Universal CHAOS RINGS III (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NaiveCynic, May 28, 2015.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Starting to sound like an 8.3 issue. But it's still hard to tell. Though in my opinion, 8.3 is probably one of the worst updates in Apple history, removing access for file sharing. That's how I back up and replay my games without the Cloud which can be spotty even when working.

2. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Me too. Same device same iOS.

3. Hadin

Hadin Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I have the mocktopus crash, using OS 7.1.2 on an ipad air, so it's not just a 8.3 issue...

4. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Approx how many hours before I meet with mocktpus I have’nt touch this
    Busy playing sproggiwood...

5. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Pretty early, maybe 1-2 hrs, there are other quests and things to do but I think the mocktopus is a key quest to advance in the long term.

6. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    So far seems to be iPads running into it. Anyone on an iPhone trigger that particular crash yet? Lawliet, you seem to be going okay, what are you using?

I'm wondering if the reason I didn't hit it is because my version is the updated Japanese app, so any confirmation of progressing past mocktopus from someone on the native English app would be awesome. Either way, I've notified the people I know at SE about the problem. Just need to know what kind of note I need to temporarily append to the review.

7. Hadin

Hadin Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Hmmm, my clock says 3 hours but I did a lot of exploring, I think it's the first real story mission, or at least one of the first. It's a level 5 quest...

8. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    On jail broken iPad Air 2. Game plays fine so far. Shame even at "high" resolution it's not actually retina resolution. And again the Framerates look like it's in the 20s. Either the game is super demanding or the game is hard coded to be like that.

9. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Hey guys how do I sync this between devices

10. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    You don't, unfortunately.

11. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    #131 L.Lawliet, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Hey Shaun I have a quick question. For the Aries gift, is it better to turn that into an item or use it for fusion? It seems like it's an unlimited use item (once per day). But I'm wondering if it's a core item needed for fusion since I saw it's a rare level 1 gift that opened up some SR fusion options.

I'm guessing I can find more lvl 1 down the round and should just transform Aries into an item?

I'm running on iphone 6, 8.1 non-jailbreak. Unfortunately that information probably won't help others running on ipads with newer firmware. I contemplated JB before but it bogged down my old devices too much with all the tweaking.

12. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Oh my god seriously..

I notice the graphics seems to be much worse than the previous series..

Are they planning for iCloud sync in near future.. It really needs a sync man

13. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    The graphics are definitely substantially better with even more assets being full 3D. The problem we're all seeing is a resolution compatibility issue most likely. The old CR apps seem to have coped with the new resolutions fine but they must have botched something in the code for CR3.

I think the best thing to do is have multiple people email about the crash and about the resolution / blurriness. From my understanding, SQE does end up reading our mass emails. However it's another thing whether they will fix it or not. If they can fix the crash issue I hope they'll put in the time to fix the optimization.

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Can anyone with an iPad play past tht octopus part? It would be nice if I didn't delete 4 gb of stuff to install something that will break midway.

15. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    The only things I use are iCleaner, Crash Reporter and RetroArch. Took 2 of those off and still a no-go. I'm wondering if the JB version and iOS are the culprit. Nothing can take up that much RAM, can it? Infinity Blade 3, Monster Hunter, Fahrenheit, and KOTOR all work fine. AND, I just loaded CR3 on my old iPad 2 and it runs perfectly. Guess I'll have to play it on that until a fix comes along... Man, only an hour into it and it's shaping up to be one of my top 3 iOS RPGs after DQ8 and MHFU.

16. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Yeah, you can use it as you like. There are no "one-of-a-kind" cards in the game. I think I used it for fusion, but I ended up getting lucky and pulling a couple more.

So you had no crash after beating Mocktopus, is that right?

17. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    I agree on them needing some kind of cloud saving solution, especially with iOS 8.3 breaking iFunbox and such.

The graphics probably look worse because instead of rendering one or two 3D characters on a pre-rendered background image, it's rendering everything in real-time 3D. In battles, there are now potentially three party members instead of two, and I think the number of large enemies possible in each fight is bigger, as well. So they basically have to spread the polygons around. I think it looks pretty great, but I wasn't expecting much better than a PS2-era mid-budget game out of it.

18. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    iPad mini 3 iOS 8.1 I crash during the cutscene as well for the octopus. Other than that the game has been flawless.

19. Superatomic

Superatomic Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Will it run on my iphone4S??

20. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay thanks! The game has me thinking a lot about my choices now that there are so many options. The game has a linear story with non linear customization which is really fun.

Yeah I haven't had a single crash and it also often sits well in the background as long as there's only a few apps working. I do think as others stated it might be some kind of firmware + device combination that's screwing it up since it sounds like it's actually not a JB issue (as some people were able to run it).

I don't know if I'd consider MHFU an RPG. I don't know what I'd call it though.. a simulator? LOL. I guess without the story and back and fourth battles it doesn't feel that way to me. Maybe more of an action game? Anyhow, WITHOUT including MHFU, I'd rank my top iOS RPGs as 1) Chaos Rings 3, 2) TWEWY (RIP... F U SQE), 3) Final Fantasy Tactics / Chaos Rings series (It's a toss up since FFT takes a lot of brain power).

And please share your comments on CR3 as you play. I wanted to hear more thoughts and honestly seems like only a few people have reviewed the game in the thread, not including Shaun. CR3 overwhelms me with so much to do I'm happy every time I boot up the game. I also love listening to the music in the Space Station.