Universal Chief Puzzle Officer (by Duofun Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wondroushippo, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Tanshui

Tanshui Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Unfortunately until Apple approves our build the client side display won't be right - it's showing placeholder rewards we put in 2 weeks ago when the current build you see was made..... just really didn't expect the apple approval cycles to be this long. Woke up this morning and checked iTunes Connect again and still "waiting for review"

It should all be correct server side. [players are testing that now]

We are in the process of moving more and more stuff into asset bundles so they can be updated whenever we want and not via Apple Approval. Lesson learned :(

2. rune42

rune42 Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Unfortunately I received 2 xp potions at 10k points today. So I don't think its updated on the server side yet

3. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    uggggh ok so sorry, having team take a look to see what's going on.

we just received a rejection from apple on our latest build. the bad news is of course it's rejected, so we'll have to submit again.

the good news is we're finally at the top of the line (you go back at top of the line for submitting after a reject, I seem to remember, or rather hope).

4. xBTAx

xBTAx Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    #84 xBTAx, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Playing this game made me feel physically ill. And I don't mean that to be mean or insulting- this game seems interesting but it literally made me feel nauseous. A few minutes of every few attempts to make a move triggering some random zooming out to a different board out of nowhere, with no clear audio feedback around it, made me feel like I'm about to vomit. Which is really not something I ever expected out of a puzzle game.

And... to be frank I don't understand why I'm swapping boards to begin with. Sure, multiplayer, whatever, but it kills any attempt to actually make strategic moves since whenever the barf fairy decides it's time to change things up, it's all lost. It's a really confusing decision.

5. rslowe

rslowe Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    I admit that I too had a hard time understanding the "1 to 2 moves max on a board before switching" choice. (I still find 1 move for PvP a little excruciating, mostly because lag times can make you get stuck on a board watching other people steal the moves you want to make!) But I'm coming to appreciate that there is a different strategy to this game.

In a PvP game, if you can't get a key in one move, you might want to go for damage instead; if your move ends with an easy pickup for someone else, the other team might get it. If you don't see any good moves on the board, choose a quick move to jump to the next board (or wait patiently for more keys to spawn). It makes PvP games much more hectic, which can be fun -- and sometimes frustrating.

Today I learned one important thing: your battle tokens only spawn when you switch boards, so if you see a turbo mode coming up and your token gauge is full, you might want to pick a couple moves to get off that board to spawn them on the NEW board for the double damage during turbo mode. One of my new strategies to learn now is how to best align turbo mode with my high-damage token spawns.

To everyone thinking of playing the game, consider joining TouchArcadia! Over the weekend, I might kick some inactive players (under lv. 7) to make room for more people; if you are higher than that and/or I've seen you playing in the battlezones, no worries.

6. cymsdale

cymsdale Member

Nov 2, 2013
    It's very frustrating to stare at a loading screen while I hear a game going on.

7. Para_Digm

Para_Digm Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Community Manager
    Canada
    You are exactly right, And thanks for the great post. We as a studio have always said no matter what game we are working on its going to be different. One board match after match no movement no change has been done. Sometimes well sometimes not so much. We wanted to spice it up adding a whole new level of strategy that you nailed. We are trying to appeal to a mid-core user base who will take some time to ponder that strat and understand that there is some depth.

We agree, We apologize and are doing everything we can to remedy these bugs. There was some major bugs that we found right after the latest update. Our dev team made the fixes within 24 hours but are tied to getting approval from apple. Until that happens we ask everyone to stick with us a bit longer. In addition we have been granting free gems for players troubles.

Everyone I have to stop and say Thanks one more time for all the patients and understanding. This is our first go and we are bound and committed to our players first. Any feedback is appreciated.

We have a couple super active megacorps looking for players if you still need a home.

Cheers

8. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Finally

After 5.5 days our update has been approved.

Getting everything ready now to release - this should solve all multiplayer join issues that we currently know of.

Thank you everyone for your patience!!!

And if everything goes as planned, we'll be turning our marketing campaigns back on after the update to start bringing new players into the game.

9. rune42

rune42 Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Thanks for the update. Was wondering if there is away to give the proper 10k reward to those of us who atleady passed it. I still only have two ex cards and have been really working for a third.

10. pell

pell Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I've only played a couple matches, but already... DAMN! Making matches is so much smoother. It's already a huge improvement.

Also, I thought the Chief Robotics Officer was gunna be a 10k reward? It's showing as 15k for me.

11. rslowe

rslowe Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Yessssss! I'm pumped for this update.

Also =( at maybe not getting the extra EX card. A few players and I farmed the event up to 100k points last night. ooooops

12. pell

pell Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I think one of the devs posted something about sending an EX card to absolutely everyone.

(Although it would be nice if they made the rewards retroactive so you had two new EX cards to play with)

13. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    #93 Tanshui, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Thanks for the support

Quick update to answer some Q's

1) Server was just restarted, and will have to restart again because I goofed on the compensation rewards before Dr Daniels can be given out.

2) Everyone will get Dr Daniels, Chief Surgeon Officer, as a compensation gift. If you already have Dr Daniels, you'll get 15 plaques.

3) People that already cleared 10k event points and got the XP Potion x2 reward will get sent Clark, Chief Robotics Officer at a later date. We know who all the players are (run a query for who has 10k points before update went out). It's just something we're not going to get to today. The ability to send out specific stuff to specific players is still being tested, we want to QA it a bit, which we can now that the multiplayer issue is fixed.

4) Simultaneous swap statements, which caused some of the previous "bounce back" of valid swaps, received first round of optimization. It should be much better now, but of course we will still look for ways to still make it better.

5) iOS IAP still doesn't work, but might be possibly fixable with a server side hotfix. We are still looking into that, but at least for now the game should be more enjoyable.

6) Robotics Officer should be a 10k reward. I know it looks kind of like 15k... but if you look harder it's 10k. It's a bad UI design on our part to cause that confusion, but it's 10k yeah :O

Thank you for your patience - sorry it took SO DAMN LONG for this to get approved!!!

14. pell

pell Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Lemme know if you want to use my account to test. Lol.

15. pell

pell Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Looks like the double points issue is more than just a display thing.

I noticed I had close to 11k points in the event which was way too much. I force quit the app and reloaded. It then showed the correct amount:

[​IMG]

But when I went into my cards, I had the Chief Robotics Officer:

[​IMG]

When the doubling of points occurs, its not just a display error. Its just that the rewards are automatically applied instead of going to your inbox. It's happened with gold too, but I dont have screenshots.

16. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    psst - that looks like the Chief Surgeon Officer (that everyone got) and not the Chief Robotics Officer (10k Event 4 Points Reward)

17. pell

pell Member

Jun 12, 2011
    LOL... And this is when I feel stupid.

18. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Design Feedback

Well - we have gone through about 12 hours since our update went out - and nothing catastrophic has been reported yet. PHEW.

[yeah, iOS IAP is still not working, we workin' on it, /sniff]

But we're finally at where we wanted to be 8 days ago which is to be able to start tweaking parts of the game balance based on live data and player feedback. Of course our team will continue to optimize and improve the UI/UX, create new card abilities and such, but I want to throw some balance topics that we're considering here.

If you could just let us know whether you like/dislike/don't care, and if you want to provide any reasoning that's also great too =)

1) Boosting PvP cards to level 30

This will make more games at the lower levels competitive. There will still be a decent-sized gap between players with 6 cards vs 9, but it won't be as much of a landslide as it is right now. It is not going to make a level 5 player be able to stand up to a certain guy from a certain law firm, but that problem probably gets solved as more players reach level 30+ cards or with more of a population such that newbies are protected from the terror of the super high levels.

2) Implement a per-day Guild Battle limit of 5 games per player

This was always the original design intention - just didn't get implemented. Specifically, this limitation is designed for just "New Parties". The idea is that you shouldn't have to try to make both MegaCorp War windows - just one is enough. If you really did want to make both windows then play the Scheduled Rival Battles. In the planned design, those don't count towards your 5 chances. But open to thoughts on that too.

3) Increase PvE NPC Ally HP. Increase monster damage proportionally. Human Players unchanged.

The result of this will make it so that difficulty with 1 Human + 3 AI is unchanged, but multiple humans do not make most encounters into a cake walk. Right now the difference between human vs AI is too large, and it's weird to go from 1 Human "I have no shot" to 2 Humans "the monster has no shot".

4) Changing Group Finder to be more of a list view.

Then, all current battles that have an opening will be listed in reverse difficulty ranking (hardest on top, including Event Battles). The current way group finder and just PvE questing works is that you don't really know if a party is there until you jump in. Listing out all the available battles lets you know where you can go. And for the true thrill seeker (re: lazy) - we'll still keep the current group finder capability as a "Quick Join" but probably just behind the scenes select all chapters.

Also thinking about making a battle only eligible for you to join in the first minute. This is not a perfect solution, but will prevent joining right when winning/losing. Most players don't care if you join and win right away, but with the Extra Loot Tickets now - I think players will care if they join and instant-lose.

[there are other balance stuff we're considering - but those are pretty clear cut based on the data/game direction we want to go in)

19. BobLobla

BobLobla Member

Feb 25, 2017
    #99 BobLobla, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    I like the idea, but then the information on that has to be super clear. The biggest weakness this game has atm (imo), is the lack of information throughout basically the entire game. For instance, I added today to my newbie guide that corps earn points in won pvp battles depending on how many human players was in the battle. Which means, you get triple the points if you win with 3 players instead of 1+2AI. To me personally, this is a very unconventional way of handing out points for guild wins. I always assumed a win was a win, regardless of who played in it, so I never even thought of that possibility.

Now if level 5s jump into PvP and do roughly 300-400% more damage than they "should", and then go back to PvE and do no damage, I imagine it can become very frustrating. "But I just did a ton of damage, and now I can't even do this...?"

I like this idea, especially if the windows will stay as set times. The 2nd window is at 1-3 A.M (depending on Time Zone) for european players, so very few of us can make that window. :)

Oh, and the first window is during work hours in NA, so obviously it's hard to join the first window for NA. I wasn't trying to hint that it was unfair, but I got that feeling when I re-read my post. :D

I've always disliked scaling difficulty based on "meta conditions". I'd rather you up the difficulty across the board when all maps get populated by more players. I shouldn't be able to solo the 100k event map with a 110k deck. I should get absolutely crushed in there.

At least make the higher levels of Event maps much harder. When we get to that point, we kind of expect things to be damn near impossible. :D

Great idea!

Can't tickets get consumed upon wins, instead of upon map start...? Maybe you want the risk of wasting a ticket, but it feels like an unnecessary element of frustration.

And as always, I'm critical on some parts of the game because I love it, not because I dislike it. ;)

20. BobLobla

BobLobla Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Oh, and by the way, I don't think I've mentioned this here but I've tried my best to put together a Newbie Guide on Reddit which you can find here. I know the formatting is really poor, I'll try to improve that part one day. :)

I've also put together a guide on how cards level up, and how you can judge cards based on their level 1 stats, which you can find here. Please ignore the typo in the subject of that guide......