Universal Chel-Z (by Joshua Hale)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DJEmergency, Feb 23, 2016.

1. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Did u do a hard power down and reboot? Usually after a new game install, this will allow the game to run.

2. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Subscribed to thread and watch listed the game. Looking forward to trying it once the updat rolls out!

3. laucube.ent

laucube.ent New Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Same problem here. 3rd time finally worked. ;)
    iPhone 5 running iOS 9.2.1

4. Tatanak

Tatanak Active Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Great but short game. Finished without problems on iPad mini 4, 9.2.

5. DJEmergency

DJEmergency Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    USA
    Just an update guys.. The next update is on it's way! It should work on iOS 7 and up (including the black screen fix)

I will release a new version later that will allow you to manipulate the controls to your liking. Stay tuned. :)

6. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Best news all day!!! Hope it's soon. I'm itching to throw ya my $$$.

7. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Hmmm... Not bad.

The core of this game is solid. The issue with the on-screen D pad that I found was that the active zones for the buttons are very spaced out, even on iPhone. Now, this could be a good thing for some folks: fat-fingered people don't have to fiddle with tiny controls (a big deal with precision platformers), and there's very little accidental button pressing via sliding fingers. However, the dead zone between the buttons is very big as a result of those decisions, and if you're not used to it, it can take some adjustment to get the feel down. If this was a speed running game or had sections where you needed to move quickly AND had to precision-platform AT THE SAME TIME, then the controls would have been a deal-breaker. However, the game is thankfully designed to reward patience and carefully timed jumps, meaning there should be no panicking-which-leads-to-slipped-thumbs-and-RAEG.

Also, make the active zones for the D pad buttons circular or oval, because that's the actual shape of the thumbs and fingers as they tap on the screen. Keep the current NES D pad graphic, just adjust the active zone. That makes the buttons less likely to be un-pressed at a bad moment, because that's what "feels more natural" for touchscreen controls. This also means that the active zone for the D pad buttons spreads out past the graphic, but that's okay: gameplay "feel" is a lot more important than making sure everything "looks right". A thought to consider :)

As for the game itself, the controls are nice and tight (sometimes too tight: looking at you, waterfall section XD ) for touchscreen controls, and the game design trains you into being slow and methodical in your approach to each challenge.

The game also auto-saves in every room, but it auto-saves as whatever state your character was in when they entered the room. I find this system to be great design: people who play well will keep their health longer and have more chances to avoid death, but a slip-up or two means the next room will be that much harder. However, even if you mess up bad and only have one hit point left, because you auto-saved in that room, you have the opportunity to practice whatever encounter the room throws at you until you get good enough to pass through and (Hopefully!) get to a station and recharge your health. It's a great balance between challenge and accessibility that evokes the same feeling the Metroid games do (namely the feeling of exploring for an hour in new territory and feeling that massive sigh of relief when you finally find a save room).

However, the game is very short. I beat the game in about 45 mins to an hour. The sense of mastery over the game was strong which the Metroidvania types of games excel at delivering, and I was very disappointed when the ending came around, because what was there was nicely designed (even with its quirks coughwaterfallsectionwithtigerbelowandanuberprecisejumprequiredtofreakingbacktrackjustsoyoucankeepplayingcough).

I wanted to see what more the game could offer, because I had the feeling that the game could have been so much more. That's a good sign for a first effort, however. If you guys get to do more, then try to deliver on the promise this first game could have delivered, had there been more content in this first release.

I give this game 4 stars, because it could have delivered a heck of a lot more, had the time been taken to design more of the quality content on display.

P.S. What was up with the room with the impossible block sliding puzzle? I didn't need to solve it to complete the game, but it was weird that it seemed impossible to solve. Maybe there is more to the game than I thought....

8. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Great review - thanks for that. I'm going to keep this on my radar till the iOS 9.2 requirement drops.

9. DJEmergency

Dec 10, 2012
    USA
    Thank you for this awesome review! We plan to implement a way to modify the controls for people and some new features to expand the game more. As for the second switch it is a decoy and really does nothing, but to trick the player. I will keep everything you have said in mind for future updates. :)

10. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Update ETA?

11. Beth

Beth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 29, 2014
    Professional do-nothing'er
    Eastern usa

Thank you so much for making this playable on iOS7, I'm really looking forward to playing this great looking game:)

12. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm so happy there will be an update to change the control pad size. I simply can't play with it as big as it is anymore lol

Billy

13. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    #53 onyx77, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    No idea what to do in room with all the colored doors as options to go through. Don't have to use a certain order?

Figured it out. Solid game.

14. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Update or nah?

15. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Ya, update ETA? Soon? I wanna freakin play. iOS 9

16. DJEmergency

Dec 10, 2012
    USA
    Hello!

I just want to say a new update is now out! It should now work on devices with iOS 7/8/9 and if any of you had a black screen this should be fixed as well. An update for customizable controls are in the works so I'll let you know when that update is out. I thank you all for the feedback and the more the feedback the better I can make this game!

17. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    That was quick!! Thank you for listening to fan feedback! :)

18. DJEmergency

Dec 10, 2012
    USA
    You're welcome! The more the better. :)

19. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    GREAT!!! downloading now...

20. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

sorry pal, it works fine on iOS 7 but A & B buttons are missing... can't play it!