Universal Checkpoint Champion (by Protostar)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

15 more minutes. Can't wait to play this!

2. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Fun game with awesome controls and loads of gameplay. Really wish it had achievements via Game Center though. Maybe they will add those later...

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This could have been such a fun game without the inclusion of unlimited nitrous. In its current state the whole game just boils down to figuring out how to use as much nitrous as possible, aggravated by needing to commit to a straight line when boosting.

4. RenTin850

RenTin850 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    #24 RenTin850, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    I gotta try this one out. I love the artwork with the cars. I use to see cars drawn just like that back then and how I use to try and copy it as a kid in school. Back then the wheels were huge on the drawings. You guys did a perfectly awesome job!

5. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Um...ok. If it say, had no nitrous, then it would still boil down to..the same thing; how well you control the vehicle.

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    If it had no nitrous or limited nitrous then you would have far greater agency over the car's control because you are not being forced into driving in a straight line to boost over and over. That is a pretty big difference.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Ok, I kind of see your point, however most of my best, tightest runs have involved little to no use of nitrous.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Do I really have to? :p I mean...you have Luke frickin' Muscat in the thread, calling the game excellent. ;) It is. I literally bought the Support IAP after finishing the tutorial and can see this becoming the next Mos Speedrun/Mikey Shorts as far as competition goes.

9. protostarDean

protostarDean Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Indie game developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Checkpoint Champion has finally finished its rollout across the globe!
    Of course, it wouldn't be completely out though without a silly video of me and Matt!

Thanks for playing the game everyone.

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Loving this. It's definitely my early Game of the Week.

The individual leaderboards for each challenge are excellent and can see I'm going to spend a lot of time battling with friends (i.e. aiming for the #2 spot).

The challenges to unlock new cars are great too, although I'm sure I just completed Dustbowl 1-1 with 3 stars and no right turns but didn't earn a new car.

11. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Great game. Bought the $1.99 support for the new paint jobs. Like bez said, I can see a lot of fun competition going on here!

One little thing, it would be nice if there was a quick way to switch vehicles. As it is now, you have to go back a few menus. Just a minor nitpick.

Fun times!

12. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Oh boy...only a few challenges in and I can tell already that this is a fantastic little gem of a game. It reminds me very much of one of my all time favourite iOS games - Flight Control (which has sadly been ruined over the years :( )...

13. RenTin850

Dec 10, 2013
    #33 RenTin850, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    The visuals are awesome seeing the car lean while turning and the tires leaving marks on the track. All the little things in this game adds up in a big way. Multiplayer would be cool in this game. It would be fun to race against other players online. Loving this game!

14. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    There is an iap to remove ads already...$1.99 also opens up some paintjobs.

15. RenTin850

Dec 10, 2013
    Didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out!

16. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Absolutely love the artwork in this game! I literally can't stop playing. It's so frustratingly fun! Definitly hope to see more vehicles and multiplayer. Seriously, pick this game up and support these guys!

17. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Take these 5 stars take em.

18. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Haha... That's exactly how I've felt for weeks playing this perfect for mobile game. Checkpoint Champion will literally never leave my homepage.

@Protostar, love the release trailer, you guys freaking rock, but when I go "in" to CC, my steering wheel is on the other side of the car ;)

19. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    I wish they'd add like missiles and dropping oil to make other cars slip. It would be just like having an iOS version of one of my most beloved sega genesis games, COMBAT CARS!

20. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I don't seem to be seeing anyone else in the leaderboards or the daily challenge? Anyone else got this issue?