iPad Chess Pro from 99Games

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by 99Games, Mar 9, 2009.

1. 99Games

99Games Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    #1 99Games, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
    99Games has updated Chess Pro with the following features:

- Instead of just three difficulty levels (Easy, Medium and Hard), Chess pro now comes with a slider where the user can choose the difficulty level. This provides an option to select closer to around 20 difficulty levels

- Game strength has been increased

We are also working on more features for this game. I will notify you shortly about the features we have planned for the next update.

Have 5 Promo codes to share. Please PM me if you would like to try out Chess Pro. Please let us know your feedback and suggestions on the game.

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #2 Donburns99, Mar 9, 2009
    I personally enjoy this game a lot, but it does have a few minor drawbacks.

The opening moves can seem predictable and somewhat robotic at times, it would be nice if it was less obvious.

The rotating board on multiplayer is nice for pass-and-play, but lousy if you want to keep the iDevice between two players, as you would a normal chess board. I also hope to see more multiplayer options in the future, such as over local Wi-Fi and over the Internet.

I left a review on iTunes not too long ago, it covers the rest:

3. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    PM sent. Looks fun :)

4. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I could use a good chess app. I just couldn't get into Chess with Friends.

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah, the trickiest part of coding chess games is the AI. Nothing beats playing against an actual person :rolleyes:

6. Ipodfan15

Ipodfan15 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
  7. Donburns99

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    I agree, it must be a nightmare to make the AI seem human-like. Offline play is a must for some people though, especially touch users who don't have the network and rely on Wi-Fi.

8. Donburns99

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    15 out of 17 of your posts are in promo code giveaway threads; congratulations.

9. 99Games

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    #9 99Games, Mar 9, 2009
    5 Promo Codes taken

I have shared 5 Promo codes for the first 5 people who have sent me a PM. Your feedback would help us decide on the features for our next update.

10. 99Games

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India

Hi Donburns

Thanks for your detailed feedback. We are working on the next set of updates for Chess Pro. I will keep everyone posted here as to what our next updates will contain.

11. 99Games

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    4 Codes of Chess Pro available

I have 4 Promo Codes of Chess Pro available. Chess fans out there, if you would like to try out Chess Pro and provide me with your valuable feedback, PM me.

12. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    This is the best Chess game imo. I've only played the free ones out there, but this is the best (though paid) that I have played.

The only thing I could recommend is the addition of a challenge or scenario mode to prolong gameplay. Maybe even a small tutorial for those that don't know how to play, but want to learn.

Scenario mode: You take the seat of a professional chess player in a large tournament in a historical game. You have to beat the opponent. Varying difficulties and awards for completing a number of them (such as new themes)

Challenge mode: The board is set up with a few pieces for each opponent. You must figure out how to find the check. Sort of like a puzzle mode in a way, maybe in this mode, some squares can be inaccessible. This would make for a greater deal of strategy.

Oh, and a smoked glass piece theme on a black n white board :)

13. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Chess Pro was Fun for me and I am not even a chess player! I really like the 3d graphics and a choice to go 2d. I like the interface, the options menu has good choices, you have choices of a board including metallic and wood. They give you hints so if you never played before, you can still play! :)

This is a really cool game that I wasn't sure I was going to be into but since it game from 99Games, I def wanted to give it a shot and I'm glad I did.

A pleasure!

14. 99Games

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    Thanks for your suggestion. We are working on the next set of updates where we will add more themes. It would contain many other major updates as well which we will announce shortly.

15. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    About to play some Chess Pro to take me into the night. I'll post some impressions and maybe a little review later on tomorrow.

Cheers!

16. 99Games

Jan 9, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    New Udupi, India
    We will be waiting for your review on Chess Pro

17. Seien

Seien Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    I recently grabbed Chess Pro and wanted to share some thoughts on it, as well as write up a little review in case anyone is on the fence.

I'm an avid chess newb with a special appreciation for computer pwnage. That being said, I thoroughly enjoy Chess Pro. Two things I really try to keep in mind when I review a game is both Independence (freedom from bias) and professional skepticism. Simply meaning, I look for imperfections. I'm not sure if it is because this game has already been updated so much or because it just came out a thoroughly finished product, but I really couldn't find anything hugely wrong with this game. In fact, quite the contrary. Some things I especially liked with it that gave it that sense of quality were the customizable chessboards (and pieces) and the slide difficulty settings. As already stated, I'm not the best of chess players. However, I really was able to find a good level of difficulty that was challenging and yet was doable. I know people have said this already, but if you are a chess fan, you really don't want to miss picking this one up. All in all, this game really surprised me with its level of polish and fun.

I only had a few minor complaints. The first is, as already state, I would love to see a wifi multilayer option. Both myself and my roomate own iPhones and it would be alot more convenient if we could duke it out over the wifi network. Secondly, I would love to see a broad soundtrack option. Some classical music in the background would be nice :) Another cool addition would be the ability to fully design your own chessboard. This would involve a chessboard editor to let you select options from a myriad of choices regarding chess pieces, colors, graphics, logos, and more. Over all those were my only complaints/suggestions. I know the difficulty and predictability of this particular chess game has been an issue for some, but I'm such a chess n00b that I didn't really notice it :D

Here is a quick summary review broken down into categories:

Graphics - 4.0/5.0 - The graphics in this game (for a chess game) are really nice. The option to switch to 2D also seems to be a great mix-it-up addition. It would be nice to see even more board customization, but overall the graphics are enjoyable.

Sound - 3.5/5.0 - The sound effects in the game are okay, not rubbish but not spectacular. As already stated I think it would greatly add to the gameplay to have some light classical music playing in the background.

Playability - 5.0/5.0 - Playability, or rather learning curve, for Chess Pro is great. Assuming you already know how to play chess you are good to go on this part. The controls won't hold you back in the least. In fact, if you don't know how to play you can watch a chess demo (computer vs computer, something I found incredibly cool.

Funfactor - 4.5/5.0 - For chess fans, this is a no brainer. It will keep you entertained for hours on end, especially if you are chess challenged like myself!

Replayability - 4.5/5.0 - For me, this is possibly the most important aspect of a game. How often will I want to play this? So far this game has offered a very high amount of replayabilty. If you like to frequently play chess this won't disappoint. The only thing that could add a little more is perhaps letting you design your own board from preset options.

All in all this is a great chess game, so far my favorite on the platform. If your a chess fan don't hesitate to pick this one up. Can't wait to see more quality products like this from 99games!

18. gcl

gcl Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    more feedback

Disclaimer: I did receive a ChessPro promo code from 99games. I also have both Deep Green and Glaurung and have tried Chess with Friends v 1.0.

Here's my feedback:

Chess Pro is good solid chess app based on the sjeng engine which supports suicide and loser rules. Sjeng has a rating over 2300 ELO and that is pretty strong. I'm a casual user so I can't vouch for book openings and such but I was able to beat and be beaten at different settings.

The 3D themes are wood and metal but the pieces look the same with only a change from color to black and white. The board switches the grain from vertical (wood) to horizontal (metal)
    Suggestion: Maybe add a different theme like 'modern' or different pieces. I personally thought the themes were ok and preferred 2D (very nice) anyway.

The ability to save and load up to 5 games in progress is great along with variable AI difficulty slider in 5 second increments up to 2 1/2 minutes.

There is a hint button that shows a suggested move.

Suggestion: For UI, the response slider shows 5 sec at the fastest (lowest) setting, moving the slider toward strong still shows 5 seconds, so maybe set the lowest setting to say '1 sec' or < '5 sec' for the response time. Or instead of the progressive slider just have distinct markers for 5 sec, 10, 30, 1 min, 2.5 mins.

Suggestion: Add the ability to save a completed game so users can replay it, but then you would also have to add the ability to replay a game so that may not be worth the trouble to code.

Suggestion: displaying chess notation of moves would be helpful along with PGN support to email games.

It is important that chess programs are bug free particularly for casual users where we are relying on the AI to make correct moves.

I did not register any crash reports for bugs but I did have an issue with a knight on top of a castled king in the same position. It resolved itself on the next move. Let me know if you want the screenshot.

Chess apps are a crowded field. Chess Pro fits well because it is bug free and is backed by a good engine, but a few more features would help it jump over the 99 cent competition and justify its $3.99 price point.

19. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Played a few games last night, got beaten 3 times in a row rather quickly. To my own defense - it was really late and I was just experimenting with few of the features.

The polish that I've expected from the creators of WordsWorth (which I love) is there. Right off the bat it makes a great impression as the menu is clean and the game runs without any hiccups or crashes whatsoever. (I reboot after install of any app)

As far as gameplay goes, Chess Pro is very easy to get into. The custom difficulty setting that lets you adjust CPU's response time gives players who are new to chess a chance to experiment with different moves and strategies without making a crucial mistake right away. At the same time, pushing the slider over to the right side - provides enough difficulty for all you pros out there to sharpen your skills.

The chess pieces themselves were very easy to pick and maneuver around the board. The available places on the boards light up as you pick them up allowing you to easily see legal moves. You can turn this feature off by unchecking Legal Moves option in the menu. I think this is great and very helpful for players who want to learn chess and what each piece on the board does.

As far as sound goes, it is very minimal. You have a few sound effects in the menu and one same sound as you move your pieces around the board. I do think some sort of a Zen soundtrack would add depth to Chess Pro experience. If not music, maybe a variety of sound effects depending on which piece on the board you are currently controlling. Or add another effect when you manage to take down opponent's piece. Little things like that would be great.

Custom chess boards are also a nice touch. I would like to see more being added in the long run. This definitely adds replay value as each game feels different when you select another board, even though you are obviously playing the same game.

2 player mode is good, but unfortunately lack of wi-fi is hurting this very polished product to some extent. Also, I noticed when you play a 2-player game - the game rotates the board in order who's turn it is at the moment. I think it would be nice to have an option to keep the board from rotating. That way you can put your device on a table and sit across from each other as if you were playing with a real chess board. This would also allow to see your opponents moves a bit better.

Overall, this game is definitely a heavy-hitter in the chess world. I would have not accepted any less from the people that brought us WordsWorth.

Cheers

20. akame

akame Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    I tried the game. It is very professional done.

All I need now is a online leaderboard, online multiplayer, basic chess moves explaination like knights can only move in L shapes.

The rest of the current functions are well-done. Keep up the good work. :)