Chef Wars - Food Discovery RPG by Mindcake Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MindCakeGames, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MindCakeGames

MindCakeGames Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Indie Developers
    Singapore
    #1 MindCakeGames, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Hey guys!

Excited to be doing our virgin post as Mindcake Games!

About Chef Wars
    We're a 3-person indie doing a Food Discovery RPG! Players travel around the world to recruit chefs, source ingredients, and invent hundreds of real-life recipes. They can then use those recipes to win themed kitchen battles!

The battles are quite simple. Players pick the recipe they think best suits the competition themes, and get scored by the judges (think the old DOS Pizza Tycoon, or Suikoden's Cooking Battle mini-game). If you win, you get cash and fame! The game's depth shines in the prep-work required outside battles:
    • - You can travel to 500+ cities and towns around Europe and Asia. The map is fully and freely explorable - the pic below is literally Europe at 6% zoom! The point is to learn about difficult cultures and cuisines.
    • - Each location has markets with specialty ingredients, about 200+ worldwide. Then you can combine those ingredients to invent and upgrade over 900 recipes, each with their own attributes.
    • - There are 11 judges with unique personalities. Example, some judges really care about your dish's relevance to the theme. Some just care about having an upgraded/tasty recipe. And each judge has preferences too - like some like French dishes, or spicy food, etc.
    • - Each recruitable chef has unique traits which makes them good with certain dishes. There are storylines and missions for each chef as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our Inspiration
    We really love games like Civilization, Koei's Uncharted Waters New Horizons, and Carmen Sandiego! So we want to build mobile games which let players explore the world and learn about different cultures. With Chef Wars, it just happens to be about food!

Progress
    We're actually quite late into our development, and hoping to launch in the next 2 months (depending on bugs and optimization). We do welcome any feedback and support - things you think would be cool! We plan to update the game every month (new chefs, regions, recipes, missions) if there's some love for the game!

**Update**
    We're now in Open Beta on Android, and closed beta on iOS!
    If you'd like to play on Android, we've been featured on Google Early Access here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.mindcakegames.chefwars
    If you'd like to play on iOS via Testflight, send us a note at [email protected]!

You can also join our FB playtest group here:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/chefwars/

Or follow us on FB or Twitter:
    FB: http://www.facebook.com/mindcakegames/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/mindcakes

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    Cliff, Karlo and Lois from the Mindcake Team

2. Ch3st3r

Ch3st3r Active Member

Jun 14, 2017
    Germany
    That sounds really interesting and can't wait to Play it!

3. MindCakeGames

MindCakeGames Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Indie Developers
    Singapore
    Thanks thanks! Really appreciate that! :)

4. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I am down for this looks great!

5. Rodlaiz

Rodlaiz Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 9, 2016
    Paris
    Not really my kind of game but the art looks awesome! Good luck with the release!

6. MindCakeGames

MindCakeGames Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Indie Developers
    Singapore
    Thanks guys, totally appreciate it!
    Forgot to mention there are limited social features like friend and global rankings, and campers/tents of your friends appearing on the map for goodies!

We'd like to expand the game with more stuff too like PVP, city claiming / master chef, etc. if things go well!

7. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Looks amazing! What kind of F2P model will this follow?

8. MindCakeGames

MindCakeGames Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Indie Developers
    Singapore
    Hey @JackDerp,

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the long post ahead. We've thought about this a lot and feel it's an important point.

While it's F2P, we won't be building paywalls since the point of the game is world exploration. Things you can buy are mostly vanity and convenience features, like:
    - Slots to recruit more chefs and learn more recipes, if you want to hold more at a time.
    - Some special chefs and skins.
    - You can also pay gems to teleport to some cities you already visited, but you can also do that with cash (in-game currency), hoof it over the world map, or if a city has a boss you can teleport there for free.

You can actually finish the game without paying a cent - using the default number of slots and with chefs who are already available across the globe. There are also no ads.

We know we might be shooting ourselves in the foot monetization-wise since it's pretty generous. But we found that putting paywalls discourages discovery and exploration. Ex, we experimented with heart/gas systems but it was jarring and limiting for the type of experience we wanted to create.

9. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Thanks for the reply! Sounds like a more than fair model to me :D. I'm looking forward to the release!

10. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Game Taster
    Wisconsin
    Wow you are setting yourself up to become my most favorite game ever. When I read "Pizza Tycoon" I became excited but then you added "New Horizons"?!? It's almost like you knew my favorite games from the old days and tailored your post around me. Needless to say I am excited!

11. MindCakeGames

MindCakeGames Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Indie Developers
    Singapore
    Gosh, thanks so much @Slate! Hope we're not setting ourselves up for ultra-lofty expectations haha!

We took inspiration from Pizza Tycoon and Suikoden's judging/scoring sequence. But ours is a bit more in-depth - each judge has their own algorithm based on their personality. We don't have Pizza Tycoon's freeform create your own pizza though! We'd really love that maybe in a future update - but since we're covering all kinds of food and not just pizzas, it's gonna be a doozy! We also don't have "management" elements like running your own biz - we're sticking with the explore-battle-invent/train cycle!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, New Horizons is my all-time favorite game growing up as a kid! And that's where we took our world exploration mechanic. You can literally travel anywhere in Europe and Asia! I locked myself up in my room for like 2 weeks to create the world map tile by tile and make it accurate vs. the real world! :p

12. Slate

Slate Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Game Taster
    Wisconsin
    "Gosh, thanks so much @Slate! Hope we're not setting ourselves up for ultra-lofty expectations haha!"

Too late...expectations are high. That's not a bad thing. I am sure what you are creating will be great and I am excited to try it when I get the chance.

13. momoking

momoking Active Member

Jul 17, 2017
    I just love food/cooking game. The graphics also seems so nice that i want to have a taste of these food.
    I'll keep watching. Looking forward to the release.:D

14. MindCakeGames

MindCakeGames Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Indie Developers
    Singapore
    Thanks! Appreciate the support!

Haha it's been so hard to eat reasonably while making the game! I always get cravings depending on which country I'm researching - Japanese, Italian, French, Thai... agh!

We'll know the game is successful if theres a worldwide spike of food cravings!!!

15. AccidentalRebel

AccidentalRebel Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Good day, everyone!

I'm Karlo and I am the programmer for this game ChefWars. Just want to extend my thanks to the people who have left a comment on this thread.

We are nearing release and we are hard at work with optimizations and fixing bugs. When I get the time I plan on making sneak peek videos of the gameplay and different parts of the game. I might even talk about some technical stuff if people want it.

Home stretch!

[​IMG]

16. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Damn I''m excited for this release! Looks awesome!

17. Applepen

Applepen Active Member

Jul 14, 2017
    I don't know whether I will feel hungry when I play this game.:p

18. MindCakeGames

MindCakeGames Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Indie Developers
    Singapore
    Haha thanks guys!

@Applepen - OMG, Karlo and I get hungry everyday building it. Like, I would get major cravings for the specific geography I'm working on that day - Japanese, French, Russian, Chinese, etc!

Here's some ingredients you can find in Chef Wars to get you on your way! Maybe you can recognize many of them? :p

[​IMG]

19. marielee

marielee New Member

Jul 28, 2017
    So cute. I love all these food icons. Wondering how many countries they could cover. Hope I can see some Korean foods in the game!!

20. MindCakeGames

MindCakeGames Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Indie Developers
    Singapore
    Thanks! By my latest count we cover 55 countries, with about 900 recipes!
    35 of those are Korean! Can you recognize any below? :)

[​IMG]