CHAOS RINGS series summer sale (1 week only)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by niezam, Jul 26, 2012.

1. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Bought CR I and II for the ipad, so now the collection is complete but I really dont see that much of a difference between the CR HD and the iPhone version I got a while back.

Still, very good games, love the gameplay as I think fits mobile gaming like a glove and the visuals on CR II are excellent. Everyone should check at least the original CH at that low price but really all these games are worth the asking price.

2. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    When des the sale end? Next Wednesday?

3. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Is it best to just play them in the order that they were released, if I were to get them all? Or, if I decide to pick up just one, should it be CRII because it is the latest?

4. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    #24 Card, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    From a previous sale post, for those interested -

"I like CR1's story much more than Omega's (which is rather stupid, IMHO). With the cave-out that you really need to play all couples in the 1 to get the whole story and appreciate it's quality.
    Also, the couple that most people start with in CR1 - the one with Escher (the white-haired dude), has the weakest story. All the rest are much better.

Omega is entirely skippable, IMHO - it is a little prettier, but uses a lot of re-colored areas from 1, the story is much worse and contradicts that of 1 as well as spoils the great revelation of 1 if you play it first, combat is slightly better balanced, but it is not good enough to make up for it's other shortcomings.

I regret having bought Omega during the last sale. Should have picked one of FFs."

5. rezzo

rezzo Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2012
    great! bought CR1.

6. popblanks

popblanks Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    #26 popblanks, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
    me too. But oh well. Might as well get it.

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Is this worth it even if I'm not a huge RPG fan?

(Never played any CR title... :eek: )

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Is Chaos Rings II significantly better than the others? I liked them, but only so-so. I did not really catch the magic, although really wanted to like them. The reviews make me think Chaos II might be the ticket, but don't want to drop $14 on a maybe.

9. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    i think omega's story is well written. Specially in the extra-stage.

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Okay, I'm deleting every comment concerning NES graphics/trolls/prices/etc.

11. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    #31 Greyskull, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    2 quick questions regarding the original Chaos Rings:

For the iPhone version, are the graphics In Retina resolution (iPhone 4+ retina, that is)?

Also, how do the battles play out? Any strategy, or is it simply "attack/guard/skill/item/etc"?

One last thing, any character customization? Last FF I played was 7, which I didn't finish because I felt as if I was watching a movie instead of playing a game (one with much less actual gameplay and a much more trite story than, for example, a MG:S game). But I know later versions had that whole grid thing for skills, or other ways to use a bit of strategy when composing your party.

12. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    If i remenber correctly they were retina maybe someone can clear this better for you.

For me this one didn't have any kind of strategy just practically tap attack and the ocassional item, if by character customization you mean change of armor, sword and things like that there is none, for story at least for my taste the only interesting part was the beginning and the end the rest was just boring even though you have 4 pairs of characters

13. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    You gain and assign different "genes" to the characters to determine what abilities they have. They're removable though, so it's not like you just accumulate everything for every character until they're all the same. I honestly don't know how you'd like that though if you thought FF7 didn't have enough customization because it's ultimately not that different than assigning materia. The games with grid systems usually allow for the eventual maxing of all characters, give or take a few stat points based on what the characters started with to differentiate from each other.

Sort of seems like you'd be more into a game where you just make a character from scratch.

14. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    cough cough. Mine wasn't entirely about that, you can check the quote I got. Be more careful with what you edit and/or entirely delete next time, it can get annoying.

15. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, my bad. Missed part of your post. I thought I made sure to edit posts that didn't completely pertain to those things rather than delete them completely. Your's was the only exception. At least your post was quoted and answered.

16. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, I don't really remember how materia worked, seeing how I quit playing after finishing disc 1. The game was basically just getting started.

Well, I picked it up anyway...and yeah, the store description mentioned retina (possibly added after release?).

Oh, and I know not to expect deep strategy, but I've browsed FAQs for FF8, 9 or 10 and there seemed to be, aside from hidden quests, side content, etc, a pretty in depth skill allocation system, along w/ weapon fusions and whatnot. I remember, at the time, a good number of FF fans who began with 7 were overwhelmed and preferred the more narrative driven, battles-as-cutscenes style as opposed to actively having to manage your party.