Universal Chesh (by Damian Sommer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Oct 7, 2015.

1. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Although I cannot play any online game due to the Game Center bug, I loooove this game so much. Even against the AI it's so much fun! Short intense matches. Can't wait for the online mode to work for me. Dear Apple, please hurry!

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    It does indeed work, I've had two online games thus far (lost both ;) ) you've just gotta be patient. Hopefully the pool of players continues to increase.

3. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Agreed...Hey, we agree on a game :D

4. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Kind of wish it had a classic mode where you play chess but just have random pieces with different movement where you can see all the patterns and just strategize from that.

5. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Wow, won two in a row online, feeling cocky...then, someone named naturalnova handed me my ass in a basket 7 in a row :D

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I just had to quit a game because the AI got stuck. It just sat there popping up various emoticons, highlighting pieces. After 5 minutes I exited out of the game.

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Some might like it....but I just watched the appstore trailer movie for this, and that has to be one of the worst and annoying that I've seen. I nearly developed a headache and went into a seizure just in those 30 seconds. Starts off with a blurred background of the board and you think "great it's going to show me how this game plays, very helpful". But no, it zooms in to all of about 5 tiles worth where it's nice a grainy and you feel as if you should maybe watch this game trailer from across the room.

Does not sell the game for me at all. Time for a panadol.

8. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Oh wow that's bad, I hope you're okay...

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Taking Valium and recovering.

10. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Have you looked at some other footage of the game? Was it just the camera movements of the trailer or is it the game in general?

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Just the trailer.
    It's fine, I'm obviously exaggerating quite a bit. Not a big deal at all. There's some serious zoom going on is all

12. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    That's good to hear.

Have you tried the game, then? It's quite good and it'd be sad if we missed out on a good opponent because of this, but obviously I'd understand if you don't really feel like trying the game :/

13. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I've had a few like that, mainly on easy. If u wait it out, u will get the victory. Don't rlly understand this because the ai had a multitude of options.

14. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Rlly need the ability to uncommit from a touched piece after seeing its move options.

15. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    It's a known bug getting fixed with the next update, dev told me on Twitter. I had the same, enemy running through all options, would have killed its own in each move, so it didn't do anything.

16. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    #76 ShinHadoukin, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    I really want to try this game out but I'm on the fence. You guys seem to like it. Is there a place to see what the dev thinks about community response? I know I haven't played it, but not being able to change a piece after you tap one, making you stuck once you touch a piece seems crazy. Also, all pieces are random regardless of what they look like? Or is an piece the same once you recognize what it looks like? Somebody give me on last convincing word & im in :)

17. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The moves are randomized each game, but within that game all pieces that look the same will move the same.

This means that a large part of the game is discovering (and remembering!) how each piece of yours moves, which is what makes the game interesting...

18. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    I highly doubt he will remove the "commitment" aspect of touching a piece. It's a core mechanic of the game, removing it would change the game a LOT.

19. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Which sounds awesome, but if piece types do not carry over then you have no idea what any piece does within each game until you touch one. Well, that may not be a move you would do first. The 1st move of each piece would be a gamble. In chess once you touch a piece it's your move, but you know the pieces. Again I haven't played yet so I'm curious how that plays out.

20. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    Here's another excerpt from a concise article that helped me understand what the game is all about:

"This, in a weird way, takes the Connect Four disadvantage and turns it into the mini-putt advantage. There is a benefit to watching the first player make a move to understand how this strange new piece functions, where the neon little ball ends off the first stroke. For the second player, then, they must decide to take advantage of this new information, or venture into unfamiliar territory themselves, discover how one of their other pieces functions." [What's up with the indent tag not working BTW?]

Basically, many games - particularly deterministic ones - afford a first-turn advantage. Chesh is an innovative attempt to address the issue. You can read the full article in the Atlantic (http://t.co/JDFIvynmf5).