Universal Chel-Z (by Joshua Hale)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DJEmergency, Feb 23, 2016.

1. iddqdsound

iddqdsound New Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Hey DJEmergency!

This game looks like it has a lot of potential love the old almost dukenukem 2 look to it. I will admit that I haven't gotten super far into the game but I just wanted to share what I found and humbly offer some suggestions.

- I noticed that some of the red platforms have a extra half of collision box on the bottom. It makes some of the plat forming a bit more difficult than it needs to be and I figured you didn't mean for those to be there

- I think the horizontal velocity curve for jumps feels a little counter intuitive. It feels as is the horizontal velocity is rolling off whenever I let off the d-pad. I think this might make some of the jumps a little harder to control and put the player in a lose lose situation with jumps. Think of how say megaman deals with horizontal movement during jumps.

+ love the straight to the point intro. Long intros bore me sometimes.

+ really dig the soundtrack. Did you make it?

What language is this programmed in?

2. DJEmergency

DJEmergency Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    USA
    #102 DJEmergency, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Hello iddqdsound,

Thank you for playing the game and I’m glad you enjoyed it so far. The more suggestions the better. :)

This is already setup with the IDE, but it’s a bug they need to fix for it to work properly.

This can be fixed, but I’ll have to mess around with megaman more to get the feel of those controls.

This was a goal of mine to make a simple intro telling a short story and then off to the game play.

I actually reworked two songs from Arcane Toaster to give it more of a modern feel, but the boss theme was created from scratch by me. The sound effects where also created by scratch from me.

You can listen to the soundtrack here: https://soundcloud.com/djemergency/sets/chel-z-soundtrack-ios-and

It was first created in Fusion 2.5 and was recoded at least 3-4 times. I met Guillaume Stutin through the community and we worked together to make this amazing level editor for players to share their creations to who ever they wish, but due to time constraints and the technical issues with the IDE we had to scrap the whole project and find something better to work with. So we switched to Stencyl as our main IDE. It took a bit of time to get used to the new software, but I managed to get it all going. Guillaume had more experience in Fusion so he pretty much stopped helping with the development and I was left to recode it all by myself.

If anybody has any more questions feel free to ask. :)

3. GUILTIE

GUILTIE Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Controller still does not work for me :(