Celtic Heroes : iPhone MMO (Previously known as Highland Warrior)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoshCM, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I love high fantasy and often play as a mage in RPGs, but I also love the Scottish culture and country. A realistic MMO could be very interesting. Looking forward to its release!
    Oh sorry if this has been answered already (didn't see it in the few pages I read), but will this be FTP with microtransactions/IAP or subscription based?

2. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    It's still in development, but when released it will be free with some iAP's.

There is medieval style setting but it is leaning more towards Celtic Mythology than history, hence the name change from Highland Warrior to Celtic Heroes, and there are now a bunch of classes such as druids, rogues, warriors, mages and rangers. There is a pretty deep progression system of skills which you learn and upgrade, abilities which go up with use, attribute points you can assign and experience/levels to gain. There are lots of trainers throughout the land who you can learn from, and there is interplay between the skills/abilities/attributes which makes the progression more interesting.

The aim is still to have a more realistic feeling game than the more cartoon-like RPG games though, and the npc conversations, story and quests are something we are focussing on.

Here are a couple of pics of how it's currently looking. It is still in development though so be warned things are liable to change at any time:

[​IMG]

3. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Cool, I like realistic stuff over cartoony. Images look good - they look like the kind of game models I used to make about 10 years ago. Gotta love trying to cram as much detail as you can into a sub-1000 triangle model with a 256x256 texture and make it look like an actual person. :p

4. FlameOfWrath

FlameOfWrath Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Pipers?

And will there be pipers to summon the clan to battle? Yeh can't have a battle without a piper.

5. Skarthi

Skarthi Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011
    #85 Skarthi, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    Hi Onethumb Mobile

I've been following this thread for a while now, and I have to say the game is looking better and better! I really like how you have moved away from the stereotypical mmorpg and into a historical mmo!

I just wanted to suggest some features you may want to add:

1- I think mounts will be important, none of the fantasy stuff, just a simple horse will do.

2- Will there be clans and groups/guilds?

3- I think an action house is realy important, definitely include this

Sorry thats AUCTION HOUSE not ACTION HOUSE

I understand you will be pressured to try to include loads of stuff, but don't feel obliged to say yes to ideas:)

Thanks

6. jamesdoug

jamesdoug Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    How hard is it to but in dynamic lighting, that would instantly make it so much more realistic. Already it looks awesome and has 1000's of items. This game is going to be big!

7. jamesdoug

Mar 5, 2011
    Now use got gamelofts "order & chaos" game to compete with. I am definitely getting Celtic heroes first though.

8. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Male
    NJ
    Just want to say first of all, hello to the developers of One Thumb Mobile. I'd like to thank you for bringing another MMO to the iPhone and I wish you the best of luck with your game and it's success.

As an avid player of an MMO for quite some time now, here's what I'd like to see your game include or at least be considered.

What I would like to see:

1) Game itself I'd like to see it either released free or at a low price.

2) An option for a "one time fee" where we would pay and receive "membership updates" (Aka: Quests, Mini Games...Pretty much new content).

3) Use of TapJoy to earn "Premium Coins" which can be used to buy in app items and content. As this would help players who are on a budget (like myself) to enjoy premium content.

4) Mounts - These could be used as different types of pets/ways to get around the land faster.

5) Magic - I urge you to use some style of magic in your game I think it'd make for more future content, npc's and updates.

What I Don't want to see:

1) Subscription Fees - This is pretty much the only thing I can think of I wouldn't want to see in an MMO on the iPhone. I'm currently on a budget with a strict income and lucky to be making ends meat. I'd be more than glad to pay a fairly priced one time fee.

In closing:

I'd like to say I apologize if my post seemed self centered about myself being on a budget, but times are tough and I'm just trying to enjoy it as best I can.

I also wish you the best of luck with your game.

--Nick.

9. jamesdoug

Mar 5, 2011
    #89 jamesdoug, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    I am amazed by your efforts with this game. You have kept to the rules of a realistic game and have centered it in a real place, Scotland. There is only one other major 3d MMORGP on the iPhone application store and that is Pocket Legends. I have tried it and straight away, I lost interest. I was playing as a cartoon bear creature and found scripting problems on the starting quest.

Judging by the images that have been posted and the video, texturing, animating and scripting are much more advanced than many other RPG's I have seen. Unlike companies like gameloft, detail has actually been put into surrowndings. For example, the gameloft style wall is a mesh consisting of 4 or 5 vertices with low resolution texturing. I see it and am not sure if it is a wall, a rock, or flat garbage.

The characteristic I value about a MMO is that you can't finish it in theory. Sure you could get all the 1000's of items, but have you traded with gamerz192848 yet (example)? With so many people, there are so many options.

I have thought about payment options and now agree with your model. There will be the people who want to just play for a bit, but then there are the others who will go that extra mile (or $9) to expand their character.

Have beta testers been selected or are there still places? I am very interested the trial this game and report problems. I have played many games on the app store and am familiar with the MMO genre.

10. Aegis

Aegis Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    still looking forward to this.

11. altair77

altair77 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greece,Athens
    What i DONT want to see is premium content where someone pays and gets awesome stuff...this is stupid cause it ruins the game's fun thats the main reason i dont play free games online on pc

12. Skarthi

Mar 25, 2011
    has this thread gone dead? is the game still in developement?

13. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Stop complaining and get a life.
    It's their game and their choice.

14. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Why is it that so many people on these forums think that if no one (esp. the devs) posts on a thread for a week it means the game is dead? Devs don't usually have time to monitor and post on forums every single day. Just be patient.
    Now if they haven't posted in like 6 months, that's a different story...

15. Skarthi

Mar 25, 2011
    I am sorry I was enthused about the development of the game and was eager to support it.

And yes, I do not think the devs should be posting every day, or every week, but it was over a month since the last person has posted, and longer since the devs had posted. It is possible that the development could of fallen through, I was just asking.

16. altair77

Oct 22, 2009
    Greece,Athens
    lol you just fail its their game and you know who is gonna buy it ?guess!
    btw that was a respond to xxteargodxx

17. Jtown4prez

Jtown4prez Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Stop saying fail you heeb

18. altair77

Oct 22, 2009
    Greece,Athens
    lol what heeb mean anyway btw you should try to relax,just saying

19. Jtown4prez

Jtown4prez Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Well im relaxed now, but still doesnt change me post

20. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Eh, last person that posted before you was on 3/30 - that's just a week and a half before your post. And the dev posted on 3/24. So...not sure what dates you're looking at.