Celtic Heroes : iPhone MMO (Previously known as Highland Warrior)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoshCM, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    #41 Andiron, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

But they could shoot lightning. ;)

This game does look good and does reminds me of Mount&Blade. With this being based more in reality I wonder if some things could be added so that the player could eventually own land, titles, and eventually be Lords with their own castles perhaps complete with NPC guards, etc.

I really recommend the devs checkout Mount&Blade - that game is just begging for an open world MMO treatment and Highlander could borrow some ideas from it. I'd really love to see players being able to eventually build up their own mercenary company but that probably wouldn't work for an MMO.

Can't wait for more information on this and I wish the devs the best of luck.

2. Pint Size Design Dave

Oct 20, 2010
    Thank you all for your kind words and input, which is greatly appreciated. What you're seeing and will always see for the time being is always out of date to be honest as every single day we create and improve so many things about the game. Our HUD, our lighting, our texture work, our gameplay etc... it's all evolving fast and quite well if I do say so!

The details of the spells, magic etc are still in dicussion and we'll make the decisions we make and announce as we finalise our ideas.

Once again, thanks!

3. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    For the 'magic' side of things, we have a diablo style skill system where you can buy and activate special abilities, so the spells side of things will be there, but just not called 'magic'. It will be things like music, abilities, chanting etc

4. Pint Size Design Dave

Oct 20, 2010
    Wow, for the first time (I'd not seen it before) I just saw this on the iPhone 4 :D You'd think I'd be the one seeing it on iPhone4 pretty much all the time, but we've been catering to everyone so making it run on lower spec devices. Anyway... wow :)

5. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    Can we see some iPhone 4 screen shots? The graphics on this are really good.

6. Pint Size Design Dave

Oct 20, 2010
    Sometime soon screens will be displayed. A website for the game will also be going up in the very near future and more images, videos and information will be available at that time :) Of course, for you guys we'll also keep word posted here too!

Thanks!

7. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    We now have iPad and iPhone 4 versions of the game - it looks and plays really lovely on the iPad especially :)

We are now working on the lighting engine for the characters, and there is still lots of work being done to keep the game improving.

8. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    So you have already played the game and can comment on how much rubbish it actually is???? I love when someone comments on a game they have not even played yet to make a judgement on the game.

9. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

what an idiot. makes me feel bad for sharing the same name lol.
    I actually like the look of this game :)

10. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quick update - We've updated the game engine with new lighting and shadows - the game is still running OpenGL 1.1 so that as many people as possible can play it - we'll be doing an optional OpenGL 2 engine later on but for now we're focussing on putting in more gameplay and content.

Here are a few screenshots of the new engine.

Attached Files:

11. Kai824

Kai824 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Beta testing for big game companies
    The graphics don't look that bad!

I will look how this turns out with OpenGL 2!

12. Pint Size Design Dave

Oct 20, 2010
    Thanks ... we're working to make this game look as good as we can on the lower end devices too, which when you consider we have shadows all over the place etc too is quite an achievement. Frame rate is a consideration too. Of course, we have a native iPhone4 screen version too but we don't want to limit everyone. And this is all going to just get better and better.

:)

13. Klemen

Klemen Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    is the game dead? :(

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It's only been three weeks since the last comment from the developer. Three freaking weeks. Do you really think that a project of this magnitude is dead because the developer hasn't posted something in three weeks? Really?

15. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I like the scottish feel to this game. Like one other poster said, I hope we will be able to kill some Vikings. :)

And I agree with some other poster who said iaps ruin the mmorpgs already on the iphone. Just charging a flat fee (maybe around 6.99), would work best imo.

16. Pint Size Design Dave

Oct 20, 2010
    The project is far from dead. We've been making massive strides in the tech, gameplay, graphics etc. Keep an eye around. We'll put up an official site eventually too. :)

Thanks for the support :)

17. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    We've been adding new content to the game including fantasy content based on Celtic mythology. The Scottish area is where the Highlanders will start out, but there will also be other races each with their own starting areas, new classes including magic users, and new worlds to explore. Still a lot to do so please forgive us if the posts are not too frequent!

18. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    I'm curious as to how the pvp system will work in this game. I have an idea on a good way to do it.

19. rhasinski

rhasinski Active Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland

We don't currently plan to have PVP on release, but when we add it later it would most likely be in an environment like an arena where people will specially go to fight each other.

What was your idea?

20. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    #60 YouSuckDude, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    Pvp anywhere you just tap on someone and request a pvp. Once accepted all other players on the screen disappear for those two individuals. That would prevent lag in crowded areas. Add achievements on gamecenter and in game titles for a certain amount of wins. Being able to bet gold or items on a pvp would be incredible if you implement the chance of getting really rare items as a drop. Each skill takes a certain amount of time to cast longer times for skills that do more damage obviously. Add the chance to hit criticals, stun, poison, and make sure it's balanced between the different classes. Due to the chance of getting extremely rare epic weapons as a drop all testing would have to be done with end game gear to get accurate results. Also allows free movement during the battles to give mages the opportunity to kite as well as archers. Lol it'd be incredibly fun and should be possible doing 1 v 1 pvps