iPad Chaos Rings - by Square Enix

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Malphes

Malphes Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Does anyone know if the song summoner game is any good? I like SRPGs and it looked like it was one.

2. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Do you speak japaneese? If not can you explain why people saying things you
    Don't understand makes it worth it?

3. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Here are the reasons I am happy for the voice updates even though I don't understand Japanese:
    1) To me, the CR games are like playing interactive anime movies. I'm used to watching subtitled anime movies so hearing Japanese voices while playing these games makes it feel more like an anime to me - makes it feel like I'm playing something Japanese.
    2) I like hearing the voices - especially during combat. Makes the game feel less stale and sterile. Yes - even though I don't understand the majority of the words being spoken.
    3) The emotions and feelings and some characterization comes through in the voices. You're not just reading text most of the time when characters speak - you're hearing them speak as well so even though the words are not understandable the voices that were selected for the different characters really adds something I feel.

With that being said I certainly do not understand why the voices weren't offered as a free IAP "purchased" within the application. If I were someone who didn't care about the voices I for one would be quite frustrated at an already large-sized app being increased in size so much. Probably should have been optional.

4. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks andiron, that answered everything I was confused about, seriously appreciate the reply.

5. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Can you keep the english text and hear the Japanese voices?

6. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I believe so and this is a great way to enjoy the game.

7. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Yes. That's the default.

8. TheMadKing

TheMadKing New Member

Nov 20, 2011
    As it's been a while since I've played a JRPG, and as I'm studying Japanese (about intermediate level), it's awesome to hear that this game is voiced in Japanese. Could somebody tell me whether the text can be set to Japanese if it has been bought from the US app store? Thanks.

9. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Whelp, all I can say is, glad I only paid $4 for this. It's not bad, but man, I woulda felt jipped had I paid full price for this game. It's a neat, little Phantasy Star lite, but it's not wowing me, that's for sure. The concept is pretty cool, especially since it's not at all what I was expecting. The characters, though, are, unfortunately, of the new SE cookie-cutter factory, as opposed to the creations of old. After 60 hours with FFT, this is a little hard to stomach. Decent, but surely not worth $13. Ouch!

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Play through the whole thing. CR is, in fact, conceptually far deeper than FFT -- or pretty much anything that SE has put out since ChronoTrigger (I'm serious). The characters and their interactions are far beyond anything else in the FF cannon -- they're grow ups, for one. I can't think of any other JRPG that makes you question the very ideas behind JRPGs and video game in general. Pretty much all the assumptions that you've made in the first play though are upturned by the time you get to the last one.

Just one man's opinion, of course.

11. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Will do. But unless there are some drastic changes, I'm having a very hard time believing it's deeper than FFT. You're referring to the story, of course, right?

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    No: I'm talking about theme. FFT has a wonderful story, but it's very straightforward thematically (though emotionally it works). Chaos Rings is playing with themes that hark back to phenomenology and nietzschean philosophy (especially the concept of eternal recurrance). The game also draws a lot from the art of MC Escher (hence the main character's name). But most important, the game is very much aware of itself as a game, if that make any sense, and it plays with the tropes in ways that question our assumptions about how games are supposed to make us feel. Additionally, it also brings in interesting science fiction ideas about time travel, string theory(!), parallel realities, and the nature of human evolution. It's a very rich mix that's perfectly attuned to the "limitations" of iPhone development -- particularly budget. Again, this is one geek's opinion ;), so take it with a grain of salt. By the time I fully completed the game (took me about 25 hours) I was very, very, impressed.

13. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    #1293 sizzlakalonji, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
    I echo SZ's praise. I would add that I feel the same about the whole series. Omega as a prequel is almost an extension of the original, but CR2 is IMO the best in the series. I honestly have enjoyed playing these as much as many console games.

14. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    It is easy to fall in love and get drawn in by interesting concepts/ideas/themes.. but when too many things are left unexplained and not fleshed out ..I can only call it shallow and feel disappointed at the unfulfilled potential. =/ CR is the 1st game I played on my 3gs though and I was rather happy with the overall experience then but I am glad that CR2 has a much stronger narrative backbone.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Nothing felt unexplained or unfleshed out to me, so I can't share your opinion. In fact, I found the ending to be one of the more satisfying I've experienced on a JRPG.

16. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I bought this at full price, and seriously regretted it. I just didn't find the game to be too fun. I can't speak to the existentialism, but the little annoying shopkeeper annoyed the hell out me every time I had to speak to his annoying a$$ (and I know he has a very prominent part in the game). Then I got really tired of the random enounters, so when I found the device that let me turn them off, I did, which then left me under-leveled for the next boss. Deleting the game and freeing the space for other, cheaper, much better games, was one of the best things I've ever done. I keep telling myself I'll eventually try the game again, but I can't bring myself to do it.

17. userfume

userfume Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Damnit!

Just lost all my data on Chaos Rings - I was about halfway through Ayuta and Mana's story line (saving Olgar and Vahti for last) and I really want to finish it and see what happens but can't be bothered to go through it all again :( What do I do?

18. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Have someone transfer over a cometed game file and then backtrack (I dunno if this is possible? Probly not)

Contact square maybe? (I don't think that would work either)

I guess just have someone tell you the rest of the story...then start playing the sequel or prequel...

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woooo!!! Update!!!

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Finally! Woooooo!