Universal Checkpoint Champion (by Protostar)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Nov 19, 2014.

1. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #61 GiHubb, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    A very nice little game. To newcomers I would suggest to initially start and pick the VW Beetle as it's easier to control.

Some things I would add:
    - More courses, of course.
    - I think the steps in the arena, 20 checkpoints to earn 3 stars, is too large. I would have much preferred if you got a single star for every 5 checkpoints or so. It would seem more manageable, that the next step is right there and one more go would do it...
    - Some sort of multiplayer, a split screen single device seems like a natural to me.

EDIT: scrap point 2, after getting the controls down, it's pretty clear that hitting 60 checkpoints in each arena is the actual challenge.

Great game, the more I'm playing it, the more I'm liking it! And that release trailer - possibly trailer of the year!

2. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Where did everyone go? The leaderboards for the later levels and the daily challenges are getting a bit lonely.

I've three starred all the Aerodrome Challenges and both arenas, so I'll been looking for some stiffer challenges from you guys soon!

3. protostarMatt

protostarMatt Active Member

Sep 18, 2014
    We'll be adding more challenges, cars and arenas soon. :) We'll also be doing some minor fixes and changes, many of which people have mentioned in this very thread! We're hard at work adding translations and finalizing the Android version right now, but as soon as that's done, a new area (with 2 new terrain types) is on it's way! :D

4. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I am at Quetzalcoatl once that finished I will be back.

5. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I see you've taken the lead on that abd Andy's now busy destroying my times on this. I've spread myself too thin!

6. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Great game, my current sports game of the year! The only negative is I think the arenas require too much luck especially the 2nd one - I feel that if you get some checkpoints on top of the mud, the run is pretty much over.
    A friend of mine had a nice idea: split screen co-op where 2 players work together in getting arena high scores! A Vs mode would also be very cool of course. We feel this would be great fun split screen on the iPad.

7. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    #68 GiHubb, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    I have to say something about the pay model, it's way too generous and is dependent on tips pretty much. I can't see this making money with all the cheapskates using mobile devices. I think you should have opted for having the first level pack for free and the rest for the $2 IAP. As is, its straightforward to unlock all the levels and all the car types (the paint jobs are cosmetic so not critical). Personally I bought the IAP to support you guys as I think this is one awesome game, and also got 2 of my friends to do so as well, but I can't see us as the majority.

EDIT: I finally got 3-stars on all the challenges this morning, 60 checkpoints in arena 1 and 56 in arena 2, however arena 2 seems too dependent on luck (see my previous post above) so I doubt I will replay it. Had a blast though competing against my mates on the leaderboards, hopefully more content is on the way, and if not, no worries, it was great while it lasted!

8. Muscat

Muscat Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
  9. protostarMatt

Sep 18, 2014
    Thanks GiHubb, I think you might be in the minority. We're not rich yet, that's for sure! We had the same idea for level packs, but thought we'd see how the whole SUPPORT US thing would go with this game... We'll have to see, but it looks like we might have to be a little stingier with our next game. :cool:

That was my #1 spot! :mad:

10. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
  11. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Still playing your game, just bought the blue Roadster.

Just want to ask if you could make a leaderboard for the stars alone, that would be nice.

12. protostarMatt

Sep 18, 2014
    Agreed! Yes, I think we'll add this in an update soon... and we'll probably make it the main leaderboard in Game Center. And thanks for the support!! :D

13. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Playing it now! Love it, super polished game... Tough but enjoyable # I got a code early on, then paid a couple of bucks to support. I'm not real quick, but I'm having a blast!

14. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Cool man thanks.

I have your game in my Top Ten for Game of the Year 2014, I just love it.

15. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Congrats on your 5 star review from TOUCH ARCADE, that should keep the downloads coming Ha Ha.

16. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Finally unlocked the last car, although I admit that I cheated on the Facebook unlock, as I never like products or companies.

Back to the leaderboards now. :)

17. protostarDean

protostarDean Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Indie game developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hax!

18. ROGER-NL

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just got all the stars, I have now 174 stars.

Waiting for the update and the stars Leaderboard.

19. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Downloaded this last night and played for almost an hour... Very fun! Though I'm only seeing scores/times from people on my GC friends list. No global leaderboards per level? If I missed something could someone please explain how I can access these?