Universal CHAOS RINGS III (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NaiveCynic, May 28, 2015.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I actually advanced the date as well. When I did it, though, I got enough to make sure I could buy a lot. The cards I got, and few pieces of gear, made a huge difference in my gameplay. After that, grinding was a bit more fun, for me at least. Hope he got enough too!

sebgo likes this.
  2. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't even think of doing that. I might do it, then, since I'm pretty early in the game this time (unlike the time I spent hours to reach Ep3 only to lose my progress), so if anything goes wrong there won't be much to lose...

Yeah, maybe I'll do it...

3. Rodel Ludwig Rodriguez

Nov 9, 2018
    Male
    Hi guys, I just returned to play Chaos Rings 3 again because I missed the game. I'm just wondering what this gene is. I can't seem to find it anywhere, is it ps vita exclusive?

Attached Files:

4. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Every time I see this thread gets updated I wishful for iphone x support

lilneo and sebgo like this.
  5. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

And I wish it gets a little balance to lean less on its ftp-ish nature. I deleted the game because of it. Biggest waste of money in years. Now, getting Chaos Rings previous games' threads updated would certainly almost cause me a heart attack. I'd play them from start again, if they were updated for current iOS versions.

6. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    This and cloud saves.

Mycroft and lilneo like this.
  7. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Oh, right. The only time I invested some decent time into it (22+ hours, I think), I lost my progress when I was forced to restore my device's iOS.

8. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    I disagree. there’s nothing FTP-ish about it. One of the best mobile games ever IMO.

lilneo and L.Lawliet like this.
  9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    f2p? What? I don't even recall anyone in this thread even complaining about that. There's nothing f2p in it at all. There's login coins to get bonus items but you don't even need those. The balance in this game is pretty good and this is probably the last great original mobile JRPG. It was good enough to warrant a portable console port.

lilneo and Pagan Fox like this.
  10. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

I didn't mean to say it's strictly, or heavily, F2P, since there's no real money payment involved except the upfront price (that's what the "-ish" was intended for). But it's simply just not "natural" in regular RPGs, as an example, not being able to recover MP, unless you used items that are obtained mainly in a F2P-fashion in the game (through quests or daily logins) when you can usually just rest your party at inns to recover both HP and MP or, later in the game, buy said items from shops using regular credits obtained through battles. I don't think you can get plums from shops, at least not in the first two chapters (I only made it to the start of chapter 3 before losing my progress) and I can barely remember getting a decent amount, if any, from chests or monsters.

I noticed there was a way to avoid the MP recovery wait (think of timers, one second per MP point, wth) by simply switching back and forth through Colosseum and Story modes, but that felt like cheating... "Oh, hey, I ran out of MP and I don't have any plums left... let me switch modes and get back to the game". This basically breaks the continuity of play and joy you can get from the game, as well as making it too hard to advance when your characters are low on MP (using skills makes it incredibly easier to go through battles, compared to using physical attacks). Also, some previous comments mention fastforwarding date/time for obtaining some benefits (that rings an old Candy Crush bell, for recovering hearts). I've only/mainly seen this player behaviour in F2P games, when they grow impatient of restricting mechanics or endless/constant flow of content that takes a lot of grinding.

Items obtained with Ohnz, although not mandatory for going through the game, are way stronger/faster/improved than items you can get from shops using regular credits. Also, they're apparently the only items with cosmetic value, as for most items you get the same appearance. Think of how some F2P games offer and monetize on different skins and/or special weapons. In addition to this, keep in mind GP boxes, "VIP Access" that tries to encourage players to play more through limited-time exp/money bonus and keys for special chests.

Don't get me wrong about the game's remaining aspects quality. I actually enjoyed the story until chapter 3 and, even though they radically changed the visual tone and BGM, I grew used to that change (although I never considered it a Chaos Rings game, since it lacks most of what established the mood in previous games), combats were like in regular turn based RPGs and the finishing moves were cool. But I literally forced myself to play this game in an attempt to make it through the story and find a justification for the money investment. In a second try I didn't feel like making it even to the second chapter and deleted it... maybe I'll play it again later but, for now, I'm staying away from it, since this is not the way I wanna play a game I almost insta-bough out of love for the previous games.

If I had known it'd be like this, trust me I wouldn't have spent the money and time I put into it, and I wouldn't be here trying to justify my opinion. Maybe I didn't perform a decent research before purchase. Sorry.

11. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    @sebgo I initially agreed with you and it took me a while to get past that and into the game, but once I'd played for a little longer I really fell in love with this game (currently playing through chapter 3) It's really really good, maybe give it a little more time?

12. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Yup, I may give it another try later... waaaaay later.

It's not totally out of consideration, but it's still a little hard for me to get back to it, and the constant flow of new releases (indie and bigger companies) make it even harder to look in CR3's way. Haha

13. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Haha yeah.. so much good stuff out there!

14. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    A question to everyone... Say another developer manage to license this game and come out with the exact same piece but f2p game.
    Iphone x support and all the fancy stuffs u expect to be in a game today.

Will you be supportive of it. I wish square Enix will consider this.. It's such a pity the last update is 2 years and I can understand the death of premium games u just don't make money anymore.

I really want to play this again!!! Please square!!!!!

15. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    there are tons of premium, successful games. i really don’t get this “free-to-play or die from hunger” wagon. if your game is good enough you will make money regardless is it f2p or premium.

16. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    #2376 Mattosai, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Just read the FAQ (my sig) we did , if coins are a problem, you can easily fix this with changing your phone date.

While it’s true CR III was obviously intended as a f2p release (gacha boxes + currency dont lie) , they did a 180º turn and made it a 100% premium game and prob the best jrpg squix released on iphone (even if i liked the 2 first a lil more story wise , on dramatic side).

at least this one is still available, wish they could re-release the 2 firsts in one game, Celestial Diva is still one of the best song i heard.

Btw i dont feel premium games are dying at all, monster hunter stories is probably my goty , sky gamblers storm raiders 2 etc..

And f2p model is now most generous overall imo in EN versions, played sdorica, was nice for a while.

Now playing EN Azure Lane (game similar to girls frontline but with different gameplay.) and unlike ffbe or jp nuts 1/2/3% gacha rates (dropped grancrest cause of it despite being a fan) , 7% + banner chances , any f2p can get best SR units multiple times without efforts, skins are mostly what you pay for. Needless to say it’s optional.

sebgo likes this.
  17. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I was thinking of getting this but saw that the AppStore has a notation that the game has issues with iOS13 and iPadOS.
    They say to bear with them while they try to fix it.
    There is no recent update for the game so I was wondering if anyone knows how long the game has been broken and what exactly is the fault?

I am very wary of Square Enix actually fixing their mobile games after they completely neglected to fix Chaos Rings 2 (that was an expensive outcome for me :(

L.Lawliet likes this.
  18. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    The game renders weird on some devices (it's unplayable on any iPhone with a notch). For me it works fine on my iphone 7 and iPad Pro 2nd gen.

Squeenix don't have a great reputation for fixing their games.. so it is a bit of a risk! But it does work for me at the moment.

stubbieoz likes this.
  19. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I’m holding out hope that they update this. Was shocked that Final Fantasy 6 was updated with X support a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed!

L.Lawliet likes this.
  20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Updated for iOS 13 but… no full screen support, still borders :(

At least I hope it's playable now for those having problems.