Chief Puzzle Officer - Real-Time Multiplayer Match-3 RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Tanshui, Sep 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elin

elin New Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Hi - I'd love to participate in your Beta. Thanks!

2. Tanshui

Tanshui Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Beta Test 1 Plans

Hi TA Community!

I want to cover our beta plans at a very high level. There's going to be quite a few things that's rough around the edges in Beta. Most specifically will be graphic and 'feel' type of stuff. Because of our re-design in combat since Alpha, a lot of the visual feedback is still being tweaked as we go. In particular, we will have to re-do all the multiplayer visual feedbacks because they've been moved from the Battle Board level to the North HUD level.

It's going to be a bit tricky to know what exactly your teammates are doing right now. But we're working on touching that up as soon as possible!

Other than battle-related stuff, the other game section polish will be mostly a final-two-weeks push type of thing. That said, the gameplay elements should be all there. So tomorrow when our Apple overlords approve our external build - go out there and have some fun matching! Don't forget to send some smiley face emotes out to teammates, especially if you see GM TANS :)

Here's a copy of Beta Test Phase 1 plans. It will also be in the News section in-game.

WELCOME TO BETA

Alpha Testers – welcome back!
    New Beta Testers – good to have you!

Chief Puzzle Officer’s Beta Testing will be in done in phases of content. Whenever we collect enough information/feedback in one phase we will immediately move to the next phase!

Certain features will be disabled in earlier phases to not interfere with focus of current phase.

Phase 1 Testing Focus:
    Prologue
    Tutorial
    PvE Battle (Specifically, Story Mode Quests)

Unfortunately, our in-game GM-Support system isn’t quite hooked up yet!

For now to report bugs or provide feedback you can visit our brand new Discord server:
    (see inside the game so we don't get in trouble with TA mods)

Thank you for helping beta test Chief Puzzle Officer!!!

3. lavitz

lavitz New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Can I also still apply? :)

4. FreakyShiki

FreakyShiki New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Also wants to know if I could apply for the beta

5. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Nooooo!!! The old 'one last change... this will just fix one little thing.... KABOOM' scenario strikes again.

There's an awfully weird bug that our dev team is trying to track down!! Once we squash that pesky bug we'll be doing another run against our test list and then submit.

Hoping for your email notifications to go out in about 6 hours. Thank you everyone for your patience we're working super hard to get this to you today! :)

6. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Bug Identified. Proceed to SQUASHING.

7. M1910G

M1910G New Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Can't wait for the email notification!
    Will we have it like right now?! #

8. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    No unfortunately not.... squashing is still happening as we speak. :) Plus the time it takes for testing after it's squashed and test flight approval... unfortunately I'd say the current estimate is at least 4 hours out.

we are really disappointed too... but doing our best!

9. M1910G

M1910G New Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Nah, we're not disapointed. Just hyped about trying it out before bedtime.

10. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Beep beep beep.... running through final testing checklist now.... beep beep :)

11. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Can't wait

12. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Beta is LIVE

aaaaaaaaand BETA IS LIVE

all TestFlight invites should have just gone out.

If you didn't get an invite, PM me with your iOS email address and we'll sort it out as fast as we can!!!

Happy testing!! Check the in-game news for the latest testing plans.

13. Para_Digm

Para_Digm Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Community Manager
    Canada
    TestFlight invite received, commencing play testing. :) time for business.

14. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Did we get the wrong build? I can't do anything.

There is the aforementioned problems with graphics and "feel" (in particular I have to hold a card motionless for around 5 seconds to get its info panel to come up).

After the tutorial I can't do anything. If I hit quests it just says loading quests forever. And there are no other gameplay modes that I can see at this time.

15. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Hmm the players in the discord channel seems to all be progressing pretty far in the Story (which is the main focus of what we're trying to test in Beta 1. Beta 2 will have the Guild PvP mode). Are you losing connectivity or home button'ing out by any chance? Resycning to server isn't in this build yet.

If you hit loading quests, try to close the app and start again.

Thanks for the feedback on longpress - it should just be a one second longpress but since tutorial is hand rigged more than likely we didn't do it properly there, will ask Dev to look into it.

Hopefully it's a connection issue. If not, will see what we can do to troubleshoot.

Thanks for your patience!

16. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Beta Day 1 Recap

A quick update/recap on Day 1!

168 Accounts Created
    442 Battles Played
    Server went down one time (*shakes fist at db maintenance*) [our fault we didn't have failover clusters for beta]

# of people that reported multiplayer joining issues: too many [we know what the issue is, will be fixed in first Beta content update]

Thanks to everyone that PM'd or joined our Discord server to provide feedback. To the silent testers - you are helping as well as we can tune a lot of things by just looking at our analytic. Thank you!!!

We also noticed an issue with a batch of invites simply didn't go out - if you didn't get your invite plz PM me and I will sort it out asap!!!

And if you didn't previously sign up for beta but want to get in on the next wave of invites, we'd love to have you!!!

Thanks everyone for putting up with a very rough-around-the-edges Beta 1, your feedback has already helped us make a number of design changes on our internal servers that we're very happy with.

TY!

17. Magicfingers

Magicfingers New Member

Nov 18, 2016
    I would be interested as well to be a beta tester.

18. Xanthos

Xanthos Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2009
    CPO is still very much in development right now. The game that I find myself playing is more an alpha then a beta. But being a regular beta tester, I know exactly that I'm in for. And that is help the developments improve the game.

I started this game late at night during launch when I was deprived of sleep. I quickly got through the tutorial, play a game or 2 and went to sleep. Now this is my biggest mistake because when I launched the game the next day, I had no idea what I'm doing.

I tried to look to restart the tutorial in no avail.

Anyhow, I just continued playing. Just doing the usual match 3 without really knowing what is going on.

You will get a hang of most games this way but not CPO. Maybe because it's still in development, animations are almost on existant. I have no idea if I'm being attacked or healed. Who I've attacked. Hell, I got caught by surprise again and again when the match ended.

Rough around the edges but I see huge potential in the multiplayer guild gameplay. If the developments continue down the right path, CPO could be a huge game on release. Or at the very least, for puzzle RPG fans like myself.

19. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Thank you so much for the feedback!! We've been hard at work pushing out Beta Content #2, target is later today. It includes a ton of usability improvements in the battle - but likely will still fall short on a lot of visual feedback - that's the UI team's biggest challenge right now.

I'll see if the dev team can add a temporary button in the home screen to replay Tutorial - a lot of players asked for that. The tutorial itself needs to be improved too, but at least having it available will help players that want a refresher on basics.

Thanks again to you and the entire community!!

20. Para_Digm

Para_Digm Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Community Manager
    Canada
    Hey Testers!
    Para_Digm here with a short update!
    CPO has recently brought me on as their community manager to help off load some duties from the team so they can focus on development with the ever approaching launch! Feel free to PM me or continue posting in this thread with any questions or comments during testing or if you are new and would like to join our beta. Please feel free to join our Discord server so players like you guys can chat between each other as well as have the developers pop in to give some teasers of new content.

Dont forget you can follow us on Twitter
    or
    Check out our page on Facebook

Sounds like we will be getting an update to the Beta build very soon that will come with a new North HUD that will allow players so see what enemies or allies are on which board. Here is what the Art teams latest version looks like.

[​IMG]

From myself and the team thank you guys for helping as testers whether your bringing bugs or ideas or just playing on your off time, it all helps! Cant wait to see all of you around!
    Para_Digm