Universal CHAOS RINGS III (by SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NaiveCynic, May 28, 2015.

1. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I'm still stuck because of the mocktupus bug but check out the manual in the options screen...there are bombs and secret passages to explore with!

Anyway, that Kepler gene seems to be useful for enhancing other genes for experience.

2. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Nope. I had my hopes up too :(

I also tried moving my saved games over onto my iPhone, but I updated it to 8.3 and you can't access the data files in that one. So it's stuck in my iPad. Bummer!!

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I saw some cool new featured apps on the appstore that required 8.3. Completely apalled. Not sure what new app would absolutely need the new firmware if not just to try to force people to update.

4. dudecoolguyman

dudecoolguyman Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    This was a double whammy review for me, L.lawliet AND Shaun gave it 5 stars. I think the planet almost exploded with sheer RPG awesomeness. Will be purchasing on the 1st, family budget day ;)

@L.lawliet I always dig your reviews , please keep it up. I've basically played every game you review because you take so much time to write it up so nicely. Much appreciated. TA should hire you :)

5. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    #185 L.Lawliet, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Aww thanks! I really appreciate that :) I try. Though I'm still a long way from Shaun. I need to touch up on my Japanese skills first. Be sure to come back once you've given CR3 a shot. I bet you'll like it just as much as we did!

@ Shaun: Do you know how to use the camera function? I unlocked a gift with the camera and converted it but I never see the camera option. Now I just got to the end of a subquest that asked me to take a picture of a person. Now I'm at the person and can't find any way to take a photo. I thought a camera prompt might appear on the screen but nothing showed. I'm just running around in circles. You have any idea?

EDIT: Wow found it after 30 minutes. You have to scroll the bomb icon. Really this is probably the worst explained item in the game. I checked the glossary and it didn't even explain how to use it.. Hopefully other people don't get stuck as long as I did! I still wish it was a legit screen capture as it seems like it's only for in game missions (Though you can screencap manually on the iphone anyhow).

6. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    You know we hear all this talk of freemium controlling the market, but yet we are still getting the games we want...full fledged premium gaming experiences. I was really happy when i saw shawns review on this and realised we have an amazing game. To all the people who wont buy because of SE not supporting some of the other EXPENSIVE games we all paid for, you really have my understanding, there is nothing worse then paying all that dollar for a game to not even be supported anymore and i personally had not got round to playing twewy, so yeah i understand where you guys are coming from as its hard to get that trust back. That said, i still am a big supporter of premium games, and can honestly say i have pretty much all the premium games out there, so my purchased list takes forever to scroll through lol So to anyone on the fence, this is an amazing game and is definitely a worthy asking price for this quality and content, so to anyone wanting to make a change for the better, please rate in the app store too so devs know these premium games will ALWAYS pay off....well thats the dream anyway! Either way enjoy guys n gals ✌#️✌#✌#✌#

7. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    That's goofy logic. The DS version of the game will always work, because the OS doesn't change each year. People paid their money for the product, and square's job was done. The iOS version came out years ago, and because you spent $20 they should work on it forever?

8. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Never played the first 2 but purchased this based on reviews and also to support the recent premium movement we are seeing. I really hope more devs release premium games. I will leave impressions soon

9. Alexythimia23

Alexythimia23 Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2012
    Right on!! ✌#️✌#✌#

10. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I got through the Mocktopus quest without crashing on my iPad 3 / 8.3, so it looks like it may just be the iPad mini that has the crashing problem.

Also, on the iPad 3, the image quality is set to medium by default, but I have changed it to high quality and the performance seems exactly the same, and it runs just fine.

11. derek111

derek111 Member

May 29, 2015
    :(:(:( sigh. Tried that with no luck

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    No Mocktopus crash here, iPad 4.

13. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Will contributing to Yae's shop give anything useful?

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I would at least hope for a disclaimer of "this product will only be supported till 201X", or "we cannot guarantee the product will be supported on future OS revisions".

15. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm 99% sure it does. Or else there would be no point to the shop.

But I would like to find out what it does by myself since I'd rather not be spoiled. The game has a lot of cool stuff it gives you out of the blue that you don't realize until it happens.

16. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, there's just so much stuff here and it's a little confusing since it seems like it was designed to be F2P. But it's all very exciting. And I'm super thankful I could give them all the money upfront. I need to save up some more currency before I start shopping though.

17. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    You know I wonder if it was, then again maybe they were just using those elements and blending it.

I probably don't think it's f2p originally only because it seems like there's nothing in the shop you absolutely need to survive. Aside from the super gear, there's mp potions and revivals which make the game easier but I haven't felt the urge to buy them. And if you play conservatively you don't need chocolates except for the stronger bosses.

Anyhow, I'm really enjoying the side quests in this game because they have interesting text stories and they all give 1 token. I feel like the token reward is always something to look forward to and it makes the game feel more rewarding :)

Also I'm not drowning in money like I would be in the other Chaos Rings games.

18. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    #198 Spinda, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Some observations about Genes.

Stats mainly rely on the actual gene and rarity (stars have some effect but not much)

Rarity determines how much total stats a gene has (and not just because of higher level caps, a L1R gene has more stats than a L15N gene), the actual gene determines the spread. Genes with more stars have more stats than genes with less stars but not a lot.

For example, a L50R Wagner (5 Stars) has 501-134-87-134-77 (433 total w/o HP), while a L50R Salome (2 Stars) has 514-101-99-108-102 (400 total w/o HP)

If you notice, Wagner has an ATK and SPD focus while Salome is more balanced. Which is what I mean when the gene determines the spread.

Regarding Kepler, Kepler does not increase levels when fused always. When I try to fuse a Kepler with that Wagner,the result is a L25R Wagner.

What Kepler is for is increasing the rarity of a Gene without changing it. To increase the rarity of a gene you fuse 2 Genes that are maxed and the result is the Gene that would normally come out but with +1 Rarity.

There's 2(3) reasons for this, the first is you only need to level up 1 Gene, since Kepler is maxed.

The second reason is to keep the Gene, for example, again, Wagner, she's ATK and SPD focused so she makes a good combo starter, she has Floodgate which turns the normal attack elemental (whatever the current element is) she has Physical and Magical boost (1.2 or 1.3x damage too lazy to check) if I try to increase rarity normally I'll lose her and only be able to carry over 2 abilities. But if I use Kepler, I get a SR Wagner.

The third reason, I'm not surer about this, is that fusing 2 Genes gives you a Gene with the lowest rarity of the two.

N+N = N
    R+R = R
    R+N = N

If this is the case then Max R + Max N might just give R (since R+N = N, increase rarity by 1 and you get R)

Kepler is SR and max level so fusing any max gene with him will result in increased rarity always.

Kepler also has a second use, and that's to fill up the blue slots of genes without abilites in them. Again, my Wagner is something I got fom a Gene Box so she doesn't have any blue abilities since I didn't fuse her. If I fuse her with any gene I'll lose her, if I have her learn abilities through items, those will only go into the white slots. But if I teach the ability to Kepler then fuse it with Wagner, the result is Wagner with the ability I gave Kepler in a blue slot.

Speaking of Abilities, Genes learn a new ability every 15 levels. Normals learn only 2 because they max at 30, Rares learn 4 because they max at 60. Superares probably learn 6. The ability page can only show 6 abilities (+2 blue from fusing) so depending on how many abilities a gene has initially you won't see all the abilities a gene can learn.

For example, Salome this time, she starts with 4 abilities (if she's Rare, rarity also determines the number of starting abilities) , so you only see the abilities she can learn at level 15 and 30, but when she reached 45 she still learned an ability.

When a gene learns an ability and it already has 6 abilities, you get to choose to either replace one of those abilities or not have it learn the new ability. This only applies to the abilities in white slots, blue slot abilities aren't counted (they can't be replaced either)

Speaking of blue abilities, when you fuse 2 genes, the resulting gene can inherit any 2 abilities from the parents. It can be 2 from one parent or 1 from each. Obviously if it already has that ability it won't be able to inherit it. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be a restriction to what abilities can bs inherited. The abilities picked are random, and you can attempt to reshuffle by canceling the fusion (you need to cancel back to the menu picking the FIRST gene. Repicking the second gene will not reshuffle the inherited skills)

Lastly, stats from seeds don't seem to carry over through fusion. I fed a gene 2 Defense seeds and attempted to fuse it and the result still had the same Defense stat.

19. lee_ya18

lee_ya18 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    It kept crashing on my iPad mini 2 too :( The mocktopus quest is essential to the game progress and now I can't get past it. Tried to change languange to Japanese but to no avail. Has anyone found some solution to this bug?

20. derek111

derek111 Member

May 29, 2015
    4S 8.3 doesn't work either:(:(:(