CHAOS RINGS series summer sale (1 week only)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by niezam, Jul 26, 2012.

1. niezam

niezam Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    App Store
    iPhone,
    CHAOS RINGS $12.99 -> $3.99
    CHAOS RINGS Ω $11.99 -> $4.99
    CHAOS RINGS II $17.99 -> $12.99

iPad,
    CHAOS RINGS for iPad $15.99 -> $4.99
    CHAOS RINGS Ω for iPad $14.99 -> $5.99
    CHAOS RINGS II for iPad $19.99 -> $13.99

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Perfect chance for people to pick up games from the best JRPG series on the iOS. Got them all for the launch price. They're all worth it.

3. Tonyzorz

Tonyzorz Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2011
    South Korea
    Is Chaos ring and omega the exact same thing? Or do they differ from characters, skills and story line?

4. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Weird. Was just talking about getting CR2. Haven't played any of them, but I figured I'd go for the best. Honestly, though, $13 is still a little rich for my blood, as I just bought War of the Lions last week ($15). But I do think I will take this opportunity to pick up the first CR.

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Fingers crossed for a Chrono Trigger sale soon...

6. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    They ache from being crossed for so long :(

7. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I only have CR for iPhone and CR Omega for ipad, im planning to complete the collection on either ipad or iphone, getting the hd/sd version of the game I already have. So is this noticeable better on any one of them? Particulary CR II since I hear it got nice visuals.

8. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Anyone know offhand the file size of the first CR installed?

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    cr: 898.9
    cro: 951.1
    cr2: 946.4

10. UmbraVir

UmbraVir Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Student
    CT
    never could get into the chaos rings series as much as other RPG's. It's pretty much the two-party system that kills it for me(too few characters). the limited amount of persons per party really put a strain on the flexibility and, as a result, made the game feel like it lacked a need for strategizing much. that's just me though.

11. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Chaos rings and omega are two separate games with different stories. Omega happens before chaos rings.

12. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Thanks!

13. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    You are right. This is a rather streamlined JRPG experience but it is the only original JRPG franchise on the ios...so take it or leave it! =p

BTW...'retro graphics' + turn based combat doesn't make a JRPG like a lot of developers think. Those are just imposed hardware limitations of the last century. JRPGS have always traditionally been character and plot driven and chaos ring series succeeds at this (relatively of course).

14. Tonyzorz

Aug 13, 2011
    South Korea
    I know they are separate games but few of the Omega reviews say that chaos ring and omega are very similar to each other. I don't want a situation where I finish chaos ring and be bored with omega. I need to feel clear distinction between the two games.

15. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    you won't. both story are great.

in original, you got to play as 4 couples(actually they feel all the same, except some skills are different), and you need to finish the game 4 times to see the true ending.

in omega, you can only play as 3 characters. but there is an extra mode or something after the main story. so the replay value is still very high. if you played the original chaos rings, you will love the characters more.

i prefer omega over than original.

and i am thinking of buying CR2 too. How many character we can use this time?

16. Tonyzorz

Aug 13, 2011
    South Korea
    Well if you put it that way, I wouldn't mind spending couple bucks for it. Thanks :)

17. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010

There are 5 main characters you get to play as, an extra 2 as the story progresses.

18. relsircspotcat

relsircspotcat Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Apps Developer
    aww I just bought CR2 HD 2 weeks ago, because I thought there's wasn't any sale for the summer. Oh well money well spent IMO.

19. Toz

Toz Member

Jul 18, 2012
    #19 Toz, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    I had these on my watch list on App Shopper(TouchArcade's sister site) and as soon as I saw the drops, I jumped into the AppStore and bought all of them for iPad at one go. CR2 will get even cheaper next year but I didn't want to wait anymore.

Pretty cool that they updated the games with Japanese audio(you never see that happening with console games from SE). But I am afraid with all the idiots complaining in the reviews, SE may not do this in the future.

20. GeekyDad

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    #20 GeekyDad, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
    Anyway, I took the plunge and just set it to download the first CR. I say "take the plunge" not because of the price, but because of the size. I really wish updates like the voice overs were optional downloads. Don't get me wrong, it's that extra production polish that makes SE games worth the Square tax, but I'd love to have the option of downloading a game that was about 500MB lighter.

In any case, I likely won't actually touch the game for a while. I'm knee deep (about 40 hours) into Final Fantasy Tactics. It deserves and will get all my gaming attention for now. But can't pass this sale up. I think $4 is the cheapest I've seen CR.