Universal CHAOS RINGS III (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NaiveCynic, May 28, 2015.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I agree with Shaun. Even if the setting looks a bit off with the colors it'll still be a premium mobile original RPG that no other one comes close to (not ports).

It's still installing but I'm probably going to have to delete some of my old CR games from my device to make room. I really like CR Omega's New Game+ but I haven't gotten time to play with it yet.

Only thing I'm bummed about is that the icon looks completely different from the last 3 games. They should've kept it similar at least. Who's idea was it to scrap that and then shove SQUARE ENIX on the front like all their other freemium games? It looks ugly sitting next to my CR3 app icon. Not like SQUARE ENIX is something to boast about anymore..

2. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    You got me at awesome production values
    Downloading it now##
    Guess i'll buy sproggiwood next week

3. Danz060391

Danz060391 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Piano teacher
    New Zealand
    Can confirm this is out worldwide now

4. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Wow... I thought CR2 was the most gorgeous RPG on iOS. I was wrong. CR3 blows it out of the water. The full 3D is absolutely stunning. The graphics are definitely a step up and it feels like I'm playing a full blown RPG. The first town with the hero in it is a good example. I just had to stop playing and comment about it.

The battle system is pretty much the same but it looks like it uses cards which could be really fun. The animations look amazing as I expected. Character / enemy design, stellar.

I can't praise this game enough. I hope it meets my expectations as I keep playing through it.

One problem is it seems like the graphics are blurred (stretching). I'm not sure what happened but I hope they can fix it. Though its been out for a while so it seems unlikely. I'm guessing they made the resolution smaller which would seem to fit on a iphone 5 screen. On my iphone 6 is clearly doesn't seem sharp at all. It's a pity because the game has beautiful graphics.

5. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Oh, right. As our friend here is trying to say in the first part of his post, you have to download the last three chapters from within the app. This is because of the game's large size, so you can delete chapters as you don't need them anymore. Normally, the game will prompt you to download after you finish each chapter, but you can go into the options menu in your camp screen and download them all right away if you like. Recommended if you think you'll be out and about when you hit the chapter breaks.

Those extra chapters inflate the install size to over 2 GB. I had forgotten I'd deleted two of them.

6. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Only one frustration so far... -shakes mogu controller at game- Work!!

7. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    I wonder how it will look like on my 6+#
    But it doesn't have black bars right??

8. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    What? Do U mean MFi support?

9. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    PLEASE BUY THIS GAME. Show SQE that people still want full fleshed premium games. If you look at their app releases lately you'll see what kind of stuff they're leaning towards. I am very happy to say that CR3 could be the best original iOS rpg ever.

I have too much to write but.. It's wow. It blows CR2 out of the water. Better music, fun charcters, beautiful environments, and intuitive UI / shortcuts. Hell even the menu is gorgeous. The game feels like an actual world than a dungeon like in past CR games, even though exploration is still dungeon esque.

One big pro is that battles feel extremely fluid. Characters will attack immediately in succession. No attack, pause, next person attacks - classic style. They attack quickly. The battle feels more stream lined and they added combos and critical attack disruptions to replace the pairing, which I think is a great advancement now with three people parties. There's even some special finishing moves that randomly appear. Battles feel fun and exciting. I also believe some armor can change your appearance. The three initial members have great weapons and character designs. The girl Leary in particular has one of the coolest weapon designs I've seen in an RPG - she's probably my favorite in CR3.

You create and collect monster cards from items on the field to get your basic magic skills and stat boosts. It adds a huge collection element as all the card art is fantastic. And when you open rare treasure boxes there's a collection punch card that will reward you with items when you complete it.

And story mode is really intriguing. I'm interested in learning about this new world. BUT WAIT. That's not all. There's a SECOND mode. Battle mode. Here you can fight monsters for rewards in a coliseum style. You can also use points earned to buy rare weapons and equips. They also change out dungeons and rewards every now and then. Log in bonuses, random item boxes, everything is here.

This is like the RPG I've always needed. But not the RPG we deserve.

I just hope the story pulls through. So far, I can't find anything I miss from CR2 besides the icon :)

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? Buy the damn game.

I really need to go to bed. I've never been so excited to write a positive review.

Oh no black bars. Just blurry ish graphics.

10. shidokan57

shidokan57 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Heres my ? Is there english voice acting? I would hope with all the extra time they had they did it. And since its the third instalment and a popular ios title they would do it. If not im still buying wooooo

11. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    curious how does the game run?

The biggest problem i had with chaos rings 1-2-omega is the odd framerate cap of around 20ish. So even on the latest phones the games look and feel sluggish, its like going back to playing a ps1 jrpg today.

12. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    There isn't unfortunately. Though that would add tremendous file size. I actually don't like English dub but I know some people do. However not everything is voiced so it shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Also. I forgot to mention but the coliseum battles all have an announcer WHILE you fight. It's intense. Though it's in Japanese so if you don't understand it it's not as fun.

And the battles are even better with great camera angles and zoom ins. It really feels like a quality console RPG. Though obviously there's limitations to dungeon environment sizes to take into account the game size on mobile.

13. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Is this portrait or landscape?

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    My exact thoughts! I've been waiting and posting about not having this for quite a while. I will now eat all those words and happily buy it!

15. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Landscape only.

16. Opheus

Opheus Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Shaun how is this game replayability ? I'm actually quite afraid to pick up a SE nowadays

17. Shaun Musgrave

Jul 8, 2013
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Well, it's a single-player JRPG. They do timed events in the colosseum mode, but this genre isn't exactly ripe for frequent replays, you know? You'll get a good amount of time out of the main story, though.

18. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Well, for what it's worth, bought it seconds after seeing it pop up on the TA app. Oh, please, Square Enix, don't hurt me again like you did with TWEWY and Drakerider. Pretty please? :(

Seriously, though, I hate myself for giving them the idea that sort of corporate behaviour is okay but... I liked CR1 and Omega, really liked CR2 (other than the silly ending), and want to support premium apps where I can, so... hope to God it makes up for at least some of my blind faith, I guess.

19. speedyph

speedyph 🌊🌊🌊🏃🏃😂😂😂⚡️⚡️⚡️

Feb 3, 2013
    hey man ############## u are awesome u are in all the paid apps games sectiona and u reallly apreciate ios games its so great to see people like u ik the forums im gonna buy it next week hopefully ill b done with forgotten memories ####but ur reviews i always look atvur comments are so well thought out and put wonderfully thank u for ur reviews #####

20. mstacheef

mstacheef Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013
    Really interested in this one. Assuming doesn't need a constant internet connection right?