Universal Chain Quest (Maximilian Optiz)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sugimulm, Dec 21, 2015.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Gotta reiterate, this is great stuff. Great lil game.

2. Bethor

Bethor Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2015
    I agree, once it has IPad support I will get it.

3. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    Love this. Anyone on the fence about this jump in! Hell I'd gift this to anyone I knew that would like it.

Two big requests .. Three. A portrait mode with the chain on the side and scrolling up and down to see the opponent but it would shift how the wall moves but would add a cool option to strategize with if integrated properly.

I want online or local wifi / Bluetooth multiplayer. And a versus mode where the board is bigger and both opponents play on the same screen / runes

4. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    I'm all in when they come up with a proper iPad version. I'll check back periodically.

5. r0mulus

r0mulus Member

Sep 21, 2012
    The game is great. I've spent many many hours playing and I'm still pushing for more.

Let's talk strategy. What are people finding as their best stat allocations? I'm really enjoying the rogue right now.

6. aDevBat

aDevBat Member

Dec 22, 2015
    DevBats Programmer
    Krefeld, Germany
    Hi all,

A happy New Year from DevBats!
    We gotta think about that iPad version, maybe we will tweak our schedule a bit. ;)

At this point in time it is unlikely we will make a mode with such sweeping changes. We have other things on our list we want to explore first :)

We are a tiny studio, while online or local wifi does sound nice and easy it is still very time consuming to build. No definite plans currently, sorry.
    About the second suggestion, the chip wall is an important part of the game, we are unlikely to remove it in any mode.

Cheers,
    Adam

7. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    I appreciate the response , I expected most of those requests to be a bit excessive. Would love for the multiplayer but I'm sure it would be a sizable task to implement. All in all it's an incredible game. Thanks for all your hard work! I look forward to seeing the game continue to grow

8. J.Leson

J.Leson Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2010
    #48 J.Leson, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Bought this game because I love match 3, the art style, and the devs seem to be super passionate and responsive about their game.

I hope development continues and we get an iPad version.

9. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    I am on an iPhone 6

10. robdabank

robdabank New Member

May 11, 2012
    Game looks great. But the app icon reminds me so much of an Adult Swim show Brak. Inspiration maybe?

11. aDevBat

aDevBat Member

Dec 22, 2015
    DevBats Programmer
    Krefeld, Germany
    Hi robdabank,

I'll ask our artist, but I do not see the similarities ;)

Cheers,
    Adam

12. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I don't even watch Adult Swim and I knew exactly what he was talking about as soon as I read it!

13. countBasil

countBasil Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 30, 2012
    #53 countBasil, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Fantastic puzzle/strategy game! Couple recommendations...

This is a VERY impressive strategy game--congratulations!

To improve its approachability for new folks, may I recommend:

* do not require the "?" be pressed to get the help text for potions and pets--since there's no symbol telling us what they do, better to always get that information from a quick tap (the help text can include "tap again to activate" or something)

* make the heart with remaining life float down with the washout effect. At first I though the % washout was representing a recharge or levelling up...took awhile to realize it was just another way to see remaining life

* on the 2 "bar graphs" on either side of the character, a small icon of physical shield and scroll would help users understand what they represent

* have some animation demonstrating exact effect of potions and pet, similar to that of the animation showing damage done by connecting tiles

* in the animation demonstrating physical/magic damage after connecting tiles, consider showing a BOTH the shield and the scroll (stacked vertically) next to the target, and have the numbers bounce off just the appropriate one. This will reinforce with new users who are into matching games, but aren't yet familiar with the rpg aspect, the difference between physical and magic damage.

* in the "Next Battle" screen, move "score" and "stage" above the combatant portraits. Put space below "Health" and "Defense." This creates a natural grouping in which health, physical damage/defense, and magical damage/defense are seen in appropriate clusters. Consider little icons (eg the scroll next to "resist") to clarify further. (Again, casual matching gamers won't know that "resist" means resistance to magical attacks ;) )

One other recommendation: I think smoothing out the edges of the coins would improve the aesthetic a lot. Currently makes the game seem "lo-res" rather than just fashionably abstract. I think it takes away from the great art overall!

Hope these are helpful :)

[sorry about the spacing--couldn't get unordered (bulleted) list to work...?]

14. aDevBat

aDevBat Member

Dec 22, 2015
    DevBats Programmer
    Krefeld, Germany
    Hi countBasil,

lots of interesting feedback here, I will try to respond to your points:

We could do that for the enemy side of the board, so you could always tap his skills once to get info (Which you can already to with a single tap, provided you tap the question mark once and leave it).
    As the player however you will most of the time remember which skills you equipped on your character.

Could you explain this a little clearer?
    Currently the heart is just a little hint so the player knows the number represents absolute health points.
    The washout is used to get a relative info of the characters health.

Tried that ;) we have a lot of stuff going on on the board already. Adding more elements, especially such small ones, overloads the UI.

We would love to do specific animations for each skill, sure :)
    But, speaking openly, as of now this would by far exceed our scope :(

Interesting idea, I will think about it, thanks!

The clustering is a good suggestion, adding icons could be too much. We will have to try that :)

Which device do you play on? In our tests it looked crisp on every device (to be fair, we have not yet tested it on the iPad Pro though ;) )

Very helpful feedback! Keep it coming! :)

I think it worked out nicely ;)

Cheers,
    Adam

15. countBasil

Patreon Bronze

Aug 30, 2012
    okay, at least this :)

Yeah, my point is that initially I thought they described two different things. So if you were going to keep both visual cues, having the heart sink with the progressing washout would clarify that they are the same thing. (Specifically I was thinking that the bottom of the heart touches the top of the non-washed out part...Don't worry about it if it's not obvious :) )

Oh, no, I didn't mean specific animations for each...just a visual indication of what's changing--at most an animation of numbers like you do for damage! This would show the user something happened.

iPhone 6S Plus

Glad :)

Best,
    Aaron

16. aDevBat

aDevBat Member

Dec 22, 2015
    DevBats Programmer
    Krefeld, Germany
    Hi everyone,

just dropping by to say our first update to Chain Quest is in for review over at Apple :)
    It mostly contains small touch-ups of the UI (and a few fixes ;) ) some of which we gathered here!

Also, we got a post over at producthunt.com! If you like our game please drop in, share a few words and upvote us :D

Cheers,
    Adam

17. legendofchin97

legendofchin97 Active Member

Sep 11, 2013
    #57 legendofchin97, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Loving this game... Few things...

Loving this game.... I wanted to see if you could make the screen scroll when your gems spill off the page. Also, I've seen a weird bug where there is a gem missing from the top. And another where the screen gets stuck on opponent side.

18. countBasil

Patreon Bronze

Aug 30, 2012
    Okay, couple quick points. Chain Quest joins only Guardian Sword as games that come close to Dungeon Raid in my book (and yes I'm including Darkin!). Which leads to these thoughts:

* okay, so about the "question mark" thing: let tap & hold give pop-up explanations. Not only consistent with many games including Dungeon Raid and Guardian Sword, but also good economy of taps! With the question mark, one has to tap elsewhere before getting the info, then turn the question mark back off. :p With tap & hold, your finger is already where you want the info, and the board is in its original state when you move your finger!

* added benefit of the above: you can remove the question mark, replacing it with an icon indicating what the bar on the right means, and then when you add an icon for the left bar, it will be adding only one visual element ;) [I still have to stop and think which bar is which, especially when they're both empty!]

* would LOVE to get a bonus (eg an extra of whatever you're matching) for longer chains as in Dungeon Raid. It adds a whole new level of strategy to try to build very long chains before matching things!

A couple more ideas :)

* here's an example of what I meant by having animations for potions: when I just activated FLURRY, it would have been nice to see the typical physical damage animation. This would show how much life I had, how much I lost, and clarify whether anything (like EVADE) blocked the attack.

* when the computer opponent matches a string of runes and leaves one or more contiguous runes (eg selects 6 out of 7 contiguous runes), it's so far from what a sentient opponent would do that I don't feel like I'm playing a fair game (a victory would be tainted).

Hope these are helpful! :D

19. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Count me as another who would love an iPad version. Somehow missed this when it was released, but it is on the watch list now.

20. aDevBat

aDevBat Member

Dec 22, 2015
    DevBats Programmer
    Krefeld, Germany
    Good news everyone!

The first update to the game has been approved :)
    Also, we now have a dutch translation!
    We fit in in a few cosmetic changes but other than that it is a stability update.

Next stop, iPad version!

Cheers,
    Adam