new parts of the story) are scheduled every Friday, around 3 PM Melbourne time. Except if a typo is found, then it's fixed immediately."

But also that they were hiring more writers.

4. sagittaeri

sagittaeri Active Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Video Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    #24 sagittaeri, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Good news! A Windhammer Prize winner, Felicity Banks, signed the contract and has joined our ranks as a writer! She is an excellent IF author, so this bodes well for us. :)

Dankrio is right: the release schedule is every Friday, though admittedly we were one working day late in the last update due to family issues with one of the writers, and, equally important, the new Star Wars.

We'll gun for Friday again in the next updates, despite Christmas and New Years.

5. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Thank you!!

6. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015
    That is some wonderful news! I'm so happy to have subscribed to this game and I'm looking forward to the new updates!

7. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    The previous update had me worried about the update schedule because it was like 5-10 minutes of content. But with this last update (despite being late), I'm definitely feeling better about it. While I still blasted through it like a starved animal, it was an enjoyable 20 minutes or so.

If I download this on another device, will it sync up with my spot in the story, or will it be completely separate? This is the rare occasion I'm hoping it's the latter because I'd like to see if I can experience a different path while waiting for updates.

8. sagittaeri

sagittaeri Active Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Video Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you! I'm glad you found the length to be better now. We'll keep working on improving it. Out of curiosity, which strand are you on, now?

The save game *does* sync up using iCloud, actually... since Choices runs for the long term, we wanted people who upgrade their devices to continue their game from wherever they are.

I believe if you turn off your iCloud on one of your devices but keep your iTunes Store login, you'll be able to have two separate games running off the same subscription. Also, I'll consider adding the ability to turn off iCloud syncing from within the game itself in the next update... just remember that means you're stuck with that device until the conclusion of Choices!

9. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Hello, I just finished the third update to the game, and I must say I am pretty impressed. It began as a cool story, and is ramping up to be great. I love the sense of mystery slowly unfolding, and the characters are very well done.

I have a technical question. I cannot find where to save the progress on icloud to transfer it from my ipad to my ipod. The menu is very simple so I guess I'm missing something very obvious...

10. sagittaeri

sagittaeri Active Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Video Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you! :D I'm totally showing this to our writers.

As long as iCloud is enabled on your device, the save game is automatically synced to the cloud. So when you start the game on your other device (do a force quit & relaunch), it'll continue from the other device, wherever it is. The only caveat is both devices must have the same iCloud account, and preferably both have the same iOS version. Please let me know if that's not working for you!

Out of curiosity, which story strand did you end up in? :)

11. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    Well, i'd love to tell you, but i have no idea:) Is there a way to check where you are on the story tree ?

12. sagittaeri

sagittaeri Active Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Video Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Good point. Hmm let's try this... which location are you currently at?

13. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    Ok, this should not be too spoilerish :

at the end of ep3, I'm somewhere in the woods with Etienne, and something's happening (again) with the sun.

14. sagittaeri

sagittaeri Active Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Video Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    I know exactly which strand you're on... because I'm working on that one now. :) Thanks again and I hope you continue to enjoy it!

If iCloud syncing refuses to work for you, let me know (or send me a PM), and we'll work it out.

15. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    No, it worked like a charm, and my ipod is not even on the last ios :). I really hope you get the financial support needed for keeping it going till the end!

16. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    I'm in South America with the cab driver.

17. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Same here.

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Really love to have a checkpoint feature so player may easily backtrack and enjoy other possible alternative. Is/will there be any "good" or "bad" ending for this game?

19. sagittaeri

sagittaeri Active Member

Nov 26, 2015
    Video Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Once the game story concludes, you will be able to backtrack to any choice you've made and change them.

There will be multiple endings. That's all I can say about this for now. :)

20. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Ok I'm sold. Growing to love these type of games & Tin Man is simply brilliant. I really like the idea of a growing story & waiting for the next installment to arrive. Best of luck!!