Universal Chesh (by Damian Sommer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Oct 7, 2015.

1. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Last question: are the graphics clean & bright? I know they're simple, but do they look good for what they are with bright good lines? Like Hack, or how clean Sage Solitaire is?

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #82 sapphire_neo, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

[thread=272660][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272686][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272663][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272645][​IMG][/thread] [thread=272664][​IMG][/thread]

Chesh

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

October 8th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

3. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Great article & brings some real light to the game. The dev should put his thinking in the App Store description, it really is a cool idea! Never having an advantage.....interesting!!!

Are the graphical clean & bright for what they are? Screens look a little fuzzy.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Crisp and clean pixels or me on my 6+.

The color scheme is mostly dark, but the playing pieces are plenty bright.

5. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    As I love Hack I can assure you that it's very similar. It looks and feels like a Michael Brough game. Presentation is spot on!

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Can't seem to access the mini-game or the secret variations that others have mentioned. I scrolled down the credits page until the screen went dark and came to a screen that read "Go on a tour." I assume that means
    holding the e in Chesh to get to the place where you can try out the various moves
    but I've yet to find the mini-game or circles. I'll keep playing around with it. Any tips/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

7. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    How can we get the word out about this game? I've tried many times in the past several days and have not once found a human opponent. :/

8. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    A TA review would be a lovely start. And a Game Center bug fix by Apple :)

9. JoshFTL

JoshFTL Member

Jul 6, 2015
    This game is great, I seriously don't understand it but messing around with local multiplayer is fun. How many secrets have people come across so far?

10. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Holy smokes I'm loving this game. Finally started to get the hang of it.

11. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Dev.....you should make a campaign mode with hundreds of levels/matches, and epic boss matches.
    With no recordings of wins/losses game gets old quick. Make a campaign mode

12. DamianSommer

DamianSommer New Member

Oct 18, 2015
    Game Developer
    Toronto, Ontario
    Hey all, Damian, dev for Chesh here.

Just wanted to stop by for a few reasons. I've been lurking the thread and seen some suggestions and am taking them to heart! I'm just putting together an update now, and wanted to know what your most-desired features are.

I'll let you know what's currently being implemented:
    -Fixing the bug with the AI getting stuck .
    -Adding a mode called "Anti-Chesh" that allows you to deselect pieces. This seems like a compromise for all the people who complained about not being able to deselect. I don't see it as one. It's essentially a completely different game with a radically changed strategy.
    -Flipping the pieces if playing 2-player. You'd think this would make things unreadable, but in practice it works fine and feels a tiny bit nicer.
    -Enlarging the smaller boards on iPhones.
    -If you use an iPhone upside-down as the 2nd player you may have noticed your clicks not being registered in the right place. This is due to iPhone screens expecting touches to be coming from a certain direction. I'm going to try and compensate for this, but I'm not sure if it's fixeable.
    -Some of you have figured out some things. Unfortunately the release build broke the order these things were supposed to be discovered. This is getting tweaked.

Also, if you haven't done so, please try playing against another person. The game was designed for two people, and a lot of the metagame just can't be replicated with AI. Unfortunately, the game isn't the most popular despite being largely well-received (not exactly surprising) so playing online only really works when challenging friends. Local play still works fine, so I'd really recommend that.

Thanks everyone!

13. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Ah I thought so...

I seriously love playing against others. Sadly, GameCenter is really lacking in features to help find an online game for games that use the realtime match feature but don't have a large playerbase. It feels like you're waiting for an eternity, then you find somebody, only to get disconnected one minute into the game.

When it works, it's brilliant. Trying to push the few people that I know that own iPhones to buy this so I have more people to play with :D

14. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    Damian,

For the iPhone mode, could you ensure that the board/piece aspect ratios are maintained, so that a square is ... a square? Admittedly a small thing, but something that almost kept me from picking up the game. Of course, I ended up being won over by the thought that you put into your game, as evidenced by your twitch videos (I haven't managed to catch them live yet). I was also impressed by the inventiveness of the sprites, and the collaboration you fostered with them.

Another request, although arguably anathema to the purpose of the game. Would you consider adding additional levels of AI please?

15. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Both of these would help a lot with local multiplayer.

Perhaps an option for 'cocktail vs upright' mode where P2's pieces are upside down for the cocktail table/iPads, and on upright/iPhone the board auto-flips to P1/P2's perspective on their turns so you don't have detection issues?

16. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    @Damian I have had some awesome online marathons! I think this aspect of the game is really well implemented and I think a lot of people really are playing!?

My biggest request would be win/loss leaderboards.

Thanks for "lurking" the thread and welcome to TA.

Richard

17. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Welcome, Damian! Resisting urge to drop a reference to The Omen. I haven't really thought this out, but could asynchronous multiplayer work for the Anti-Chesh mode? Though I'm not sure if a game can have both realtime and async modes on Game Center.
    Thanks for the brilliant game. Looking forward to the update and unlocking some of the secrets, which I can't seem to currently. Keep up the chesh work!

18. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Really digging the idea of asynchronous multiplayer. Kind of how Worms 3 was implemented for the ios platform.

19. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Friendly Friday thread bump up. Still looking forward to the update and wishing there were more potential opponents to play on Game Center. Chesh!!

20. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Thread resurrection! Seeing the coverage for Moveless Chess reminded me of this game. I really wanted to get into Chesh and have some multiplayer matches, but the game seemed to sort of fall by the wayside. I know there were plans for an update at some point but I assume it's been put on hold and/or abandoned.

It's too bad this game didn't find a wider audience and become more popular. All kinds of crazy potential, especially with multiplayer. Playing against the computer just isn't as compelling.