Chillingo

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ianlow32, Feb 26, 2009.

1. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    It's like EA and other big oublishers. Having these guys publish your game, it's like having the pros doing the marketing and selling of your game. Plus Chillingo's name is very well known, so it might influence buyers' decisions.

2. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Yeah, pretty much.. Your Game + Big Name Sponsor = $$$

3. bookabisco

bookabisco New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    i was thinking the exact same thing today as well. Chillingo is raging with choosing the best games to publish. Teh epic. Oh and on the subject of Zen Bound - this game is so ****ing awesome. Top 3 iphone games so far.

4. Chillingo

Chillingo Well-Known Member

Anyone who enjoys iDracula -- you might like to see this!

*BEHOLD* -- new video leak -- see what awaits you in iDRACULA pt 2 - http://tinyurl.com/dracvid2 - new levels, weapons, monsters, game modes!!!

5. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Awesome. Looking forward to it!

6. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It does look very interesting!
    What are those cards on the last screen?

7. spawn12345

spawn12345 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Choose which map and what game mode to play
    So 3 different maps and 4 game modes

8. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Chillingo is easily my favorite iPhone publisher but they have released their fair share of crappy games, too.

9. sygg

sygg Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I still prefer dev name instead publisher name.
    So right now, MoreGames is my fav. :D

10. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    For those who really want to know about the developers behind the Chillingo games, here's a start...

Totem, Traffic Jam 2, Earth Day - eSoft Interactive (iPhone ports done by Glyphic Entertainment, formerly PPC Studios)
    Orions, iDracula - MoreGames Entertainment
    Zen Table Tennis, Vegas Pool Sharks, Zero Hour, Tank Ace 1944, Par 72 Golf, Par 3 Golf 2 - RESETgame
    Nicky Boom, Krypton Egg - DotEmu
    The Quest - Redshift

These are the ones that I know without doing much research. Of course, it tells you on the actual information screen in iTunes for each game who the actual developer is.

11. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    my belief is they poach the best upcoming games/developers that are featured here on TouchArcade.
    And i'm not really joking either. :)

and, yes, some of their early games they published haven't been good.

arn

12. diablo99

diablo99 New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    how the heck am i supposed to find draconia the second time, i can't go through the portal where he was before

13. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    ...what?

14. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Huh?

15. mookie32155

mookie32155 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    true

16. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    ...the **** are you guys talking about? LOL

17. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    LOL looks like he is talking about the revival of draconian quest from dungeon and hero, published by chillingo, wrong thread nub! go here --> http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=3351&page=14

edit: i see he already found the place lol

18. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    That's great.

Now how about you get on the line with the devs of the first iDracula game and get them to implement a screen orientation toggle option.

Seriously.

Developers have to remember that the platform is BOTH the iPhone and iPod touch. And the devices have their headphone jacks placed differently, on opposite sides. iPhone has it sticking out of the top left hand side when in "portrait" mode, iPod touch out of the bottom right hand side.

So, when a game is meant to be played in landscape mode, and there is no option for screen flip, guess what?

The friggin' headphone jabs into the hand of the players, depending on which device they have. That is not fun, and it is not comfortable, and it is apparently such an easy thing to avoid (from what I've read, screen flip is basically a line or two of extra code, if that,...seriously).

iPhone and iPod touch.

Both.

Want to use landscape?

Then screen flip is a MUST.

I've deleted iDracula off of my iPod touch due to this issue. It simply is not comfortable to play with the headphones jabbing me in the hand. And before some "smart" guy says "well play it without headphones", the 1st gens don't have a speaker. And there are millions of 1st gen touch users out there. So, simple solution: screen flip.

Seriously. Every single game that uses landscape needs this option. And I say that not only for games like iDracula, that seem to have been tested only on iPhones, but other games that do the exact opposite and make it uncomfortable for iPhone users to use for the same issue (testing only on iPod touch) but a-okay for iTouch gamers.

Again, screen flip. It's a must.

19. psionic

psionic Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    While I agree that screen flipping is super useful for the device differences, you are mistaken in that it's 'a line or two of code'. I don't know where you got that idea but you're wrong. You have to take into account the minimal case of touch-detection (you need to invert the Y positioning), opengl tile mapping (again, inverting positioning), and also the cocoa touch ui elements.

This isn't a simple matter. It would be nice if it was, but it isn't. You can (if you are an iPhone developer) send a bug report with an 'enhancement' request to apple.

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    "A line or two" is admittedly an exaggeration. However, I could only base it off of what I have read on these forums regarding the issue, and this is what someone posted on the issue in the dev forum:

If that's not the case, well...it's the info that was provided. Not a line or two, no...but a helluva lot easier than actually developing a full game I gather. And even if it involves all you've stated, it's still a comparatively easy fix and something that, quite honestly, should be implemented from the get go as your applications should target ALL the devices in the platform if you wish to sell to the largest possible pool of potential consumers for said platform.

So it is all around easy?

No.

Is it easy compared to the alternative options, which include consumer indifference to future applications due to perceived developer indifference (and therefore a hit in future earnings because people will avoid your apps)?

Yeah...compared to that, it seems to be an easy decision at the very least, no? ;)