Universal Chief Puzzle Officer (by Duofun Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by wondroushippo, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Waiting on the update
    This is a very good match 3 and thanks for keeping us up to date
    You rock

2. Rislyn

Rislyn New Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Great game!

Hi guys! Thanks so much for making such an awesome game! Especially an anime without crazy waifu and more diversity than I've seen in most anime titles. :)

I had a question about executive cards - I don't quite understand how they work with gameplay. Would someone be willing to walk me through it?

Thank you!:)

3. Para_Digm

Para_Digm Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Community Manager
    Canada
    #43 Para_Digm, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Thank you!!!

First of all thanks!
    Second what part about the executive cards is getting you caught up? Just so we know if we need to clarify in the tutorial down the road. :) In battle your executives show on the bottom of the board. You can use them whenever. (with the stipulation of one time a match in the new update) When they have built up enough mana by matching their corresponding colors they will play one of the staff cards that you have put under them in your deck. When it is your turn to make a move tap on the executive and they will unleash their ability. You can find out what their specific ability is in the card section.
    [​IMG]
    Executives have many different moves so later in game you will want to use this to strategize in your deck.
    Hope that helps!

4. Para_Digm

Nov 11, 2016
    Community Manager
    Canada
    Update: We finally got approval from Apple! New update has been pushed on both iOS and Android, just waiting for it to show up in the storefronts!

5. pell

pell Member

Jun 12, 2011
    There are some things that don't have any explanation in the game:

1) What are medals used for?

2) Once you have an XP potion, how do you use it?

3) What are plaques for?

4) What do duplicates do when drawn? It seems like they just disappear with no value to the player.

5) Are executives mixed in with the other cards when spending diamonds? If so, there is a very painful paywall right in the beginning of the game.

While the gameplay is unique for the match-3 genre, it's going to cost a lot of money right away for any variation or decent progress.

Join just about any mega-corp and they're just littered with dead accounts which I can only assume is due to running right into the paywall.

6. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Update yes! Now to go play it.

7. Tanshui

Tanshui Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015

Hi Pell - thank you so much for your feedback!!! It's very helpful for us to see different perspectives.

1) Medals are used as alternative currencies to level up cards for level 20, 30, 40, and 50. The idea behind Medals was you can't simply buy 5M gold and max all your cards to level 60. Medals are obtained predominately from playing Events but can be obtained from Dailies/Guild Member Shop.

2) XP Potions are used by pushing the little + sign next to your XP bar on the home screen. We'll figure out a better way to display this in the future, thanks for pointing out that it's hard to understand :/

3) Plaques are used to promote your Staff cards (unlocks passive bonuses). The system is not in the game yet, but we wanted to start tracking plaques you earn from duplicates so that players won't feel like they got cheated out of plaques by the time we do roll the system out in a few weeks.

4) Duplicates give Plaques

5) Executives is part of the Gacha yeah - but Executives are also part of the rotation on Guild Member Shop (bought with Salary, which you earn by just playing the game) and Event drops. Your MegaCorp can also purchase Executives with Guild Funds (which is earned by members playing the game) - and when they do, everyone in your guild can use it. This is probably not designed very well for Week 1 out of the gate because we see that MegaCorps are spending their funds all on furniture instead of buying cards for everyone to use. Have to think a bit about how to resolve that.

I think a lot of dead accounts in MegaCorp is due to:

1) the nature of day 1 retention in freemium games. 4 out of 10 players who download logging on again in Day 2 is considered 'good' for a freemium.

2) on top of that, we had an especially rocky start to soft launch (and then to launch), so I would say bare with us for a bit and MegaCorps should start shaking out. We already see 3-4 actively populated MegaCorps now.

On paywall - as one of the designers I don't feel like we intentionally designed any paywalls. So it's a matter of collecting feedback and see what we can do to smooth out curves.

For example, looking at Deck Score (which is a representation of power in our game) - amount spent by the Top 20 players in the game currently comes down to less than $1-2 per player (i.e., some bought the $3 welcome pack, some are pure F2P). I feel like that matches our philosophy that we heavily reward playing over spending.

We designed this to be for the long haul - that if people enjoy the kind of game and content we put out - then after months of play they may be more willing to support us / treat themselves to a few more Gacha pulls when new cards comes out or whatever.

Open to any thoughts or suggestions from you or the community!

8. Rislyn

Rislyn New Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Thank you so much for clarifying - I was kind of ignoring that part of the board, but now I'm not. Those cards pack a punch! Do you have any advice on deck building? This game is really different from classic CCGs - how should I set up my deck?? Can I have more than one deck if I'm experimenting?

9. rune42

rune42 Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Who is the guild leader of the Touch Arcade 1 clan? If they are no longer active, can they pass leadership? We need to upgrade our stuff and can't.

10. JaySam032

JaySam032 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2015
    I've tried both guilds now and it seems like both are inactive.

11. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    We will put in something that auto punts leadership after X inactive days but unfortunately it won't be within the next two builds. In that same update we will also basically make sure a guild can not be destroyed if the leader decides to just leave (and have it pass to one of the officers).

Unfortunately if both leaders are inactive my recommendation is for an active player here to re-make a TA guild, immediately promote a couple officers, and that way you're safe for a while.

BTW, there are two known issues right now:

1) Multiplayer join bug (results in loading screen or graphics glitch) - this is a client side issue and has been fixed, however requires an updated build which we are working to submit to Apple tonight. For most players, this will be a rare occurrence. For some, it will be more frequent. Sorry :(

2) Game unresponsiveness for when there are 3-6 players in the same game (3 ok, 4 bad, 5-6 essentially unplayable). This is a server side issue that we have a fix for and just doing final QA right now. Because it's server side, we can hotfix without a new client build. But yeah, still going through QA.

Thank you for your continued patience and support - we are working as fast as we can to get the game past launch instability.

12. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Literally, first thing to do when I got home from Vaca was to tell you what an interesting game this is.

1) Games still freeze mid game after the patch (today's).
    2) The explanation of WTF is happening needs to be MORE explicit. Like telling you you have X number of moves til you change boards.
    3) That 2-4? teacher fight is ridic. The next person you fight after that is 1/10th the health. Was that on purpose?
    4) No real explanation as to what I should be looking at whether it's another E or 5* or what the hell anyone does. Not good if you want me to buy stuff I need to KNOW what I'm looking for.

13. Para_Digm

Nov 11, 2016
    Community Manager
    Canada
    #53 Para_Digm, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Haha well welcome back. Funny thing first thing I went to do when I sat down and opened up TA was tell you thankful we are for having players like yourself coming in with input and questions!

1) Okay so there is some related bugs with a join game error in multiplayer that is fixed in next version. While in a match if you see a player join, and immediately DC right after - this could could crash you too. it is a possibility is that today we had two hotfix's, both of those came with a reboot. Sadly at this point we don't have a way to broadcast that message out to everyone yet other than the chat channel (and we try to). If the crash was not because of either of these two if you can next time it happens let us know the rough time and we can look into server logs

2) I hear what you are saying and agree, the Moves Left counter on the left of the swap bar is kind of too small/hidden and we have been tossing this back and forth internally. In the next few updates we will be focus heavily on improving visual feedback like what your bringing up and what is going on. We had planned to be the focus this week, but then bugs happened ; (

3) This is definitely not the intended user experience. This happens to be where most of our players are getting hung up in game ATM. That shows us it is a bit over powered. Our lead combat designer mentioned that Proctor came out more powerful then he realized. We have balancing fixes on our road map but it looks like we are about 2 weeks out yet.

4) I will be passing this info along to the design team to see if they can make some changes to better help players. I ask if you have any specific ideas we are an open door studio and take player feedback no holds bar. We agree at this stage there needs to be some more clarification but want to have a good plan in order to make a final execution.

Hope this helps out a bit

14. rslowe

rslowe Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2016
    Nice! I've been wishing that someone would make a match-3 with card battles built into it. The first two days were bumpy, but it looks like a lot of the snags are worked out.

Because the two Touch Arcade and TouchArcade teams look inactive, I'm going to create a MegaCorps team called TouchArcadia. Join if you'd like! I plan on being active for the next week at least to see if we can build up a defense against those darn Bob Loblaws and Mega Millions teams. (The Bob Loblaws players were 3v1ing me tonight in the board room battles, and it wasn't pretty... hahaha)

Post under here if you'd like to be promoted, etc.

To the developers: What's the significance of putting a red card under the executive on the red column? The cards start to glow, but as far as I can tell, they don't receive a stat bonus. I'm curious if there's a payoff to running a bunch of one color in the same column, etc.

15. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Thanks for the kind words :) We hit more bumps than we had hoped for, but remain confident we'll be able to keep improving this game to be worthy of being people's daily entertainment. :)

When you put a staff card of the same color as the lane, there is a 10% stat bonus to that card. Unfortunately it's a bit trickier than it seems to display that in the Deck Score. Maybe it should glow and say "+10%". Hmm yeah that's not a bad idea. But yeah it's +10% to HP and Match Damage.

You can play tri-color/quad-color/rainbow to maximize the stat bonuses, or if you want to play mono or duo color you'll give up some raw stat boost in exchange for much better control in damage output. There are executives that are designed to enhance either playstyle.

On the subject of the cards/lanes. You probably noticed that you can only have 10 Staff Cards total, but you have 15 staff slots. When you accumulate 10 mana for a lane, a random staff card comes out. So for your first 3 executives, I suspect there's nothing better than stuffing 3 staff cards each lane. Stats are stats.

But when you unlock your 4th lane - you can now decide how you want to allocate. 3/3/3/1? The upside will be whenever you get 10 mana for the lane with 1 staff - it is guaranteed that card will come out. Maybe that's your strongest card. Maybe that's your big heal. Whatever it is - the higher level you get the more deck building flexibility you get.

And when you unlock your 5th executive slot - that's even more flexibility to play with.

During Beta there was a player who theorycrafted that a 9 card deck going 3/3/1/1/1 for maximum deterministic outcome of which cards comes out will beat out a 10 card deck.

I don't know. Does have some merit, we'll just have to find out when more players get to end game. :)

Appreciate your support and willingness to lead a Touch Arcade clan! I may sneak in there...

16. BobLobla

BobLobla Member

Feb 25, 2017
    #56 BobLobla, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Hi there! BobLobla from Bob Loblaws Law Blog here.

Just checking in to say it was in fact pretty on your side. Even though you were 1v3 you nearly beat us. We only survived thanks to our deck strengths. So everyone, join his corp! You'll be top of the rankings in no time.

That said, if the corp doesn't pan out for you, we're always looking for active players. Y'know, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em... ;)

Edit: For anyone stuck in story I can solo most content up until 4-6, so I'd be happy to help anyone past an annoying stage. If I'm not responding in the in-game chat, join CPOs Discord and yell at me to come help you out. Just bear in mind I'm european so I'm asleep during american prime time. :(

17. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Update Submitted

Hi All,

Just want to let you know that we submitted v1.1.02 (what internally we call v11) to AppStore a few hours ago. Hopefully we get a quick-ish approval cycle and then after this build is live and stable, we will start to ramp our launch marketing efforts - with v12 being the update that we target a more full blown launch campaign.

Quick 'n Dirty version of Upcoming Patch Notes for 1.1.02

Fixed a bug during multiplayer "join" - this was the cause of both the "loading screen but can hear battle music" and "graphics glitch" issues

Fixed a bug with iOS IAP - in theory you should be able to IAP after this build. My account shall be the first to test in the name of... science. :)

Fixed a bug where swap and board animations becomes increasingly less responsive the more human players there are in the game (already hotfix'd to server)

Fixed a bug where MegaCorp War ranking is kind of funky (will be hotfix'd during a slow time before end-of-week)

Set Event 4 "Stand Your Ground" to go live on February 28th. Notable drops are a 4* Mellie at 5000 event progression points, Chief Robotics Officer at 10000 event progression points, and 5* Rayne as event battles loot drop

Added in various Battle Animations/UI improvements. Notably turning your swap bar full and red whenever you can not move

Added display for number of Plaques in your Card Library

New Gacha Animation

Various spelling mistakes corrected

The goal after v11 is to first and foremost continue to resolve any bugs that comes as a result of scale. We will continue to bring on about 500-1000 new downloads a day until we see the game in a more stable state.

And the hope is starting from v12 we're talking about more polish and content. Trust me, fixing bugs is not nearly as much fun as adding more content for you guys. As an example, Valentine's Event was initially designed to have an extra bonus chest or win condition that had to do with how many Hearts was matched. Our Events system gives us a good deal of flexibility to provide variety from the normal gameplay mode. But with how bad the launch bug situation was - priority was and is on getting towards stability.

Thanks as always for hanging in there - you early adopters are really what helps us stay pumped and working hard to deliver an entertainment experience that we feel justifies our leap of faith into indie dev.

18. JaySam032

JaySam032 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Just joined Toucharcadia. Any other active players from the other two guilds should jump over as well!

19. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    I advertised TouchArcadia in TA's Discord Servers for you!

20. Tanshui

May 8, 2015
    Just want to give a heads up that we had intended to start running 1-week duration events. But given how we launched and the emphasis we have on bug fixing and stability - "Stand Your Ground" is going to be another 2 week event. We may sprinkle something in the middle like a 3-day re-run of "Advanced Placement" (Event 1) or "Lunar Festival" (Event 2) if it looks like people are crushing the content.

Hope everyone got their Valentine Freya's already! 5000 event points should be very attainable.

She and Valentine Marcus will only be around for a few more days!