'Check for updates' not working

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by don_k, Dec 17, 2008.

1. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Does anyone know why my 'check for updates' button in iTunes is not working? I have to manually download each update via the iPhone :(

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    oh, I'm using iTunes 8.0.2 and iPhone firmware 2.2 on OS X 10.4.11 in case those information help.

3. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    There is a 'download all updates' option in iPhone firmware 2.2
    That's weird about iTunes tho, but it is a pretty dodgy program..
    So is it not picking up the updates at all? When you go 'check for updates' what does it come up with?

4. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    same, iphone today said there wern't updates but i knew this was wrong, so i held home for awhile to force quit App Store, then went it. Found 10 updates.

But iTunes said there wern't updates at all.

And yes i've checked version numbers.

I wonder if it's a 10.5.6 bug.

What are other people running? Not jailbroken here.

5. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Mine is not (and never) jailbroken either.

It was all perfect until yesterday. Now, everytime I click 'check for updates' it very instantly answers me with no update available, as if it didn't even search.

I read somewhere that updating apps and games via your iPhone can cause problems, is that true? So far I don't like updating via iPhone because of that.

6. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    same here, happened in the last day or so.

are you running tiger, leopard, xp, vista? Only thing i've changed in the last couple of days is updating leopard to 10.5.6.

could be at apples end?

7. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    I'm running firmware 2.2 jailbroken and mine is jacked up too. Whenever I go to the app store on my phone it says that there's no updates even though there are. I'm angry.

8. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    I wonder if I have the same problem.

I've not seen any updates in iTunes for the past 2 days. I have 111 apps so I normally get at least a few updates every day or so.

The iPhone shows no updates either, even tried force quitting the app and searching again :(

Then again, maybe there just aren't any updates for me...

9. I am on a Mac running Leopard 10.5.5 this morning (updated to 10.5.6 since then).

Funny thing happened to me this morning- I turned iTunes on and 6 app updates automatically downloaded all by themselves! I never even went onto the app page, let alone check for updates.
    Anyone else have that?
    Like I said above, I have since updated to 10.5.6, and check now with the usual no updates available message, most probably because I already got them this morning.

10. QWK SVT

QWK SVT Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Me - mine sees the updates, but doesn't install them. Instead iTunes gives me the 0xE800002E error message. It has been like this for a little while (since about the same time 2.2 came out), and happens with every app requiring an update...

My only work around is to remove the app from the phone, and reinstall it (losing saved games, etc. in the process) :rolleyes:

11. dewy666

dewy666 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Nope it happened to me on 10.5.5 i think that itunes is being and ass probably an error on their server

12. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Mine started working again today.

13. edisontw

edisontw New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    #13 edisontw, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    I have the same problem, and my PC runs vista and itunes 8.0.2. But I found if u delete all other apps in your apps library and just leave the update apps, then itunes can find the updates.

14. rixm

rixm Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    App updates stopped working for me (in itunes only) since upgrading to 10.5.6.

I've re-installed itunes, no joy. Always says no updates. Works fine on the phone itself (v2.2 OS) Hope someone comes up with a way to fix this soon.

Rich

15. apocalypsx

apocalypsx Member

Dec 20, 2008
    anyone got a fix for this problem yet?

16. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    My ipod touch can see the updates, but my PC Vista doesn't.

17. apocalypsx

apocalypsx Member

Dec 20, 2008
    same here, its workin' on my iphone but not in my itunes...

18. Mandi

Mandi Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Question - does everyone here have more than one iTunes account? I have a Japanese account which I downloaded 1 free app from, and as soon as I deleted that my updates started working again.

19. mrsteveman1

mrsteveman1 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Sounds like a server issue, for me it seems to have started a few days ago, quite a bit after 10.5.6 came out and of course weeks after 2.2 came out.

It seems like it just doesn't get a response from Apples systems. In fact to update fastlane i just went to its app page and hit buy again, which is of course free, and it downloaded the update for me.

20. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    This happens so often... Sometimes it's fixed in 10 minutes, sometimes only the day later.