Universal CHAOS RINGS III (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NaiveCynic, May 28, 2015.

1. Haoulelouch

Haoulelouch Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Does this run on Ipod Touch 4?

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    It seems like quite a few people can't stand original dubs, I for one am supremely glad the Japanese voices are intact.

3. zepfhyr

zepfhyr Member

Feb 4, 2010
    #103 zepfhyr, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Yes. It defaults to "Medium" for the graphics setting, but it seems to play just fine when I bumped it up to "High". I'm currently playing on my iPhone 6, but I fired it up on the iPad to see if the interface elements for the title screen and title menu were blurry on it the way they are on my iPhone (none of the in-game graphics are blurry, thankfully).

4. yaboyrasp

yaboyrasp Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013

Crashes on me on my iPad mini....anyone know how to get a refund?

5. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

I'm glad they used the original dub. English dubs sound completely unnatural and forced most of the time. From my experience, many people like english dubs because they are too lazy to read.
    ---
    That aside, the I've played about 8 hours and I'm enjoying quite a bit. There are some good sound tracks and I enjoy the quest scheme. The F2P-like elements are enjoyable: double currency, being able to pay for a VIP membership, daily rewards, daily challenges (to the dense people: it is not a F2P game).

There are 2 problems with the game IMO:

1. No iCloud. This one really bothers me since I cannot access the file system to backup the file, I will be stuck with the game on my phone. (please people, do not start an argument about updating the OS etc., no one cares). I cannot change between my devices as well...

2. Some textures are horrendous. I wish they used higher quality assets. Even some buttons (to skip cutscene) are not retina optimized, which is quite weird. I would prefer a big file size with better looking textures any day. I researched and the Vita version seems to be using the same assets. I would be really angry if I had to play a game on vita that looks like a PSP game at best.

6. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    CR2 in my honest opnion had a better story with more suspense. This game isn't bad but I hate the cast and the stray from the main storyline. Overall it's still a fun game but I don't know what's missing here for me. I'm glad I got the game but I don't agree with the movement of story so far. Anyone else feel the same?

7. eventide

eventide Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    I don't think you can, but you can get iTunes Store credit.

8. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Jp iphone 6 iOS 8 works!! :D

No protection bypass apps used

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #109 L.Lawliet, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    I actually disagree with this being worse than the other stories. Imo this game has a better more adventurous story. Maybe I'm the only one who likes the story and characters here more. They actually seem to have more personality. I also feel more drama and mystery to see what is going on in their world and what they're looking for. I think honestly if the game did another murder everyone on the ship story, reviewers would probably complain about the lack of originality since two games of it was enough. The prequel was great in mixing things up just a bit.

The other games were good but I realized it was time to change things up story-wise because the story is always basically people stuck on a ship and having to kill each other. CR3 is more open like a standard RPG and doesn't feel confined to having to go in a linear fashion of killing off partners and participants one by one. They were still amazing games but after CR1 you can kind of predict how the story unfolds.

And i much prefer the Japanese voices. I like the original voice tracks on all my games, provided I can understand them. The characters in most these games seem like Japanese people anyhow.

Oh yeah as for content / length update:
    7 hours in and only completed 4 main story quests. I've been going around the Coliseum fighting and also exploring the worlds freely to gather some items. The battle system is way more fun this time around with the increased difficulty and dependence on MP (which most JRPGs suffer from conserving MP until boss fights).

10. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015

Thanks I'm still going to play through this. I just want the story to get more tense than currently is at the moment.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Guys, can I enjoy this from A to Z without having played the last 2 games in the series? I mean, is it a standalone story, or is it a continuation of the last 3 games?

12. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I'm enjoying it very much and I haven't played the others. Shaun's review was pretty spot on. Digging it.

13. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Try using xcon to see if it bypasses the JB detection. Thank God I didn't throw 20 bucks to the bin...

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I've heard from a few others that they are playing it fine on a JB device. So, it must just be MY specific JB iOS 7.0.6 that is throwing a wrench in the app even starting. Maybe I'll post somewhere so someone can help me read the crash report and see if an unjailbreaking is my only option. But, thanks for the suggestion! I've tried xCon, Officer, and Bypass X. None of them have worked, unfortunately.

15. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Would love to pick this up, got £30 sitting in my iTunes account but after the way Square Enix treated us with TWEWY, I'm not buying another of their full price titles again. They've lost this particular customer.

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Maybe you've got a memory-intensive tweak/mod installed? I've read that Winterboard themes use a lot of RAM. If CR3 is memory-intensive, those tweaks could be the cause. Remember SquareEnix don't expect so many things running in the background. I don't have many tweaks installed and the ones I have are not memory intensive, but even in this scenario I've had some games crash more often or run slower than in non-JB devices (Sonic Dash, Crazy Taxi City Rush, etc.).

17. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    iPad Air 8.3 mocktopus crash. I can play the colosseum and other areas but crashes at cut scene on mocktopus.

18. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Working fine , bought the game and have JB iphone 6 on 8.1.2 here , don't think the JB is the issue here , probably more a Cydia mod , something like that imo.

19. yaboyrasp

yaboyrasp Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    So at least I'm not the only one....crashes for me on my first gen mini I'm going to load it on my iPad 3 to see if it works

20. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Me too, running an iPad Air. I'm going to try adjusting some of the graphic settings...I'll post if it changes anything...