iPad Chaos Rings - by Square Enix

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 19, 2010.

1. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    With apologies to GTA, this is probably the biggest profile release for this platform to date. This is the one game that people without an iDevice will potentially be pining to have. There have been some other notable titles that are iDevice exclusive, but if this lives up to the potential of other Sqeenix titles, then this could be quite a coup for this platform. I know that this could be possible, because I have been thinking about getting a PSP solely for the MG Spirit Walker title. I probably can't justify that purchase, but the fact that I'm even considering it says something about exclusive titles. To the people talking about price, can you just start a thread in the general games section and bitch there? If this title lives up to what we've seen so far, it's going to be well worth the price. If you can't afford 13 bucks, you can stick to doodle jump.

2. BrainGame

BrainGame Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    +1000000000000000000... stop being cheap

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Well put, sizzla. Basically, the App Store needs this pricing tier if it's going to support games of significant depth and content from major developers.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

At least when the iDevice gamer want to see their devices as serious gaming platforms.
    But I am wondering sometimes, too. People who run around with devices for a few hundred dollars complaining about 5 bucks? That's strange.

Chaos Rings is maybe the first step in the right direction.
    If Chaos Rings is a huge success, then nearly every DS or PSP game will be possible to come to the iDevices, too.

5. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere

Agreed. It may be a bit more than people expected, but if it's a consle-quality RPG, which was built from the ground up for the iPhone, I see no reason for them to charge a low price for this. I know I'll be buying it right at 11 tonight, regardless of price. If you want low prices, go buy your cheap $1 games, but for those of us who want quality over quantity, this is what we've been waiting for.

And I agree on the Peace Walker thing. I'm dying to get that game... I've been waiting for it since it was announced, and the demo is insane. It's probably going to be worth buying a PSP for.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    When you take into account the volume of games on this platform, it's not surprising that many people are looking for bargains. You find the same thing on PSN, DSiWare, and XBox Live (heck, I just picked up Wild Arms for $5.99 on PSN). What we are lacking is the other end of the market -- new games of significant depth and production value. I would find it encouraging if CR help to start a trend.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Agreed.
    I want real games, real experiences - not the 1000th Doodle Jump clone.

8. articulate

articulate Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Why not try out this game everyone plays everyday? Life. ;)

Apologies but I can't resist. What you said just sounds so overdone.

9. Matt56

Matt56 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    hahahahaha yeh just a little bit

10. RagManX

RagManX Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    I feel like I'm the only gamer alive who just doesn't care for Square Enix games. Tried over half a dozen FF games, and the best of them were not too sucky for my tastes. Can't figure out why they don't do it for me. I love many styles of RPGs, but every FF I've played was just sucky or boring (sometimes both) to me. FF I and FF 2 being the worst, although Kingdom Hearts was pretty weak, too.

I'd be willing to check out some limited scope version of this to see if it is different, or even pick it up to try in hopes of finally finding one that draws me in were it cheap enough, but at $13, this will clearly not be the one I try that finally gets me to see what's so good about Square Enix games.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    So, are you saying that people who like FF are into "sucky" games?

12. tadad1

tadad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Uranus
    Some screenies for you. I think it is really impressive, have spent 1½ hours slowly exploring and clearing the first 2 levels and finding my way around.

Your path is broken into maze like sections and you use crystals to move from section to section through different environments on each level. There are also puzzle rooms to solve to open pathways to proceed.

Entry to world map and shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crystals used to move through sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Puzzle room and level map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First 2 level environments and battle scenes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The obligatory Victory pose and stat screen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End of level 2 boss Cerberus

[​IMG]

The battle system is designed well, intuitive and easily navigated.

Attack can be solo or as a team for greater power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Special abilities or Genes as they are called.

[​IMG]

Items

[​IMG]

You can go to Camp anytime between battles and check your status or equip weapons and skills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even after such a short time for me Chaos Rings just oozes class, polish and value, and is everything I hoped for and more. The story line, dialogue, battle system, navigation, cutscenes, graphics and audio are all first class and there is nothing in this genre in the AppStore that even comes close.

Battery is charged and I have beasts to slay..........

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I like turn based combat just fine. I just don't like it forced on me every 5 to 10 seconds. Invisible monster encounters is a cheap, completely outdated mechanic which perhaps was necessary for technical reasons years ago, but it is just inexplicable to me how it persists to this day and why people put up with it.

Story? How am I supposed to enjoy the story when it is constantly interrupted?

Challenge and strategy? BS. The vast majority of random encounters are pushovers designed to merely slow you down and/or whittle away at you at best, to make a boss fight more of a challenge.

Immersion? From having a character run through deserted backgrounds of an utterly sterile, carboard world, only to randomly have that interrupted by being magically pulled into an equally sterile "battleground?"

But look, don't worry, I will leave quietly on my own now and leave you all in peace to worship the Square Enix deity and their "brand new" RPG. (I won't let the door hit me on my way out.)

14. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    +1,000,000

15. Matt56

Matt56 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    thanks heaps

16. eXistenT

eXistenT Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Germany
    wow,the screenshot it's so fit

but wtf 13$ ????why so expansive .9.99$ sound much better

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    @Gabrien: Stick to Zenonia or Dungeon Hunter if you want, I'm sure you'd enjoy those generic, cheap and poor man's clone of serious button masher.

Bye.

18. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Tadad, thanks a lot!! What device are you playing this on? How's the framerate? (comparison with other 3D games please)

Also, do you see many cutscenes? Because we know most games for iPhone so far are pretty shy about cutscenes.

19. laladanger

laladanger Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Woke up to this game a little while ago and those screenshots just sold me right there.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I actually don't disagree with you on the invisible monster issue: that's one reason why Chrono Trigger is my favorite SE RPG. I guess it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers you; in any event from the screenshots above the environment looks anything but sterile.

And of course, it should be made clear that some people can enjoy an SE game without being fanboys of the publisher.