Apple TV Chariot

Discussion in 'Apple TV Games' started by Spindler, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Spindler

Spindler Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
  2. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    #2 collider, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Anybody try this? It looks incredible, how does it play?

edit: ok, looked it up - guess it's been out a while on other platforms. Definitely going to give this a try - it looks fabulous. For anyone interested, here's a pretty good play through (not sure on what - I think xbox one).
    http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-chariot/2300-9564/

I'll give a shout back after a couple levels...

3. collider

Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    OK, this game is insanely good. It's really good looking, the controls (using Horipad) are spot on, the voice acting is great, the animation is great, the levels are designed super well. I haven't tried with Apple remote yet though. The levels are looooong. There is a ton of stuff to do and search for, and as you progress you unlock new passages, so lots of reason to go back through each level. There are places where 2 people are needed, they're clearly marked with signs. I've been playing single player, but there are definitely spots that would be much easier co-op (assuming you have a nice friend that will help). There are items you can buy, and you need to discover plans for other items, but it looks like you can only choose 1 item per run. So it seems certain levels will be easier with certain items. I'm still not sure exactly how you buy or upgrade stuff though - there doesn't seem to be a price attached to anything in the shop.

If you're on the fence with this one, I say go for it. It's one of the best platformers I've played in a while, you get a ton of play for your 10 bucks. I'm super psyched games like this are starting to appear on Apple TV, I hope more devs start porting games like this over.

4. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Thanks so much for the detailed impressions! :)

5. zebe

zebe Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 11, 2013
    Redwood City, California
    Seconded... I have two gamepads and simultaneous co-op AppleTV games are in high demand at my house.

6. collider

Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Sure, no problem - let me know how you guys/gals like it. I can't convince my daughter to play games with me (teenager!), so let me know how the co-op goes :)
    I finally tried the remote, and while it works, a controller (or 2) works better, and when I turned my controller off the game even came up with a note that said (paraphrase) "You can use your stupid little remote if you really want to, but you don't REALLY want to, do you, idiot?" (that's how my tv talks to me).
    While the remote is a pretty cool thing for some stuff, I really wish Apple didn't force it so hard on developers. I think it will be a while before we see a lot of indie platformers, unless Apple relaxes a bit.