Character's colours. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Mooflet, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Mooflet

Mooflet Member

Jul 31, 2012
    #1 Mooflet, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
    Hey guys. Just looking for some thoughts on the colour used for my main character. Out of all the body colours I got back from the artist the blue looked the best but the fin on it was light blue at the time and I knew something that opposed the body colour would look better so I went with the pinks from a different version.

*It is a fairly large image so I suggest you click it so its not so blurry*

Attached Files:

2. Synaptic Wave

Synaptic Wave Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    PR manager at Synaptic Wave
    Odessa, Ukraine
    I like it. But will a blue fish look good in blue water? If your background is of that greenish color, your character is perfect.

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    This. Your characters depend on standing out from the environment. Does it?

4. Mooflet

Mooflet Member

Jul 31, 2012
    *To quickly clarify, the character is a mudskipper, I know its not very obvious but that aspect will be covered by the games theme* Standing out from the background won't be a problem as I'm not really going for realism, so there will be all sorts of colours used in the environment.

5. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Looks good, even if the background is the same colour you could add a strong outline to make it pop from the background, an outline then another white outline looks good, will look like a sticker.

6. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Then it should work out fine and dandy.

7. Mooflet

Mooflet Member

Jul 31, 2012
    But do you have thoughts on the colour clash? Does it look dis-tasteful? Because I really have huge bias and now can't tell whether its trash or good. Also, do you think the character has brandability? Thanks for the input so far :D!

8. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    As I recall, mudskippers are gray/green like in color. The current color scheme makes it look more like a fish. One variation you could try is going with the gray/green color scheme and maybe just highlight the fins or minor details to use unqiue colors.

DP