Universal Chesh (by Damian Sommer)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Oct 7, 2015.

1. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    A tally of your wins and losses on the title screen would be cool.
    Unless that exists somewhere already and I misses it

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    A tally of your wins and losses on the title screen would be cool.
    Unless that exists somewhere already and I misses it

3. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    It took me a while to figure out that a specific pieces behaviour is different every round. I just kept restarting the game until I found piece that had a behaviour I remembered, only to find it did something completely different.

Maybe this was obvious to everyone at the start, but I certainly went in to this thinking there's 500 odd pieces, each with a permanently assigned behaviour. This is a lot better as your memory only needs to be limited to a round.

4. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    My biggest requests at this point is save states when the game is out of memory, and also the ability to turn off background animations. The animations tend to get a bit intrusive over extended periods. My other suggestions are on page 3.

5. t0dk0n

t0dk0n Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Hmm, I was able to find a match with online play last night when I first bought it. Lost the round, went to try again, and everytime after I can't find random matches anymore :(. I hope this game gains momentum. I love everything about it!

6. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    I'll start by saying that I don't own this game ATM, but I find it fascinating, despite not being too keen on playing online. Anyway, the dev's site points to a stream of him against the world (http://t.co/8vASirGzm9), and based on what he's saying, it seems like a piece's movement is fixed. So I went from being comforted by round-specific rules, back to the apparently common concern about having to memorize 500-odd rules. On the other hand, it seems like random movement per round would only really work if each round was long-ish.

7. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #47 zen_mode, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

Hmm that's odd. I wanted to be absolutely sure before I posted that. I actually verified it with multiple different pieces just to be sure. In one round in particular, I had a skull and bones piece, in the very next round I happened to get the same piece but it had completely different behaviour. The same thing happened with several other pieces as well, so I felt very confident posting that.

Now that I've thought about it, one thing I wasn't paying attention to was the *colour* of the piece, I guess it's possible that they do have fixed behaviour based on both the type and particular colour of a given piece. I'm going to go back and see if I can verify this as memorising 533 pieces as opposed to having round specific rules makes it a much different, and blander, game IMO.

Edit - Then again, the opposing team will always have a different colour with the same pieces, so this wouldn't make much sense, unless it's determined on a first mover basis or something to that effect.

8. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    So how exactly do you play online multiplayer? It seems like you can play multi on the same device, easy, and standard ai.

9. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    You can hold the 'e' of chesh which takes you to a
    place where you can experiment with all the 150 (i think) different piece movements available. I'm not sure if you can use all of them in the actual game, but there's one of them where you can literally jump anywhere on the board.

Also, there's a little pointless mini-game thing you can access from the main screen but you should find that out by yourself ;)

The last secret achievement, I don't know

10. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Thanks for this. After playing around with it, I think it proves my claim above that any piece *and* colour combination can have any behaviour. This is demonstrated by toggling any selection (1-150) back and forth and having it generate a completely different piece for the same behaviour. It seems the poster I previously replied to had misunderstood what the dev meant by fixed attributes.

11. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    Yes, I was thrown by the dev referring to specific piece's attributes (e.g., "this coffee cup is very powerful"). I hadn't noticed that he only made those statements after the piece had been selected by him or his opponent. Had he not done so, the stream would have been fairly awkward.

Also, there's this from an article in the Atlantic (http://t.co/JDFIvynmf5) that the author "wrote from when [Chesh] went by different name": "[t]heir appearance isn’t the only curveball either, because even if you know what each piece should do from their position on the board, their functions are randomly lifted from a selection of various and weird move sets, which makes every play-session completely different".

Given how much time I've invested trying to understand the game without actually playing it, I'm probably obligated to pick it up when my iPad replacement arrives. That is, unless someone can tell me whether the aspect ratio can be adjusted on iPhones and iPod Touches?

12. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    #52 Vingdoloras, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    There's a hint hidden on
    the game's website, chesh.club
    . It also references the
    "ripples" minigame you mentioned
    , and some other interesting stuff.

I might not have figured out everything yet, here's my thoughts so far,
    sentence by sentence
    (there's a LOT of stuff in there so only read it if you're sure you want to know):
    ALL HAIL THE CHESH SNAKE: I either "skipped" this by triggering it without noticing, or I haven't found it yet.
    PAY HOMAGE TO THE CREATORS: I think this is a reference to the next one? Haven't found anything else in the credits screen...
    DARKNESS GUIDES THE WAY: I got to the dark screen and went "through" it, but it just put me back into the main menu? I didn't notice any difference...
    SAPTAVIMSHATIHI GOES ON TOUR: Google "Saptavimshatihi", that was pretty cool... But I kind of expected something to happen at the end after the sound played.
    A SPACE WHERE ONCE WAS NONE: This probably references the entry to the hidden minigame. Maybe this explains my doubt about the first few sentences and the space appeared after going to the darkness without me noticing? I found the empty space after doing the darkness thing, so it might be opened only afterwards.
    RIPPLES OPEN NEW DOORS: I can't figure out if this hints at any secret hidden inside the minigame screen, but I strongly feel like it does...

I'm still missing one hidden achievement, so I don't think I figured out everything in there...

EDIT:
    Okay, I figured out the last achievement, and also the meaning of
    the circles
    . Here's some more info:
    Activating some of the outside circles (instead of the middle one that was active at the start) will modify the game a bit (might only apply to local games), hence the "opening new doors". Some have a pretty obvious effect:
    -Make Pieces invisible
    -Don't show a piece's movement pattern even when it is selected (so you have to guess at first and then slowly learn the patterns)
    -Open a hole in the middle of the board where pieces can't go

The others either have no effect, or I didn't notice anything happening.

The circles are also connected to the final achievement! But I think I shouldn't spoil this yet :p

13. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Looks like I got the plague as well, so if anyone needs help getting it, just add me on GameCenter!

14. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Does this game run in a portrait orientation only? Or is there a landscape orientation as well? I'll probably get it either way as it looks really interesting, but would love to play portrait on my phone and landscape on my iPad.

15. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    It's only in portrait, it works out quite well.

On another note; we REALLY need a couple of leaderboards. Say, one for win/loss ratio vs. AI and one for online.. Just saying, 5 star game no matter!

16. Buttons

Buttons Member

Aug 22, 2010
    The bottom three effects are:

Left: The starting setup is no longer left-right symmetric. In particular, you might have two different royals. (But the opponent's setup is the same, rotated 180°.)
    Middle: Pieces absorb the abilities of whatever they capture in addition to their own. It even works when you capture your own piece. Definitely the most mind-blowing effect out of the six.
    Right: Victory condition is more like regular chess. Non-royal pieces don't matter, and you lose when a royal is captured.

This game is amazing.

17. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Ohhhh that explains a lot. I noticed that
    the moveset of pieces changed
    , but I could never really figure out how exactly it worked. Have you figured out the final achievement yet? ;)

18. glitchwall

glitchwall New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    #58 glitchwall, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Seconded. Would really love to see leaderboards too.

Has the online auto-match worked for anyone? I can’t seem to find an opponent.

Asynchronous online multiplayer would be nice. Kind of like Letterpress. Or is that already a feature?

19. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Think about that again - a non-live match would break the memory aspect of the game. You'd either forget everything, every time, or write down everything and lose a lot of the excitement. It's kind of a curse that comes with the all random + memorization design that makes the game what it is in the first place.

Finding an opponent takes a long time, because the online playerbase is probably pretty low. iOS9 GameCenter crashing for some doesn't help increase the active playerbase, either, but that's something Apple has to fix.

20. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    More leaderboards is a great idea!